P500 WE shock settings?

X

xxxtreeboy

Mar 30, 2018
Latrobe, PA
Ownership

1. 500
I just unboxed 4 WE shocks for my 2017 P500, and all four are preset at the 4th click from the hardest setting (softest setting seems to be 12 clicks from the hardest setting). Since I have no riding experience with these specific shocks yet, I would like a setting suggestion for front and rears from someone with experience. I need a compromise setting to handle spirited trail riding when I'm alone (under 25 mph on semi-groomed twisty trails, but never jumping or tires leaving the ground) and at the same setting to eliminate the "nasty jolts from hitting unseen rocks or dropping a front tire/whole front end into those surprise deep holes or ditches when my "jolt and jarring sensitive wife" is the passenger. Thanks for your suggestions.

Reactions: Vondy
Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I started soft with 2 clicks front and rear. Had some issues with fronts bottoming out and went to 4 then 6. For slow riding I would consider going back to 4 on front. No issues bottoming out after going to 6. I think my rear are still on 2(maybe 4,I'll double check) .

So 6 clicks from softest on front and 2 from softest on rear. These were settings with 400lbs of riders and cooler and recovery gear.

X

xxxtreeboy

Mar 30, 2018
Latrobe, PA
Ownership

1. 500
I started soft with 2 clicks front and rear. Had some issues with fronts bottoming out and went to 4 then 6. For slow riding I would consider going back to 4 on front. No issues bottoming out after going to 6. I think my rear are still on 2(maybe 4,I'll double check) .

So 6 clicks from softest on front and 2 from softest on rear. These were settings with 400lbs of riders and cooler and recovery gear.
Thanks for the quick info.. WE says they preset the preload to duplicate OEM shock length out-of-the-box, but if I have to adjust the preload to get my OEM ride height back, what kind of tool is used to move the preload rings on the shocks (screw driver and hammer to tap in the 1/4" slots on rings to rotate rings when installed on machine)?

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Spanner wrench. I used this one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GZP270/?tag=sxsweb24-20

If they are on machine, it's easiest to jack up machine to take pressure off and then adjust. I believe i took all the preload off before installing to make it easier. I can measure, but I think i have about 1 3/4" - 2" of thread showing above ring.

C

Chooglin

Spanner wrench. I used this one. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GZP270/?tag=sxsweb24-20

If they are on machine, it's easiest to jack up machine to take pressure off and then adjust. I believe i took all the preload off before installing to make it easier. I can measure, but I think i have about 1 3/4" - 2" of thread showing above ring.
Does that wrench have a good fit or is it a bit sloppy , I will be needing one of these !

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Does that wrench have a good fit or is it a bit sloppy , I will be needing one of these !

On my first adjustment I used a spanner wrench from a Polaris, it didnt work very well, was very hard to keep it in the notch . This one holds on much better but I have considered cutting the larger end off because it gets in the way with the tight area under the machine. I don't have a use for the larger end anyway.

Reactions: Chooglin
C

Chooglin

On my first adjustment I used a spanner wrench from a Polaris, it didnt work very well, was very hard to keep it in the notch . This one holds on much better but I have considered cutting the larger end off because it gets in the way with the tight area under the machine. I don't have a use for the larger end anyway.
Thanks for the reply

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I bought a spanner wrench at the dealer for like $7, worked fine. Like Jeep said just take the weight off of them. I set the preloads on the front to give me the same ride height as the stockers and put them on 2 clicks from softest setting. It was a little soft so I turned them up to 3 but haven't tried it yet. Read somewhere that the WE's have 1" more travel, if that's true then shouldn't we be able to lift the machine 1/2" higher?

luckymike

luckymike

Lifetime Member
Sep 5, 2016
michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Only have WE on the front.set them at 4,may drop to 3.picked up cheap spanner at Honda dealer.worked but a little sloppy.appalachian mtn rider has install video if needed

U

uconn411

Mar 24, 2016
CT
This is how the preload was set on mine from W.E. I’m going to be doing some real trail riding the end of June, not sure if I should adjust the preload. I did notice about 1.5” More height than stock after they were installed. 4b40c5ecda6ed2370de71d71fbe0069e

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

advertisement
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Noticed the buzz of the WE's has kinda dropped off with the release of the locker. Been tinkering with the adjustments since install and think I have them dialed in now. Rode with a couple of P1's all day yesterday and at a very fast pace for the P5. Off and on rain kept the dust down and allowed for better sight and speed. 30+ mph was common and noticed 37 once, not on the road either. I was blown away! Started taking the line of chop just so I could feel the suspension work. I know some speculated that they wouldn't make much difference but there's no way the stock shocks could've done what these were put through yesterday. Even if you don't plan to push that speed, it makes it a much more friendly trail machine. Worth every penny IMO. ;)
I had no idea where to set these shocks when I got them and started out at current ride height and softest settings. Noticed after a couple of rides that it had sagged a bit, springs wearing in maybe? I know every machine is a little different and I'm probably carrying more weight than most but figured I'd share where I ended up. Took my measurements from the top of the flat spot that is red, just before it starts tapering up to the through bolt, down to the top of the castle nut. Front preloads are at 3 1/8", rear are at 2 1/2". Shocks are set at 3 clicks from softest setting in front and 5 in rear. Curious how others are set up?
After riding the takeover with just the fronts I wanted to get them for the back. The wife asked 'why, the stockers did just fine'? Told her it would be even better and had to talk her into it. During the ride yesterday and without mention she said 'wow these shocks rock'! :cool:

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!