utility trailer brakes yes/no?

T

TomB985

Dec 27, 2014
I'm new here, but I'd recommend brakes. Being able to install them depends on whether or not your trailer has mounting flanges on the axles. Without flanges you'd need them welded on, and I'm not sure if your average welding shop has the equipment to get them perfectly aligned. I installed brakes on my single-axle trailer a few years ago because I've towed it with smaller tow vehicles. I currently use a minivan, so the brakes make me feel a lot better about it.

Probably not absolutely needed behind a ~6,000 lb vehicle like a Tundra, but they would significantly shorten your stopping distance. I'd spring for them if it were me.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice to have trailer brakes if you get trailer sway. Always good to have your brake controller mounted for easy access for the manual lever also. Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller is pretty awesome.

Added a controller to our Explorer Sport. Its tuned and has @400/450 and weights 400lbs more than my truck did but the short wheelbase and softer SUV suspension leads to some sway on the interstate. So I added brakes to put the tension on the setup if it does sway, and it will be straighter than an arrow and no sway. The Explorer has Sway Control but its gotta REALLY get moving for it to kick in, when it does it works shockingly well but I like to keep uncontrolled bowel movements to a minimum.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought a brake kit at tractor supply and it was cheap and easy to install. That was maybe a decade ago?? I’ve never serviced them and they still work great. It’s on a single axle 3500lb 6.5’x10’

View attachment 82539

It is nice to have for sure. Now I need to install a brake controller on the pioneer since this trailer doubles for off road use as well

View attachment 82540

Got mine a little cheaper from E-trailer.com and picked up the Redarc controller its a ¾" knob on the center console and thats all that shows.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!