P1000 WARN Plow

R

raypa

Oct 31, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I creep and haven't posted much.... Hello all!! Ray from Pittsburgh.

OK. I have an '18 1000-5 with a brand new warn 6' plow. looks great! Plowing and plow not so much. I plow a gravel drive in the winter and recently tried to lightly spread 2b limestone. I have my springs on the toughest setting. My plow constantly flips forward. Even on the lightest of bumps or trying to push and inch or two of gravel. If the ground is frozen the plow works great as it skips across the ice, but on those 34 deg days when it digs in a hair, it flips forward constantly.Does anyone else have this problem or any set up recommendations?

Also, all my mounting pins for plow to SXS and the pully pin are constantly bending as they are soft steel rather than hardened. I'm going to replace them with hardened steel bolts, but what a lousy design. Warn even sent me new pins as I had to hammer them out because they were so bent.

I think it's a design flaw. I just want others opinions or theirs.

Thanks!!!
Ray

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Plowing snow off gravel.

I have a gravel drive also but not a warn plow (Swisher).
I set the feet on the plow to hold the bottom edge about an inch off the gravel.
This way the plow is pushing snow not redistributing the gravel on the lawn.
After 12 yeasrs the wear bar is showing significant wear on one side, I assume there is some gravel gets kicked up.

Plowing dirt/gravel.

It sounds like you are wanting to do some drive way maintenance.
I have tried this and it dosent work well with a snow plow.
I replaced the springs with some turnbuckles to keep the plow from tripping.
Then I didn't have the traction to move the plow.
I'm using an ATV so I added lots of weight and put the snow chains on.
Then it sort of worked or it dug holes.
Finally I bent the plow mount so I quit before bending the frame.
My conclusion is a snow plow and an ATV/SxS are probably too light duty for moving gravel and dirt.

I always wanted an antique tractor so I got a 1949 Ferguson TE-20.
With a box blade it dose a great job on the drive, filling in ditches and spreading rock in the new barn (current project).
I realize this has nothing to do with your current predicament but it is the solution I found.
Good luck and let us know what you figure out.

Reactions: Remington
W

WildTurkey

Feb 8, 2018
Nantahala NC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Also, all my mounting pins for plow to SXS and the pully pin are constantly bending as they are soft steel rather than hardened. I'm going to replace them with hardened steel bolts, but what a lousy design. Warn even sent me new pins as I had to hammer them out because they were so bent.

I think it's a design flaw. I just want others opinions or theirs.

Thanks!!!
Ray[/QUOTE]

Just be sure the mounting pins and pulley pin are not bending to keep other more expensive parts from breaking. For example most outboard motors have a sheer pin or rubber lining in the prop hub to allow the pin to sheer or the prop to spin on the rubber lining to minimize damage to the drive train when the prop hits something.

The soft steel pins may be serving the same purpose on your snow plow..

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
must be a poor design, I've brought my 700 to a screaching halt plowing a few times (plowing to close to stone walls ect.) and I've never bent a pin. My plow is an Eagle plow made by american manuf. it uses two 3/4" pins, if you bend them sumtings wong. As far as using your snow plow for anything other than snow, good luck, they just are designed for that type of work.

R

raypa

Oct 31, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The warm comes with 3/8 diameter pins to attach the plow. I may sell it ands try another brand. Would work great on asphalt

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The warm comes with 3/8 diameter pins to attach the plow. I may sell it ands try another brand. Would work great on asphalt
I have a KFI plow, it has 5/8 pins. (Actually the same ones you use on a 2" receiver trailer hitch to hold in the ball mount) this my second season plowing snow. I don't baby it I will ram into frozen Banks to push back. No issues. I had a rincon plow b4 pioneer, it had 3/8 pins, I broke one. In my opinion 3/8 pins are to small for the pioneer. So maybe your right to look at something else.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!