P500 Valve adjustment

Mike49

Mike49

Mar 24, 2019
Nampa, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Just did valve adjustment on new ( to me) 2016 Pioneer 500, bought from dealer and just fully “serviced”. I also removed rear rack and plastics to get at things much easier. Valves were set at .009 and .011. Adj to .006 and .009 per the manual. Very easy when apart like this but never could find the TDC mark. Just bring piston up on compression stroke to top, very carefully until movement stops and both valves are loose. This also allows easy cleanup of intake system and access to crank cover. Added benefit is rubber adding rubber under exh heat shield to stop annoying buzz. Valves properly adjusted and rubber under the shield made a big difference in noise reduction. 9B2C4F29 CC19 44CA 90EC 102D109FB908

Nathanp500

Nathanp500

Feb 8, 2021
Somerset, WI
Ownership

1. 500
I adjusted my valves today at 700 miles. Definitely more quiet. Put in 5th gear before shutting it down and removing spark plug.

Reactions: Backwoods
alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Likely the most overlooked maintenance item on these machines is "valve adjustment", so good for you!

H

HondaTech

Honda definitely screwed the pooch on the timing mark. I alway move the battery box out of the way.

Nathanp500

Nathanp500

Feb 8, 2021
Somerset, WI
Ownership

1. 500
How far off were they at 700 miles?
When you push the sxs to get the piston on top dead center it is easier to push it when in 5th gear. I got it to move in second gear but wasnt easy. I know there is a way to turn the engine with out having to push it. But I didnt know where to do that. So if you know where to turn the engine without pushing it ignore 5th gear.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
I didnt measure but Im guessing they were each .004 looser than spec. Doesnt matter much on performance but does make a difference on how noisy they are.
Do you by chance know where one can find a guide on doing this as well as valve specs? I have only skimmed my manual so I might have missed it.

Nathanp500

Nathanp500

Feb 8, 2021
Somerset, WI
Ownership

1. 500
Hi. The specs are in the owners manual at .006 intake and .009 exhaust. I looked and could not find anyone showing the valve adjustment. Just found online if piston is on top dead center both exhaust and intake rockers are loose. Someone said they took off the back rack when they did theirs. I see no need to that. You just have to remove the guards under the seats and loosen the one the covers the exhaust valve so you can move it out of the way. Removing and reinstalling all the guards is what takes most of the time. Engine should be below 95 degrees is what I saw.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!