P1000 Warn Winch-Vantage 4500 Install Direction DOES matter

E

es335

May 28, 2020
Butler PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Don't want to start a heated debate on winch theory and installation, and, I am NOT a mechanic or electrical wiz, but I do most of my own mechanical and electrical work. That being said after buying my new 2020 Pioneer 1000-5 , I immediately bought a WARN Vantage 4500 winch and the Warn/Honda mounting plate. I began preparing for the install which I have done on three quads and two other SxS's. This one (Pioneer 1000-5) by far the toughest!!! The winch actually mounts "upside down" ie hangs from the mounting plate. This caused me much confusion regarding routing the cable and the direction of the winch motor when running. So , after talking directly to the Warn service people at WARN, here is what I found out (From them)

1. Do NOT change swap the yellow/blue wires to change the direction the winch motor runs. This winch MUST run "IN" the direction it is supposed to when all of the wires are correctly installed per the instructions and color coded connection points. Running the winch backwards (ie switching the wires to make the rotation run the opposite way) makes the winch run against the internal brake and WILL damage it. I called WARN twice, spoke to two different techs both said the SAME THING.
2. The Clutch engagement (Round Red Dial to engage/disengage the winch) must be on the PASSENGER side.
3. The cable MUST run under the spool ie between the spool an the bottom of the winch "feet " that bolt to the mounting plate when the winch is being run "IN".

So After a 3 hour session of swearing, cut hands, making up multiple new swear words......I got to take EVERYTHING back off and REINSTALL it!!!!!

Not trying to start a heated debate or "hate the new guy" string, just trying to save some others grief!!!!

H

HondaTech

Thats odd, every Honda oem winch I've installed on a P1K has had the disengagement knob on the drivers side. Then again I dont believe its mounted upside down either.

E

es335

May 28, 2020
Butler PA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Exactly! All of my previous installations-Knob on Driver's side. Easier to get to. but, I complied-not willfully but I complied!

Reactions: 906UP and Biteme

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!