P500 Went to the dealership to purchase a 500, and then...

G

GregZoe

Apr 7, 2016
Pennsylvania
Hey someone has to take the risk, might as well be me, I got money to burn.:)

BTW, any you 500 owners regret that you didn't go with the 700?

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Hey someone has to take the risk, might as well be me, I got money to burn.:)

BTW, any you 500 owners regret that you didn't go with the 700?

I may have bought a 700 if I had a bit more money, but they are very different. One of the main advantages of the 500 is the small size. The 700 is much wider. They really are two different animals. You get almost as much utility out of the 500 but in a smaller, less expensive package. But at least the 700 comes with tires that have real tread... The only real disadvantage to me is the top speed of the 500. I run a lot of dirt roads and anything over 32 mph sounds like you're really buzzing the engine. However, I knew before I bought it that it wasn't going to cruise at 55 so it's not like I was disappointed. It's a very fun machine!

Whenever I ride through some tight twisty trails between trees that are 5' apart without slowing down, it reminds me why I bought the 500.

I can't help but laugh every time one of these manufacturers talk about their "CVT" transmissions trying to make it sound like something more than it is - a belt and snowmobile clutches. I know they work, but I just can't get behind it. I shake my head every time I see one trying to get out of a mud hole and smoke starts rolling because they are roasting their belt... Sorry for the long rant...

G

GregZoe

Apr 7, 2016
Pennsylvania
This is exactly what I need to hear. I BELIEVE the CFMoto may be a good machine. However with the Honda I KNOW it is a good machine.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
This is exactly what I need to hear. I BELIEVE the CFMoto may be a good machine. However with the Honda I KNOW it is a good machine.
Asking questions and doing your research is the best way to make sure you make a good choice. And that's what forums are for. Go buy one and post all the cool upgrades you will eventually make! :)

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We I've heard good things about the cf moto 800. The 600 is a pooch.

G

GregZoe

Apr 7, 2016
Pennsylvania
I have considered the 800, 62HP, power steering, tilt wheel, alloy wheels, digital dash, and winch. Nice perks for a stock machine.

SBuckJ

SBuckJ

Jan 21, 2015
Central PA
It all depends on what you plan on doing with the machines...That said, I owned an 800 RZR which cost a lot more than the 500 did BUT even at the same cost, knowing what I know now, even at the same price, I would still go 500,,,,just due to the maintenance needed to keep the RZR up...now let's ASSume the Moto is made as well as the RZR...do you still want to maintain it constantly?? Just something to think about.

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
I got a couple of the Honda's. A 700-4 and a 500. Neither one is fancy or fast and each have their good points but I can say they seem to be pretty good. The 700 started breaking in at about 3000 miles.The 500 I only have about 300 miles but it is still like new but much stiffer ride. It's great in the woods and tight places. The 700-4 is a family memory maker/workhorse. Nothing against the "other" new machine you mentioned but I wouldn't trade my 700-4 with almost 4000 miles for it new.

Best wishes!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Tflynn
G

GregZoe

Apr 7, 2016
Pennsylvania
Honda kinda reminds me of BMW, they don't do things fancy, they just make reliable and well running machines.

Last edited:
miano248

miano248

Sep 10, 2015
oceanside long island new york
I have a friend of mine who purchased a cf moto lots of extras for the money rode great till he had issues and repairs were needed 1) not to many dealers that support cf moto for repairs & parts 2) he had to bring it back to seller dealer were we live 3) sat @ dealership for over a month before parts came so the question you should be asking is if were ever you ride will there be parts / support for repairs are you willing to spend 8 or 10k for a machine to sit in a dealership or under your butt having fun mudding my buddy finally sold the cf moto for next to nothing do your home work dealers sometimes just wanna push products or move machines for newer ones

Reactions: SBuckJ and 500oneer
advertisement
G

GregZoe

Apr 7, 2016
Pennsylvania
The dealer that has it is a local dealer who also does repairs. He said that he has had no problems getting parts. He didn't push the CFMoto, he actually said that he felt Honda was the most reliable you could buy, but thought the CFMoto was a good machine even though it was new.

Reliability is definitely my biggest concern. The CFMoto's do look nice, but just wish there was more feedback on them.

miano248

miano248

Sep 10, 2015
Yes they are a sharp looking machine and they do come packed with a lot of extras but as I told my buddy when you go riding and something does go wrong especially on a long weekend ride were do you get parts if needed we ride a lot in Pa lost trails his second trip he snapped a tie rod end we went inside there dealership asked for that part and counter guy said YOU HAVE WHAT ?? We don't carry nor can we get parts for that so on the trailer it went his weekend was done if ride with me in the P500 for the weekend

miano248

miano248

Sep 10, 2015
There's no YouTube videos on reviews for there sxs there is some videos on there atvs but not many good luck with your choice I'm sure you will make the right choice

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They have an endurance race in canada? DirtTrax did a show on it I think it was a 24hrs race. 1 2 and 3 were cf moto. The 800 is almost a carbon copy of the can am 800. I'm not telling you to buy it. But I wouldn't lose sleep if I did get one.

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Do you really want to spend your money on a company that probably won't be around in five years and has no aftermarket support? Maybe you can get parts now, but what about down the road?

I just did a bunch of restoration work on a 11 year old Honda atv and all the parts were "in stock ready to ship" and at my door two days later. And they were what I would call obscure parts, not just really common things like brake pads. And you will have a CF Moto forever because I bet it's next to impossible to sell used.

G

GregZoe

Apr 7, 2016
Pennsylvania
I am going back to the dealer to take a second look, but I am leaning heavy towards the Pioneer 500.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!