P1000 URGENT HELP Pioneer 1000-5 trail: Hopping/ Popping in 2nd, 4wd, occasionally it’d mode when turning deep and straight

B

Bjohnson46

Sep 12, 2024
Neon, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All help greatly appreciated. Issue started two days ago. I first noticed while putting the sxs in 4wd low, easing up incline, I could feel a slight click/ pop in the steering wheel while going straight. Next day, started testing the unit in all modes. It hops hard & slight popping sound while turn deep as unit will turn. Mostly occurs when unit is in 4wd and 2wd, occasionally in turf. Got the unit with all for tires off the ground trouble shooting. The mode selector seems to work on dash with little or no latency on display. Unit has about 6000 miles of trail riding. All fluids are full. Wheel bearing no slack, axles little to no slack. Noise seems to be coming from under passenger seat or rear drive terrain.

History: About 2 weeks ago I rolled the unit over an incline on it side. Roll cage caught it. Wicked with snatch block to with unit back up incline by hooking winch through snatch block, to rear roll cage. Following this incident, no damage or symptoms showed for 5-6 more rides (30-60 miles)

Please help.

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Welcome from Florida. I just changed a front axle for a bad CV joint after sliding into a rut. Can you isolate it to one side or the other?

B

Bjohnson46

Sep 12, 2024
Neon, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All help greatly appreciated. Issue started two days ago. I first noticed while putting the sxs in 4wd low, easing up incline, I could feel a slight click/ pop in the steering wheel while going straight. Next day, started testing the unit in all modes. It hops hard & slight popping sound while turn deep as unit will turn. Mostly occurs when unit is in 4wd and 2wd, occasionally in turf. Got the unit with all for tires off the ground trouble shooting. The mode selector seems to work on dash with little or no latency on display. Unit has about 6000 miles of trail riding. All fluids are full. Wheel bearing no slack, axles little to no slack. Noise seems to be coming from under passenger seat or rear drive terrain.

History: About 2 weeks ago I rolled the unit over an incline on it side. Roll cage caught it. Wicked with snatch block to with unit back up incline by hooking winch through snatch block, to rear roll cage. Following this incident, no damage or symptoms showed for 5-6 more rides (30-60 miles)

Please help.

Welcome from Michigan

What year miles? Got post pics especially the roll POIDH. Kinda required here. Post em up please!
23 Trail. 5700 miles.

Reactions: Remington and ChadD
B

Bjohnson46

Sep 12, 2024
Neon, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from Florida. I just changed a front axle for a bad CV joint after sliding into a rut. Can you isolate it to one side or the other?
How could I isolate? See I’m about to update below. Having hard time uploading videos.

B

Bjohnson46

Sep 12, 2024
Neon, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After some more testing, while turning the wheel deep as possible right in 2wd, the sxs makes a clanking/ slight popping noise and sounds like it’s coming from the passenger rear or just behind seat on passenger side. No sounds when cutting to left. While in 4wd, unit clanks/ slight slip going straight on incline. We checked all axles for slack and seem to be nothing out the norm.

I spoke with service at the dealer, they suggested checking the cable to rear differential to make sure it wasn’t in a bind. Make some adjustments to cable because it looked like it could had some stretch (shinny cable) while in 4wheeler, approximately 1/4-3/8”. After tightening, the unit was dropping out of gears and shifting extremely hard. Reverted adjustment by loosing to original location, unit shift normally.

Trying to upload some images & videos to now, but unable attach for some reason.

All help, greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Reactions: ChadD
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
After some more testing, while turning the wheel deep as possible right in 2wd, the sxs makes a clanking/ slight popping noise and sounds like it’s coming from the passenger rear or just behind seat on passenger side. No sounds when cutting to left. While in 4wd, unit clanks/ slight slip going straight on incline. We checked all axles for slack and seem to be nothing out the norm.

I spoke with service at the dealer, they suggested checking the cable to rear differential to make sure it wasn’t in a bind. Make some adjustments to cable because it looked like it could had some stretch (shinny cable) while in 4wheeler, approximately 1/4-3/8”. After tightening, the unit was dropping out of gears and shifting extremely hard. Reverted adjustment by loosing to original location, unit shift normally.

Trying to upload some images & videos to now, but unable attach for some reason.

All help, greatly appreciated. Thank you.
The noise as described sounds like possibly a CV joint on the right rear axle, could also be the rear diff is not unlocking to turf mode and is catching and making noise. I had a 2018 P1K LE with the I-4WD for 13 k miles and only had one axle CV go bad and it sounds like you described.

From your first post it also seems like you were experiencing and issue with the front diff with it hopping in tight turns? That is very not normal for an I-4WD machine, only the other model variations with a locking front differential, that what it sounds like initially from your description.

advertisement
B

Bjohnson46

Sep 12, 2024
Neon, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Please see videos. Sound appears to come near right passenger side, also notice sounds when I let off the accelerator. Greatly appreciate everyone's hospitality and help! Speaking with dealer, they though axle could be slightly bent or cable in bind. Cable isn't in bind. Wheel bearing seem solid. Shifter switches into all modes normally.
The noise as described sounds like possibly a CV joint on the right rear axle, could also be the rear diff is not unlocking to turf mode and is catching and making noise. I had a 2018 P1K LE with the I-4WD for 13 k miles and only had one axle CV go bad and it sounds like you described.

From your first post it also seems like you were experiencing and issue with the front diff with it hopping in tight turns? That is very not normal for an I-4WD machine, only the other model variations with a locking front differential, that what it sounds like initially from your description.
Yes sir, agreed on the cv joint on right rear. In regard to rear diff, when I switch from turf to 2wd, seems to switch unless something I'm not aware of. Also, the machine doesn't the sound in 2wd, reverse with steering wheel turned fully in either direction Not sure if this help, but trying to put as much info as possible. When in 4wd, machine does same going straight, do you think the right rear cv joint would cause this?
Thanks for quick response, Deer season is in and our dealership took 4 weeks to trouble shiit a winch blowing fuses, came to find a loose bolt on with LOL

Reactions: ChadD
B

Bjohnson46

Sep 12, 2024
Neon, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Please see video, more coming. Sound starts around 18 secs when letting off accelerator. I'm working on a video with good enough quality to hear the issue with constant throttle.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd give it about a 90% chance you've got a worn axle CV, it's kind of hard to hear what you're hearing in the videos.

At 16K miles on my P1K, I have a lot of experience with thunks. And without fail, it's always an axle CV - even when I think it's not.

B

Bjohnson46

Sep 12, 2024
Neon, KY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'd give it about a 90% chance you've got a worn axle CV, it's kind of hard to hear what you're hearing in the videos.

At 16K miles on my P1K, I have a lot of experience with thunks. And without fail, it's always an axle CV - even when I think it's not.
Thunks is a good word to describe the issue. Is this a tough change? From experience, is there any correlation to the direction the steering wheel is turned to which side needs to be replaced? For example, it only makes noise when steering wheel is cut deep right or 4wd, would you think it's a right or left Axle CV? Are you aware of special tools needed to complete the change. I have a service manual for 20xx-2020, I'm sure it's similar on 2023, given the changes from those years. Also, what's a PK1? LMAO......

I greatly appreciate all help. Glad this thread exists with price of dealership service and wait time.

Jankyeye

Jankyeye

Lifetime Member
Dec 17, 2021
Tampa, Fl.
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Thunks is a good word to describe the issue. Is this a tough change? From experience, is there any correlation to the direction the steering wheel is turned to which side needs to be replaced? For example, it only makes noise when steering wheel is cut deep right or 4wd, would you think it's a right or left Axle CV? Are you aware of special tools needed to complete the change. I have a service manual for 20xx-2020, I'm sure it's similar on 2023, given the changes from those years. Also, what's a PK1? LMAO......

I greatly appreciate all help. Glad this thread exists with price of dealership service and wait time.
If you can get someone to walk with you as you slow turn to try and pin point the axle it would be easier.

Hardest part is separating the ball joint on the A Arm. Axle nut is 32mm on a 22+ model year. After market axles are likely a 30mm (same as 16-21 years) but still work fine.

P1K = Pioneer 1000

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hardest part is separating the ball joint on the A Arm
It's easier to take lower shock bolt out and bungee the shock up out of the way. Then remove the 2 lower a-arm bolts, that allows you to push the knuckle and arms up enough to clear the axle. I use to do it the the balljoint way until @Hondasxs showed me this method on the trail a few years ago. I just replaced a driver front this week.

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X

Just follow service manual or u tube it to rebuild - the biggest struggle besides the axle nut will be the cv boot band/ear clamps

Just some advice - there is no better cv parts than the Honda OEM parts - don’t drink the kool aid