P700 Warn Winch failure

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey all, so upon looking at my winch tonight, it seems the Deere I pulled out cost me a winch. The winch drum on the side has cracked apart, housing split and its hard to free spool by hand. It was a hard pull, but what could have caused this?
Thoughts on a replacement?
Screen Shot 2017 06 21 at 84846 PM

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hey all, so upon looking at my winch tonight, it seems the Deere I pulled out cost me a winch. The winch drum on the side has cracked apart, housing split and its hard to free spool by hand. It was a hard pull, but what could have caused this?
Thoughts on a replacement?
View attachment 47054

Did the winch rope make contact with that crossbar and cause that crack?

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'd send that picture to warn with your explanation and see what they say. They might help you out who knows? Hopefully you can buy just that piece and don't have to replace the entire winch. In your owners manual (if you still have it) isn't there an exploded view of the winch with all parts numbered and identified? If you can get a part number that will go far in helping you get what you need.

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
So I emailed warn, they referred me to the local service centres. I called and they will warranty it, but they explained why it happened. My only cost is shipping one way.
This failure is a result of synthetic rope. As it stacks on the spool, because it's not rigid like cable, the wraps on top compress in and push the lower wraps into the gaps on the side causing this sort of failure. The guy I talked to said this will be his 38'th with this failure in the last 2
Years. So I asked if the make of the rope changes it or if the spool is different from the synthetic to cable, he said no.

So this is the possible and likely issue from using synthetic rope.

So I will be switching back to cable!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: joeymt33

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!