Multi Western Canada Ride

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
This looked amazing! Maybe without a down pour for 2 hours…
Quick question on Canada maps...does/do the Crown lands issue trail maps similar to the US Forest Service? It appears in the US is cutting back on these relying on electronic and geostationary photo products from commercial sources? I haven't looked very hard yet but maybe GAIA is all that's really needed for BC travel. Someone smarter than I probably has the answer.

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
That would be nice….👍
We just spent 3 days in the Black Hills roaming around mostly on gravel roads in my wife's Xterra. I had ridden that area on a Harley years back but that isn't really the same. We loved it and if it wasn't 2 full days from home I'd spend more time there. I'm finishing a 4 year long project of a high clearance 8' x12' off road trailer/camper and it will be done this winter...that will make a longer stay probable and I can stay away from the $300 a night sleep spots in Rapid City.

We also hit the usual spots like the stone president and indian faces and the Minute Man display at Wall. I was one of the security reps to Pres. Reagan's team during the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty talks and it was interesting to relive some of that history. Also the Bad Lands National Park was cool and of course Wall Drugs for the 27th time...did have great pie and coffee free to Vets.

It's a ways off but we'd be real interested is seeing some of the back country in a Pioneer. Great area and I'm sure we only scratched the surface from gravel roads...We're ready to start packing!!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
We just spent 3 days in the Black Hills roaming around mostly on gravel roads in my wife's Xterra. I had ridden that area on a Harley years back but that isn't really the same. We loved it and if it wasn't 2 full days from home I'd spend more time there. I'm finishing a 4 year long project of a high clearance 8' x12' off road trailer/camper and it will be done this winter...that will make a longer stay probable and I can stay away from the $300 a night sleep spots in Rapid City.

We also hit the usual spots like the stone president and indian faces and the Minute Man display at Wall. I was one of the security reps to Pres. Reagan's team during the Strategic Arms Reduction Treaty talks and it was interesting to relive some of that history. Also the Bad Lands National Park was cool and of course Wall Drugs for the 27th time...did have great pie and coffee free to Vets.

It's a ways off but we'd be real interested is seeing some of the back country in a Pioneer. Great area and I'm sure we only scratched the surface from gravel roads...We're ready to start packing!!
Me too, I’ve not seen the Black hills from a SXS and I’m looking forward to the opportunity…

Wall drugs and the Badlands are quite a bit east of the Black Hills right?

GrnP500

GrnP500

Lifetime Member
Apr 21, 2019
COTXARLA
Ownership

1. 500
Really excited about this trip and my wife says this is her top pick for one our adventures next year.

We are watching the videos on the trails and roads. I have no preference on trail and we are open to camp every night or camp for a couple and then find a motel for a night then resume our trip.

My ideal ride would be a 4-6 day loop ride with at least one stop at a motel in the middle. Out and back is good too like the Rimrocker ride was.

Based on final route, I will decide if we tent camp or I pull a trailer for the ride.

My wife has never been to the Pacific Northwest or Canada. That elevated this ride to the top of the list!

Thanks to all that are helping organize this ride. I will try to organize something for 2023 in the Black Hills or surrounding areas.

Rob
Me too!! ^^^^^^

R

rickoshea

Quick question on Canada maps...does/do the Crown lands issue trail maps similar to the US Forest Service? It appears in the US is cutting back on these relying on electronic and geostationary photo products from commercial sources? I haven't looked very hard yet but maybe GAIA is all that's really needed for BC travel. Someone smarter than I probably has the answer.
once upon a time the forest service used to produce trail/forest service road maps but i don't think they do anymore.my go to maps are the backroad map books/online maps from mussio ventures.really accurate and are updated regularly.mostly i just follow whatever trail i'm on till i get to a junction then i follow that one.i have indian radar and very rarely do i get lost.turned around a bit once in a while, but i always sort myself out.google maps/earth screenshot will also work in a pinch.a poorly planned trip is also known as an adventure,right?

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
once upon a time the forest service used to produce trail/forest service road maps but i don't think they do anymore.my go to maps are the backroad map books/online maps from mussio ventures.really accurate and are updated regularly.mostly i just follow whatever trail i'm on till i get to a junction then i follow that one.i have indian radar and very rarely do i get lost.turned around a bit once in a while, but i always sort myself out.google maps/earth screenshot will also work in a pinch.a poorly planned trip is also known as an adventure,right?
Yes Sir that is an adventure!!

We did 64 miles of Forest Service roads in Idaho today and went up the mountain and back down but came out at a different place...sounds like we had an adventure ride. We went down what I thought was a road to a powerline right of way and it turned out to go somewhere else and it was too narrow to turn around on so we kept going to another unmarked road that by my indian compass was the right road and we found the resort cafe we were looking for at 1555 by my watch and they close at 1600 for the season so we left and ate fruit bars and mixed nuts for dinner on the way home. No GPS trickery this time.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use Gaia and purchase a $30/yr subscription. BC backroads maps is available as a layer along with hunting management areas, atv trails etc. This screenshot shows atv trails in orange/black.
4ADB4C63 52B0 49B8 9F86 416C16027C0F

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I use Gaia and purchase a $30/yr subscription. BC backroads maps is available as a layer along with hunting management areas, atv trails etc. This screenshot shows atv trails in orange/black. View attachment 297195
Yep, that’s what we’ve got….

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
OK guys, I've heard your votes for an organized ride in 2023 for the Hills and surrounding areas. I will start pouring over the trails and see if I can put together a multi day trip with a stop in key areas of the hills: Spearfish Canyon, Hot Springs area, Hill City and maybe Custer State park depending on how they view SXSs.

I also want to find out what people are interested in: breweries, vinyards, fishing, general sightseeing... Lots of cool stuff out there.

Who is driving the bus on this ride through BC?

Rob

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
All
OK guys, I've heard your votes for an organized ride in 2023 for the Hills and surrounding areas. I will start pouring over the trails and see if I can put together a multi day trip with a stop in key areas of the hills: Spearfish Canyon, Hot Springs area, Hill City and maybe Custer State park depending on how they view SXSs.

I also want to find out what people are interested in: breweries, vinyards, fishing, general sightseeing... Lots of cool stuff out there.

Rob
All the above….

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Me too, I’ve not seen the Black hills from a SXS and I’m looking forward to the opportunity…

Wall drugs and the Badlands are quite a bit east of the Black Hills right?
An hour or so East on I 90 from Rapid City.

Rob
We did the Canyon and on to Deadwood...Canyon was very nice but unless you need a tee shirt or want to see an old whore house I would pass on Deadwood...although there probably are members that could get off on that.

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
I use Gaia and purchase a $30/yr subscription. BC backroads maps is available as a layer along with hunting management areas, atv trails etc. This screenshot shows atv trails in orange/black. View attachment 297195
Great...we've looked at this 20x but have yet to get it. Copilot/navigator wants a new lap top for it so it could be a Halloween present. Thanks for the motivation!!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Rob
Main thing is defining a route with good camping and access to a motel every other night or every third night…

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Yep, I agree. For those that have gone to the Black Hills, there are key times to avoid: Sturgis Rally and when school is out for summer. Way too many people in the area and no camping can be had unless you are way off the beaten path. I have some contacts in the area to help get started.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update. I have been doing some research on the Cariboo area. I am planning a trip for this summer sometime to explore the Gold Rush Snowmobile Trail. There are lakes, historic sites, mines, etc. Passing through several small towns which allow atvs to travel on specific roads to access fuel, food, liquor ( can’t just buy booze anywhere in Canada) and motels. Starting in Clinton BC and ending in Barkerville BC. I would much rather do a loop trip rather than a single track but I’m going to check it out. My plan is to figure out how long of a trip it will be to see everything. If I learn enough maybe I guide a trip for 2023.

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Update. I have been doing some research on the Cariboo area. I am planning a trip for this summer sometime to explore the Gold Rush Snowmobile Trail. There are lakes, historic sites, mines, etc. Passing through several small towns which allow atvs to travel on specific roads to access fuel, food, liquor ( can’t just buy booze anywhere in Canada) and motels. Starting in Clinton BC and ending in Barkerville BC. I would much rather do a loop trip rather than a single track but I’m going to check it out. My plan is to figure out how long of a trip it will be to see everything. If I learn enough maybe I guide a trip for 2023.
We're in as long as there is no chance of us being mistaken for a convoy.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Glad to see some progress is being made. I don’t mind an out and back, especially if it is a long route.

Rob

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!