Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
And I guess I don’t know what Pioneer you have.
Rob
I’m pulling with the Talon….
59CFBB39 5623 434B B394 E520C265E1C8

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I’m pulling with the Talon….View attachment 289345
Hi,

Thanks for the picture! I love the set up.

But....

This set up has all sorts of questions for me: Since there is no publicized tow rating for the Talon and no factory hitch, how did you base your decision to tow with it and how much do you believe you could safely tow with it?

I'm sure it will tow it, but I wonder how the DCT handles it? The DCT is more of a performance transmission and I doubt it was designed to lug around heavy loads. I think the bed capacity was only like 300 pounds, which I am sure is related more to the suspension than the tranny. The reason I ask is based on other applications of DCTs in motorsports. For instance, my wifes new BMW X5 with the factory hitch and normal 8spd transmission has a tow rating of 6000lbs. If I bought the X5M, that is the same car with way more HP and a DCT, I can't even add a factory hitch and BMW does not advise towing with the X5M as the DCT was not designed for it. In the end, I know if I could get a hitch for the X5M, it would no doubt handle a reasonable load.

What is the tow weight of the fully loaded camper? Tongue weight?

I am glad we have people experimenting just as you have done.

I guess, rather than muddy up this thread, like I always seem to do when it goes off topic, I will start a new thread to discuss trailers and towing.

Now back to our regular scheduled program....

Rob

Reactions: Smitty335
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
My trailer is 650 lbs and I estimate 1000 loaded. I agree with you about the comfort and security for mama. Have you seen my trailer?
And I will certainly have to research the trail that is decided upon, view videos from others who have traveled it, and hear their comments on trail conditions before I would know if I could take my trailer…..
Sorry, I just saw your post with information in it.

Rob

Reactions: Smitty335
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Hi,

Thanks for the picture! I love the set up.

But....

This set up has all sorts of questions for me: Since there is no publicized tow rating for the Talon and no factory hitch, how did you base your decision to tow with it and how much do you believe you could safely tow with it?

I'm sure it will tow it, but I wonder how the DCT handles it? The DCT is more of a performance transmission and I doubt it was designed to lug around heavy loads. I think the bed capacity was only like 300 pounds, which I am sure is related more to the suspension than the tranny. The reason I ask is based on other applications of DCTs in motorsports. For instance, my wifes new BMW X5 with the factory hitch and normal 8spd transmission has a tow rating of 6000lbs. If I bought the X5M, that is the same car with way more HP and a DCT, I can't even add a factory hitch and BMW does not advise towing with the X5M as the DCT was not designed for it. In the end, I know if I could get a hitch for the X5M, it would no doubt handle a reasonable load.

What is the tow weight of the fully loaded camper? Tongue weight?

I am glad we have people experimenting just as you have done.

I guess, rather than muddy up this thread, like I always seem to do when it goes off topic, I will start a new thread to discuss trailers and towing.

Now back to our regular scheduled program....

Rob
214C137F B2D1 4295 A425 D004D867EAB3

Three years ago we used the Pioneer 1000-5 and did the Magruder Corridor from Darby Montana to Elk City Idaho over the continental divide, round trip about 500 miles….No problems whatsoever.

But to your specific question about the Talon, I don’t know, it has basically the same set up as the pioneer 1000 with about 35 more horsepower. I’m not concerned about it, but who knows for sure until I’m out there doing it. I’ve only tested it here about 20 miles on the county road.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
View attachment 289372
Three years ago we used the Pioneer 1000-5 and did the Magruder Corridor from Darby Montana to Elk City Idaho over the continental divide, round trip about 500 miles….No problems whatsoever.

But to your specific question about the Talon, I don’t know, it has basically the same set up as the pioneer 1000 with about 35 more horsepower. I’m not concerned about it, but who knows for sure until I’m out there doing it. I’ve only tested it here about 20 miles on the county road.
Thank you! Makes perfect sense that you had a working model to base it off of.

I still think a small trailer will work best, I just have to shrink my footprint and weight down now.

Rob

advertisement
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Late September or the first week in October is a beautiful time in Colorado. I thought it might be better to escape the heat of summer up north. Sounds like quite a few obstacles with fires, burn bans, and critters. I'm sure we will find the right time, the other logistics can come first.

Rob

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Late September or the first week in October is a beautiful time in Colorado. I thought it might be better to escape the heat of summer up north. Sounds like quite a few obstacles with fires, burn bans, and critters. I'm sure we will find the right time, the other logistics can come first.

Rob
Our trailer is 40”x6’8….
You can’t get any smaller…
You need a standard high clearance trailer axle that can take the bouncing, and be pulled on the highway….

But I’m just telling you Rob, having bought the first available P5 at my dealership in August of 2014, and pulled stuff with it plenty, you’re not going to be able to do anything back there over 500# and be able to negotiate any stepped hill climbs, I think…….🤔

Anything you make will have to be means tested IMO….

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I appreciate the extra info. I’m sure it’s going to be a challenge to get the weight and durability right.

I’m sad about the 500 pound recommendation though, I need to start looking at all factors: elevation, load, road/trail conditions…. Ideal conditions rarely happen in my world.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I appreciate the extra info. I’m sure it’s going to be a challenge to get the weight and durability right.

I’m sad about the 500 pound recommendation though, I need to start looking at all factors: elevation, load, road/trail conditions…. Ideal conditions rarely happen in my world.
Just remember it’s my opinion based upon my experience. 👍

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
@Rayger143 , no hurry whatsoever, but please be thinking about a trail that would have a suitable staging point to leave trucks and trailers and do a 4,5,6 day out and back or loop and then provide info on trail conditions if you don’t mind…..😎👍 At you convenience of course…..😂

Last edited:
Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Rayger143 , no hurry whatsoever, but please be thinking about a trail that would have a suitable staging point to leave trucks and trailers and do a 4,5,6 day out and back or loop and then provide info on trail conditions if you don’t mind…..😎👍 At you convenience of course…..😂
I am working on it. I have a buddy in Clearwater which is east and over the hill from @rickoshea and he is checking into it. If we decide to ride that area we may have to lean on Rick a little for some info.

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
I built a steel frame with 3/4" plywood body that is 5' x 5' x 40" high and it weighs around 500 with 15" tires. There are pictures of it under construction somewhere I think in the weather thread. I asked Caper to post since I'm not smart enough to post pictures. If yo can't find that send me a text and I can forward them to you...I am smart enough to do that. Mine has foldout top to 8' wide to allow a 2 person tent to be set up. I felt at RTT was too heavy and really didn't gain much for me. I really like to use a hammock anyway if there are trees which is not a problem in BC.
Speaking about security...remember you can't bring handguns into CA and shotguns only with a permit...and rifles only to hunt...unless things have changed from a couple years ago.
Monte certainly has more experience than me pulling trailers. I have a 700 and pulled an 800 lb boat about 12 miles and up 4K feet without much problem at all. Biggest problem I had was coming back down braking constantly in places. I suppose I could have used low range but that's too slow. Brakes are just something to consider.

Reactions: Caper and Rayger143
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Speaking about security...remember you can't bring handguns into CA and shotguns only with a permit...and rifles only to hunt...unless things have changed from a couple years ago.

Monte certainly has more experience than me pulling trailers. I have a 700 and pulled an 800 lb boat about 12 miles and up 4K feet without much problem at all. Biggest problem I had was coming back down braking constantly in places. I suppose I could have used low range but that's too slow. Brakes are just something to consider.
How’d you get a low range in your 700???

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

Rob
So far early October drew the least scoff….😬

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!