Water pump replacement

S

Snuggs

Jun 19, 2020
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Trying to replace water pump witch is in the alternator housing and I can’t seem to get it off any advice, do I have to remove the stator bolt ???

CBBCB511 6E81 43C5 ADA7 EAA941CBD5DD

Reactions: Biteme
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Why are you replacing it?
Is it leaking? How bad?
There has not been many reports of the seals going bad like the 700's and rincons do.

If its just a single drop after a ride... I would live with it. If it is a puddle... they yes replace.
Its common for the weep tube to be wet amd occasionally drop.

Anyways. Its a job and you are just starting...
Next step it the big alternator cover there.

Honda does not offer parts. They say replace the whole cover.
But they also say no seals for the 700 pump. But a good dealer can get seals. But the 700 pump is external. Big difference vs what we have here.

If you find the seals. Please post.
Continue to take and post some pictures of your escape. Lol.

Here is some help.

Reactions: Biteme and TripleB
S

Snuggs

Jun 19, 2020
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thank you , from what I’m seeing in the info you have posted I’ve done everything . Tryed prying pretty aggressive still not luck. All the bolts are out I see it says that it is magnetically attached . But not sure what to do at this point

Reactions: Biteme
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Thank you , from what I’m seeing in the info you have posted I’ve done everything . Tryed prying pretty aggressive still not luck. All the bolts are out I see it says that it is magnetically attached . But not sure what to do at this point
So you pulled this case off? Like I said. Honda says its not repairable and you need to replace the whole case. $250+
8403165a4dd3ffccec5cd6ae66c8e89a

Reactions: Biteme and TripleB
S

Snuggs

Jun 19, 2020
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Still haven’t got the ***** off yet . Yes Honda’s says you have to replace the whole thing 272+ new oil and coolant set me back a good 400 .

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Why are you replacing it?

Here is the service docs, and about all the help I can give.

Attachments

• 13. Alternator-Starter Clutch.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 293
Reactions: chads536
advertisement
C

chads536

Feb 6, 2022
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pulled mine apart today because the drain hose had a constant drip of coolant. I made the mistake of buying the same water pump seal kit before I pulled it apart. After I got it apart I realized that it doesnt appear to be serviceable unless you have special tools or take it to a machine shop. I ordered a new alternator cover from Mrcycles.com since they were the cheapest I found on the internet. Total came to 223.56 including the gasket and free shipping. I attached some photos of the alternator cover so everyone can see what the water pump looks like on the inside. I am pointing to the end of the water pump in the one photo. You can tell the shaft is placed in a part of the housing that is cast and looks like it would break pretty easy trying to take it out.
Hopes this post helps everyone!
Honda 2018 Alternator Cover 2
Honda 2018 Alternator Cover 3
Honda 2018 Alternator Cover 4
Honda 2018 Alternator Cover