BOX1

P500 Waterproofing for water and mud

Snapp252

Snapp252

Jan 18, 2017
Chipley, Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Hi everyone, new to the forum. I bought my wife a 2016 Honda Pioneer 500 for her birthday a few months back and she has taken to this 4 wheeling stuff big time. I just purchased a snorkeling kit that should arrive any day now and even though this will be more for those oh crap water crossings I would like to water proof as many things as possible. I would appreciate any info on how to prepare for the deeper water and mud because I know it is coming!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Hi everyone, new to the forum. I bought my wife a 2016 Honda Pioneer 500 for her birthday a few months back and she has taken to this 4 wheeling stuff big time. I just purchased a snorkeling kit that should arrive any day now and even though this will be more for those oh crap water crossings I would like to water proof as many things as possible. I would appreciate any info on how to prepare for the deeper water and mud because I know it is coming!

Welcome to the forum @Snapp252 . Some have put material in the wheel wells for splash cover but that won't help deep sea diving.
You might need a winch and waders or another machine to pull you out. :)

Reactions: Jshell3
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Your snorkel kit may already include this, but be sure to extend the breather lines on your front and rear differential, and your gas tank! The gas tank is very important for obvious reasons.

500 guys, is there a breather on the transmission too?

Beyond that many people put dielectric grease at all possible electrical connections.

After your snorkel is finished be sure to test it. What I mean is, with the engine running put your hand over the snorkel intake, plugging the snorkel. You should feel it suck your hand then kill the engine. If your engine is capable of running with the end of the snorkel plugged you have a leak in your system.

And @trigger is right, waders aren't a terrible idea!

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
Your snorkel kit may already include this, but be sure to extend the breather lines on your front and rear differential, and your gas tank! The gas tank is very important for obvious reasons.

Beyond that many people put dielectric grease at all possible electrical connections.

After your snorkel is finished be sure to test it. What I mean is, with the engine running put your hand over the snorkel intake, plugging the snorkel. You should feel it suck your hand then kill the engine. If your engine is capable of running with the end of the snorkel plugged you have a leak in your system.

Is there a vent on the rad fan as well? My 700 has one.

Reactions: Tflynn
Snapp252

Snapp252

Jan 18, 2017
Chipley, Florida
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the input guys. The kit came in and the directions that came with it recommended the radiator fan hose front and rear diff. and the fuel tank. I was able to grease every connection but the ones behind the battery box and a couple directly under the air box. Those suckers did not want to break loose so I figured they were gonna be pretty dang water proof. There was not enough tubbing to complete the job that came in the kit so I am gonna look locally to see if I can pick up some today and I will definitely try covering the snorkel to check for leaks. As of now I do not want to smear silicone around the air box. That seems like it would be a pain every time you cleaned the filter. Is anyone using another method to seal the box? Again, thanks for the input!

Reactions: swsebek and Tflynn
pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I use grease in the groove that holds the o-ring. It works really well.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4

Btw, is that dielectric grease available in a spray, or just tube?

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
I've never seen it as a spray, but either way use the tube and be generous. It displaces air and water to keep it dry.
I stand corrected. CRC makes it in a spray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I've never seen it as a spray, but either way use the tube and be generous. It displaces air and water to keep it dry.

Oh I'm aware of the value of it, just that some areas being difficult to get at, it would be nice if it was available in a spray with a little straw.

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
Understandable for sure. Done right you will only do it once.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Understandable for sure. Done right you will only do it once.

Well that's good to know. Are there instructions on the can for doing it right, or do you provide those as well??? :)

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4
I'm the wrong person to do things right, so I have been told.
But seriously, a healthy coating that completely coats the terminals inside as does not prevent the connector from seating properly is all it takes. for the average connector, a bit the size of a pea is about right.

Reactions: Montecresto
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!