P1000 Water in fuel and sub-trans.

rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Last weekend, I was on a camping/riding trip with some buddies. We had several inches of rain over the weekend and water made its way into my fuel tank and sub-transmission. Obviously I will be thoroughly draining the fuel and oil out and refilling.

The engine oil appears to be water free. Do I change it anyways? Or will it be okay? Also, where is the crankcase breather for the engine/trans oil?

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
How did the water get in there in the first place? I would like to think it wasn't just from leaving it out in the rain. If in doubt about water in the engine oil I would just change it, its not worth blowing your motor over $30 worth of oil IMO. On every honda I have ever owned the crankcase breather tube ran into the air box, thats where it is on my 700

rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
How did the water get in there in the first place? I would like to think it wasn't just from leaving it out in the rain. If in doubt about water in the engine oil I would just change it, its not worth blowing your motor over $30 worth of oil IMO. On every honda I have ever owned the crankcase breather tube ran into the air box, thats where it is on my 700
Well it is just that simple. Rode 30 miles the night before (no water or mud). Down poured over night. Had a break in the rain the next morning, so we were gonna ride. Drove 200’ and it died and wouldn’t restart.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your engine oil will be fine. The engine and subtrans oil are completely seperate. The crankcase vent is in the air box. Yes rain and washing can get water in your fuel and subtrans. The vents are stuck in the frame under the seat. Water gets into frame then into the vents. Check out my page have several pictures of it. I have reviews of my vent kit to prevent this. It extends all 6 OEM vent lines to the roof line. Also link below to order my kit on eBay. Happy Trails my fellow pioneer 1000 riders!

Honda Pioneer 1000 Seat Heat Solutions And Vent Kits

" The Original " Honda Pioneer 1000 Vent Extension Kit | eBay

rlutech

rlutech

Jan 18, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So I drained the fuel tank, and let it dry out for a day. I put it back in today, and after some cranking and sputtering, it cleared out, and the engine is back to running like normal. I then turned my attention to the sub-trans. I pulled the drain plug, and I couldn’t believe how much water was in there. My plan is to extend the vent tubes for the fuel and sub-trans. I’m thinking it will be in fine shape after all of this is straightened out. Still a little disappointed in Honda’s engineering on these vents...

Yankee

Yankee

Apr 29, 2016
Tennessee
So I drained the fuel tank, and let it dry out for a day. I put it back in today, and after some cranking and sputtering, it cleared out, and the engine is back to running like normal. I then turned my attention to the sub-trans. I pulled the drain plug, and I couldn’t believe how much water was in there. My plan is to extend the vent tubes for the fuel and sub-trans. I’m thinking it will be in fine shape after all of this is straightened out. Still a little disappointed in Honda’s engineering on these vents...
Had the same thing happen to me not long ago. I raised my vent lines as stated and drained my gas and sub transmission oil which looked like skim milk. I put the drain plug in and filled the sub trans up with kerosene and drained. Never did run it like that. Let it dry out for a pretty good while and ran two oil changes through it. Looks fine now

Reactions: Mudwing
TheHoover

TheHoover

Jun 26, 2018
PNW
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello everyone! Just joined. Looking at picking up a 2018 P1k-5D. Does anyone know if this problem has been fixed with the ‘18 models? Thank you! Going to go back today and drool over it again. Just gotta pull the trigger lol.

W

Wvbrian

Apr 9, 2018
Wv
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Honda has a lot of work on there intake system on p 1000 I took mine all apart and r tv all fittings found the one under seat loose. Plus they only fit together about 1/2 " and the more you tighten they pull off .both sub trans and gas vent run in rear seat Frame my gusset is water ran in frame and down vent lines . Hope honda make these upgrades on 2019 models including bed rail pockets and adjustable seat

shawshank63

shawshank63

Jul 7, 2016
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your engine oil will be fine. The engine and subtrans oil are completely seperate. The crankcase vent is in the air box. Yes rain and washing can get water in your fuel and subtrans. The vents are stuck in the frame under the seat. Water gets into frame then into the vents. Check out my page have several pictures of it. I have reviews of my vent kit to prevent this. It extends all 6 OEM vent lines to the roof line. Also link below to order my kit on eBay. Happy Trails my fellow pioneer 1000 riders!

Honda Pioneer 1000 Seat Heat Solutions And Vent Kits

" The Original " Honda Pioneer 1000 Vent Extension Kit | eBay
Hello and thanks for this post. I recently gave my p1000 a bath and drove it fine the next day. However after leaving it out during a rain storm it has not run right since. wouldnt start for a while now starts but wont idle. running rich. could the pressure washer I used caused a problem?

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello and thanks for this post. I recently gave my p1000 a bath and drove it fine the next day. However after leaving it out during a rain storm it has not run right since. wouldnt start for a while now starts but wont idle. running rich. could the pressure washer I used caused a problem?
Yes rain and pressure washer can put water in your fuel tank

Reactions: 0860silverado
RedFred1

RedFred1

Aug 4, 2018
North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Has anyone found the actual water entry points on the square tube frame members?

Thanks!

FredD

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Yes rain and pressure washer can put water in your fuel tank
Never EVER give a SXS a bath with a pressure washer. Too many open areas to do damage to. (Ignition coils, oil fill caps, fuel fill caps, powertrain vents, etc.)

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Never EVER give a SXS a bath with a pressure washer. Too many open areas to do damage to. (Ignition coils, oil fill caps, fuel fill caps, powertrain vents, etc.)
Shoot.. to his, his own. Lol.

Pressure washing is the only way to get this thing clean. Sometimes it takes 3 roatitions and I still miss spots.

But, yes, be cautious of spraying the motor, display, key, wires, connectors, switches, and such.

As for water entry into the frame, there are holes everywhere. Even sone of the joints have releaf holes between the pipes. Hondas fix for water entering the oem fuel tank vent location is to put more holes in the frame to let it out. You will never seal them up. Trying will only lead to holding.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!