P1000 Water in headlight. Best way to remove?

M

mjleblanc

Sep 23, 2019
Camas, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Went tooling around in the high country, and managed to plunge into a deep rut, which was conveniently covered with water, and basically flooded the entire driver side, over the top of the door, etc,. Winched out, and escaped. However.....

There is about an inch of water in the driver side headlight. It is not draining by itself, so would anyone have a good approach the draining the light?

MJL

Reactions: Isaiah
JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Pull the Bulb socket, stuff with paper towels. Grease it up replace socket, lesson learned!

Reactions: TripleB
Sjc3081

Sjc3081

Jan 16, 2017
Wappinger NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pull the bulb socket,suck out the water with a small fuel line type hose. Use a blow dryer to eliminate the condenstation.

Reactions: TripleB
S

sheba4

Jan 5, 2018
mn.
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Big Red
you do not need to drill a hole in it...poor advice...thats a hack way of doing it... remove socket and wick it out with a paper towel...

Reactions: zin01 and JsheII3
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
you do not need to drill a hole in it...poor advice...thats a hack way of doing it... remove socket and wick it out with a paper towel...
To each his own...ive done it for years to remove condensation from automotive headlights. Much easier than pulling the entire setup out. Just because its not "your" way doesn't mean it the wrong way.

S

sheba4

Jan 5, 2018
mn.
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Big Red
I know it's not me, it is just the professional way of doing things. Actually it is slower drilling a hole and using a dryer. If you brought it to honda they would never proceed that way with it. I keep my equipment neat, not holes in it for when I sell it...

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know it's not me, it is just the professional way of doing things. Actually it is slower drilling a hole and using a dryer. If you brought it to honda they would never proceed that way with it. I keep my equipment neat, not holes in it for when I sell it...
Haha...a hole in the headlight would be the least of my worries...i took my machine to honda once....spent the next 2 weeks fixin what they f***ed up. I do my own maintenance and repairs. Either way th OP asked a question...i provided a solution that works.

S

sheba4

Jan 5, 2018
mn.
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Big Red
Haha...a hole in the headlight would be the least of my worries...i took my machine to honda once....spent the next 2 weeks fixin what they f***ed up. I do my own maintenance and repairs. Either way th OP asked a question...i provided a solution that works.
Ok, I just like like doing it right, that only cone from my engineering background..
We are picky... good luck.

MikeyXX

MikeyXX

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2019
Oro-Medonte, Ontario, Can
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe you should rinse it out if you end up doing the removal version. If you just drain or wick it away, you'll still have sediment or a slime on the inside from the stale water. Rinse with distilled water or the like may give ypi better results.

Reactions: Mudwing
M

mjleblanc

Sep 23, 2019
Camas, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for all the responses. Couple of items I should have stated:

These are LED headlights, no bulb to remove
The front lens, ostensibly, clips on and very ostensibly should be removable. Yeah, not so much.
The factory installed it in such a poor fashion, that the entire upper rim is effectively open for water penetration. I removed the light and drained it. There is still grime on the inside of the lens, but I can't get to it, save destroying the light entirely. I'll drive it until these or that light cease to function 'enough', then replace the lot.

And I do not recommend letting your Pioneer try out to be a submarine. The clean-up was rather less than enjoyable. The plus side is now all of the driver side electrical connectors are pristine and properly greased.

Live and learn.....

M

mjleblanc

Sep 23, 2019
Camas, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh and that microwave suggestion? Brought back memories of the good ole USN, when a wayward shipmate decided that a microwave was perfect for heating a hard-boiled egg. We heard the pop from a few hatches down, and the resulting concretion of egg particles took days to remove.

Nice try though! :cool:

• Haha

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!