Water in the oil on my 2015 P500

W

Wendell_Jimbob

Nov 25, 2017
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Hello, I'm Wendell_Jimbob

In response to the poll regarding P500 trouble I would like to include a problem w/ water in the oil on my 2015 P500. First oil change was creamy white, second oil change showed the same. Have no idea where or how it is happening. I figure the water will eventually do some serious damage to the engine. I rely on the SxS to get me up and down 2000ft of mtn to and from the historic mining town of Pitkin CO where I park my car. My cabin is at 11,000ft, off the grid, no heat. The SxS helps me haul my winter firewood supply all Spring and Summer.

Here is a little info about me to begin with!
Honda SxS ownership : Yes, this is my first.
I have owned, or currently own the following: Motorcycle
My off-road experience level is: Advanced
My favorite place to ride is: CO mtns

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome to the forum from Texas.
Are you loosing any water in the cooling system?

Reactions: R-Lamm
Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Welcome from Central Arkansas!

R-Lamm

R-Lamm

Lifetime Member
Sep 27, 2017
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from SC!!! That is a new one to me...do not recall seeing anything on that! But you are right...not a good thing at all...definitely need to investigate that one! Hopefully someone here has a little knowledge on it and can point you in the right direction...if nothing else...people will be more than willing to help you walk through a few check points and work with you! Good luck!!!

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Welcome from Pa

W

Wendell_Jimbob

Nov 25, 2017
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome to the forum from Texas.
Are you loosing any water in the cooling system?
Im gonna check first thing in the morning. SxS is currently parked 6miles away down a steep dirt road. Gonna check to see if my car can get to it now that the snow has melted somewhat.

W

Wendell_Jimbob

Nov 25, 2017
Colorado
Ownership

1. 500
I just got my shop manual in the mail today. Replacing the head gasket sure looks like a nasty job. Wonder if anyone has ever successfully "patched" something like this w/ Bars Leak? I have owned vehicles in the past that specifically prohibited Bars Leak cuz it would block small passages and do even more damage than just water in the oil. Was only 3 deg this morning so I didnt go down the mtn to check the radiator overflow bottle to see if Im losing coolant.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I just got my shop manual in the mail today. Replacing the head gasket sure looks like a nasty job. Wonder if anyone has ever successfully "patched" something like this w/ Bars Leak? I have owned vehicles in the past that specifically prohibited Bars Leak cuz it would block small passages and do even more damage than just water in the oil. Was only 3 deg this morning so I didnt go down the mtn to check the radiator overflow bottle to see if Im losing coolant.
You've kinda answered your own question. The only time I've seen this work was with a Northstar Caddy (biggest POS ever made IMO, notorious for head gasket issues) and for the life of me, i can't remember what was used. Maybe hit up the Caddy forums and take a poll.

IMO, as dependent as you sound on your P500, I'd bite the bullet and get it fixed right and forget about it.

Reactions: swsebek
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
GM released a dissolving compressed pill looking thing that you dropped into the radiator and let the vehicles come to operating temperature. If you were to call or walk into a local GM affiliated dealer and ask for the North Star leak pills, they should know what you want. I don't recall the exact name of the item.

Reactions: DG Rider
advertisement
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
GM released a dissolving compressed pill looking thing that you dropped into the radiator and let the vehicles come to operating temperature. If you were to call or walk into a local GM affiliated dealer and ask for the North Star leak pills, they should know what you want. I don't recall the exact name of the item.
I have used these pills twice in the past on GM products. The last time I think they were $7 for 6 tablets. Both the vehicles went another 25k miles before the leak came back.

Reactions: DG Rider
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
[QUOTE="

IMO, as dependent as you sound on your P500, I'd bite the bullet and get it fixed right and forget about it.[/QUOTE]

I agree 100%

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Welcome to the forum there is a lot of good information and people on here.

Since you didn't mention it in your original post, had you been driving through water, it doesn't tend to get mixed with the oil without assistance from the person between the seat and steering wheel.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!