Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Im looking to try to redo the headlights on my nieces car. want you guys input on what products you have used and any help.

Reactions: sharp
Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have used the 3M restoration system. It is just basically wet sanding and then buffing the micro scratches out.

3M Headlight Restoration System, Sand, Refine, and Polish to Restore Cloudy and Dull Headlights, Drill Application, 1 Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AIZ5HY/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Honestly you can find nice capa certified headlights on eBay / Amazon / Rockauto for very reasonable amounts.

I’ve used the 3m kit but you’re better off wet sanding with 500 grit and stepping up to 5000 grit and then hitting it with compound.

In another year you’ll be doing it again. You also won’t get out the hairline spider cracks and road debris chips and pitting either.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Once they turn yellow you might as well replace them. Most of the headlights I've messed with started life with some kind of coating that I assume was a hard coating. Once you work on them you loose that benefit.

Reactions: Tramguage1
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I have used the 3M restoration system. It is just basically wet sanding and then buffing the micro scratches out.

3M Headlight Restoration System, Sand, Refine, and Polish to Restore Cloudy and Dull Headlights, Drill Application, 1 Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AIZ5HY/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I used the same thing on my 2009 Civic it works pretty well. But like others have mentioned, you will be doing it again in a year or so. I've done it 3 times now and it lasts about half as long as it did the first time I did it. I'll be replacing them in the next few weeks.

Reactions: Tramguage1
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Like said above, cut and buff using automotive materials. By the time they are bad most of the UV protection is gone that’s why they go to s*** worse each time. The only way I’ve had good long term luck is to sand them down heavy then leave in 1000grt, adhesion promote and use a automotive clear coat over. That gets the UTV protection back and they’ll last a long time after that. Cleared over lots of sets, works great.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thanks for the info guys. This is on my nieces first car, so hell she may not have both headlights in a year! If shes like her sister her first car lasted less than a year before she totaled it.:rolleyes:

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thanks for the info guys. This is on my nieces first car, so hell she may not have both headlights in a year! If shes like her sister her first car lasted less than a year before she totaled it.:rolleyes:
Another thing to do is swap out the halos for hid. Kits are cheap now, that’ll get the lumens back out there for her

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!