P500 P520 front WE shocks

Dave75

Dave75

Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 520
Installed front WE shocks today. It was an easy installation.
A lot better, not great it’s still a P520.
In an area where I could just drive 6 mph, I now can do 10 mph.
Have not done any adjustments.
Looking forward to testing it on the trails.

E6179020 85CF 4B67 860D 64AFC27ECC0A 9EF43FC3 249D 4ED0 96A3 45BAC59EEB6F 33A6882B E267 4FA7 8F3F 449AF6650009

Dave75

Dave75

Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 520
Changed some settings and been driving the p520 more.
The WE shocks do a great job when there is washboarding on the trail.
That was my biggest problem with the stock shocks, any washboarding I would need to slow way down.
It also does not bounce around like the stock shocks did at higher speeds.
Most of my driving is on dirt or gravel trails.
I think the WE shocks are worth the money.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Hope so. Mine came in the other day but I have yet to mount them.

M

msgtbill

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2021
idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Ordered in December and got them in March.
i sent them a question, because on the web site it says black ones are in stock, got a reply today that they should ship in the next few days. After the last trip down to the Salmon river I really need the fronts. The rears are already on but the front end is terrible... We shall see. Ordered mine in Feb so april would be good time.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
i sent them a question, because on the web site it says black ones are in stock, got a reply today that they should ship in the next few days. After the last trip down to the Salmon river I really need the fronts. The rears are already on but the front end is terrible... We shall see. Ordered mine in Feb so april would be good time.
For what it's worth, their site says silver springs are what they have in stock yet mine showed up with red springs. YMMV.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
For what it's worth, their site says silver springs are what they have in stock yet mine showed up with red springs. YMMV.

I never knew there was a choice other than silver or red? The silver ones were beefier if I remember right. I ended up painting my springs black. They've held up alright but occasionally require a touch up.

Dave75

Dave75

Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 520
When I posted they not great, there is only so much any shock can do with the p500/p520.
I understand there are limits to the p520 and still the p520 is better than my old Yamaha Grizzly.

Dave75

Dave75

Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2021
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 520
I never knew there was a choice other than silver or red? The silver ones were beefier if I remember right. I ended up painting my springs black. They've held up alright but occasionally require a touch up.
I am saving the stock shocks for snow plowing. They did a good job when the plow was up, not too much sagging.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I am saving the stock shocks for snow plowing. They did a good job when the plow was up, not too much sagging.

Yeah they work fine for plowing bc they're stiff as hell. I've read a couple of times where guys were putting the WE's on the rear first and then springing for the fronts later. The front is where it needs the most help with ride and rebound. After I got the fronts the rear didn't ride that bad with the stockers but I had to have them at that point.

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
[ How I wish folks with Walker Evans and Elka shocks would specify which model they have. Would be extremely helpful for those on the fence. For some reason, very very few specify which they have ]

I've tried to keep track but no eidetic memory here, best I can recollect . . .

I'm a sad panda . . .

;)

(Look for me begging test rides from y'all at Takeover!)

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Yeah they work fine for plowing bc they're stiff as hell. I've read a couple of times where guys were putting the WE's on the rear first and then springing for the fronts later. The front is where it needs the most help with ride and rebound. After I got the fronts the rear didn't ride that bad with the stockers but I had to have them at that point.
I have a feeling this is the case as well but went ahead and bought both just in case. I still cringe thinking about the front end slamming into those erosion ditches they cut across those long, mach35 mph trails. Those hurt.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
[ How I wish folks with Walker Evans and Elka shocks would specify which model they have. Would be extremely helpful for those on the fence. For some reason, very very few specify which they have ]

I've tried to keep track but no eidetic memory here, best I can recollect . . .

I'm a sad panda . . .

;)

(Look for me begging test rides from y'all at Takeover!)

As far as I know, there's only one WE set for the 500 other than heavier silver springs if desired. Pretty sure there's not many P5's heavier and I went with the standard springs. Set the preload for preinstall ride height and then start clicking. Some guys crank the preload way up but that just messes with wheel camber and makes it ride stiff. Forget where I'm at exactly but want to say 3 clicks from softest setting on front and like 5 in the rear. Once dialed in, I just left it.
You're welcome to test ride my machine but there's other mods that factor into its ride quality.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Don't be a sad Panda... life is too short.

I bought stage 1 Elkas. They should be here this week and I am trying to come up with a way to test them with some type of metric other than: "Wow! These $1k shocks ride great and I'm so glad I spent the money on them."

If I can get my hands on a gopro for a "before and after" run down a rocky trail. That might demonstrate more suspension movement, otherwise how would you truly measure it?

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
As far as I know, there's only one WE set for the 500 other than heavier silver springs if desired. Pretty sure there's not many P5's heavier and I went with the standard springs. Set the preload for preinstall ride height and then start clicking. Some guys crank the preload way up but that just messes with wheel camber and makes it ride stiff. Forget where I'm at exactly but want to say 3 clicks from softest setting on front and like 5 in the rear. Once dialed in, I just left it.
You're welcome to test ride my machine but there's other mods that factor into its ride quality.
Do you run more preload or compression damping on the driver's side due to uneven weight distribution? I usually ride solo (😢), so I'm wondering if I should attempt to set it up so it rides level with my fatass weighing down one side of it?

• Haha
Reactions: trigger
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I have seen in the race car world that people adjust preload side to side to compensate for driver weight. You figure that the average tracked car weighs in around 2k pounds. Add a driver on one side that is roughly 10% of that, and you can see why they get granular with weight distribution.

On a machine that weights roughly 1k pounds, (Old Ironsides excluded) I can see adjusting preload for a solo driver. Even with the weight of the gas tank on the passenger side, mine sits funny with only me driving. Much higher percentage left to right on a 1k buggy.

Rob

Rob

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!