P1000 Well, Don’t trust a dealer inspection on a new unit.

dezs1775

dezs1775

Dec 26, 2015
Orange city Florida
2021 pioneer found out the sub trans was empty at my first service. So completed my first service and went out for a little ride and noticed the trans was getting louder. After the ride and at home cleaning up the machine checked out the sub trans and it was empty. Filled it up and it took every bit of a quart and change. Now I get to find out the damage done. Not happy.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
2021 pioneer found out the sub trans was empty at my first service. So completed my first service and went out for a little ride and noticed the trans was getting louder. After the ride and at home cleaning up the machine checked out the sub trans and it was empty. Filled it up and it took every bit of a quart and change. Now I get to find out the damage done. Not happy.
I've seen on here that multiple machines not having any oil in the sub Trans with no damage. You probably won't have any issues. Dealers should definitely not let it go out the door like that but the owner should also check the fluids just to make sure. I'm guilty of not checking my fluids on my new machines also.

Last edited:
toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yes. It was ridiculous loud with no oil. I actually put used oil in it because that was all I had at the cabin. I think I’ll use thicker oil next time it is changed.

it is still a little loud, but I have a roof and windshield which makes it quite a bit louder in the cab.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yes. It was ridiculous loud with no oil. I actually put used oil in it because that was all I had at the cabin. I think I’ll use thicker oil next time it is changed.

it is still a little loud, but I have a roof and windshield which makes it quite a bit louder in the cab.
I learned a trick from @Ragnar406, a few were running the Alien Shade roof when it wasn't raining, the Alien Shade only made it a lot quieter and cooler. A few were leaving there Alien shad on underneath the hard roof, pop a few clamps and you had the Alien shade, I did this and I think the Alien shade under the hard top helps with noise.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No direct experience (my sub-trans had oil in it when I did my own first service), however, running it dry would surely do damage as accelerated wear. I would complain to the dealer and Honda and probably demand either a new sub-trans now or a written extended warranty on that part (for a lot of years!) if they won't replace it now. Running it dry is obviously unacceptable.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
That sucks man, What dealer?

Wellzy

Wellzy

Dec 9, 2020
SW Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My personal Sub-Trans issue was finding a drip under the casing at second oil change. I may have found it on the first service but I did not take the skid off for that one, I always do now.

This was repaired under warranty as the gasket between the casing halves was causing the leak. This drip didn't leak enough to even register on the dipstick, but it caused an oily skid plate. I was not happy to have a Honda do this, seems like the "is it ready?" checklist gets rushed in the assembly plant or dealership and things are missed. Sorry to hear about yours being dry, that is unacceptable IMHO.

IMG 9131 IMG 9134

N

Nvrgiveup

That would urinate me off to no end!!! My new 2021 P1K3 had 2-3 issues when I brought it home brand spanking new. There was an oil leak due to a gasket being pinched and either the dealer or the factory somehow forgot to hang the coolant reservoir prior to putting in the front plastic.
I hope your machine is ok!

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Agree, there's some pre-dealer sloppy assembly going on at Honda. Mine had a missing seat back bolt and plastic rivet missing under seat. Under seat rubber misaligned with additional holes punched through rubber for rivets, 3" long broken off piece of round file in between seat and back (apparently used the file to try to align holes), and of course the flux capacitor cables were not adjusted properly either, so wouldn't go into turf mode correctly.

Reactions: Lady01

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!