CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Did you find a central location to camp when you were here? May be looking for a place to go in a week or so (weather permitting). Not opposed to dry camping, but we are kinda fussy about road/parking area condition after we leave the asphaltView attachment 326709
I stayed in two places when I was there (my first time ever). First was an OK camping spot, quite dispersed and not all that crowded. There's an exit right where hwy 7 skims the Arizona state line, I was eastbound from hwy 15, took the exit and turned south at the stop sign; as soon as I made that right, a sign said Welcome to Arizona. At 3/10 mile, I turned left into a well traveled creek bed, I wouldn't be afraid to take your class A there. But you're plated, you could ride there in short order, unless you just wanted to go glamping. It was dusk and I was panicking, so any port in a storm that worked out. Riding west of that spot - the dust was terrible, it just hung in the air. There was a sign that said Toroweap 80 miles IIRC but the road was rough from the loose rocks (although wide and class A friendly, but rough). I kinda wanted to see Toroweap but that's a long day on a rough road (unless it gets better once over that mountain range).

One of my favorite rides from that area was Black Rock Canyon. It was rough and rocky so I turned around on a steepish downhill once I could see it was going on forever, southbound. The further I went, the further I'd have to backtrack.

The second spot was FAR LESS enjoyable but I'm a single guy and wasn't there for the ambiance, just the free camping. I was gone all day anyway. That spot was right on the dirt access road that runs south of Sand Hollow, 1/2 a mile west of the giant new water tank (before you get to the tank). It was very dusty and highly traveled, including a non stop string of dump trucks. It didn't help that it was the Thanksgiving weekend, hundreds of SxSs drove by too. My small class C is a Jeep CJ-5 compared to your class A but I didn't want to just drive up to the water tank hoping there was camping because I'd have to come right back out that way anyhow. There's a wide spot just before the cattle crossing where I pulled off so I got to listen to vehicles bounce over that for 4 or 5 days. Not a parking spot I'll use again but there is parking across from the water tank.

From this spot I was able to get in to Sand Hollow from the southwest but the deep sand intimidated me, being alone, so it was a quick in and out before I found the fun stuff Lil_Steve and I rode on our maiden Talon adventure.

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I stayed in two places when I was there (my first time ever). First was an OK camping spot, quite dispersed and not all that crowded. There's an exit right where hwy 7 skims the Arizona state line, I was eastbound from hwy 15, took the exit and turned south at the stop sign; as soon as I made that right, a sign said Welcome to Arizona. At 3/10 mile, I turned left into a well traveled creek bed, I wouldn't be afraid to take your class A there. But you're plated, you could ride there in short order, unless you just wanted to go glamping. It was dusk and I was panicking, so any port in a storm that worked out. Riding west of that spot - the dust was terrible, it just hung in the air. There was a sign that said Toroweap 80 miles IIRC but the road was rough from the loose rocks (although wide and class A friendly, but rough). I kinda wanted to see Toroweap but that's a long day on a rough road (unless it gets better once over that mountain range).

One of my favorite rides from that area was Black Rock Canyon. It was rough and rocky so I turned around on a steepish downhill once I could see it was going on forever, southbound. The further I went, the further I'd have to backtrack.

The second spot was FAR LESS enjoyable but I'm a single guy and wasn't there for the ambiance, just the free camping. I was gone all day anyway. That spot was right on the dirt access road that runs south of Sand Hollow, 1/2 a mile west of the giant new water tank (before you get to the tank). It was very dusty and highly traveled, including a non stop string of dump trucks. It didn't help that it was the Thanksgiving weekend, hundreds of SxSs drove by too. My small class C is a Jeep CJ-5 compared to your class A but I didn't want to just drive up to the water tank hoping there was camping because I'd have to come right back out that way anyhow. There's a wide spot just before the cattle crossing where I pulled off so I got to listen to vehicles bounce over that for 4 or 5 days. Not a parking spot I'll use again but there is parking across from the water tank.

From this spot I was able to get in to Sand Hollow from the southwest but the deep sand intimidated me, being alone, so it was a quick in and out before I found the fun stuff Lil_Steve and I rode on our maiden Talon adventure.
Uhhh, i think i boo booed. "Here" was meant to mean where the map was created in the swell. Next time you come my way (nov through may we're normally here) we could fit you in my driveway complete with water and power, no traffic, 3 miles of asphalt to sand mountain and cookies. toroweap is a 200 mile (easy roads, we take the Cherokee) day. Must be street legal though. Lots of things to see here, limits are daylight and fuel capacity - i have lots to share. Kathy wants to know where you're headed in the next couple of weeks, maybe we would crash your party;)

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Uhhh, i think i boo booed. "Here" was meant to mean where the map was created in the swell. Next time you come my way (nov through may we're normally here) we could fit you in my driveway complete with water and power, no traffic, 3 miles of asphalt to sand mountain and cookies. toroweap is a 200 mile (easy roads, we take the Cherokee) day. Must be street legal though. Lots of things to see here, limits are daylight and fuel capacity - i have lots to share. Kathy wants to know where you're headed in the next couple of weeks, maybe we would crash your party;)
Oops. ROFL I wondered why you were asking ME about where YOU live. LOL Imma send you a PM, stand by.

Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Gaia works on Androids also. And, they normally have a GPS chip to avoid having to use a remote GPS receiver.
It does, you just have to download the map sections you want before you go out since it doesn't have a cell signal. CID turned me on to gaia and I took it out once so far and I like it.👍 Following his advice I bought a cheap $80 refurbished galaxy tablet and dedicated it to gaia. Even the mounts he recommended work pretty well, though the name of it escapes me at the moment...:rolleyes:

Kal

Kal

Feb 22, 2022
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The cheaper tablets I've looked at don't have a GPS chip, do you have to download maps for each area? And how does it know where you are without a chip? If you know of a $100 tablet with a chip, can you post a link for us? Note that you can get a GPS receiver to work with a tablet but I'd rather have it contained in one unit - I have no idea what the price comparison would be between the two choices.
Yea, I have to download what sections I want to go to beforehand since it has no cell service but I have most of my state (at least areas I might want to go) downloaded, and I can do that with multiple map types. I picked up a refurbished Samsung galaxy tab a7 lite for it for $80 on evilbay, has GPS, and works great so far. I think between the tablet, case, and mounting system I have about $200 invested in it.

advertisement
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Where’s you’re next trip planned too?!
Il be headed down to Buffalo mountain/ devil anse HMT system for an extended Memorial Day weekend. Super stoked for it, I’ve been to the southern HMT systems Pocahontas/ Indian ridge and ivy branch a bunch of times . Looking forward to trying something different.

View attachment 326470 View attachment 326471
Since Walters ranch closed our first summer ride will be to the LOTO in Missouri on May 1st.

It will be our first time at the LOTO

B

BrendenS

Aug 1, 2021
Hastings Nebraska
Ownership

1. Talon X
If anyone wants to organize a long weekend trip out there, let me know. I might be able to make it. I will be out-gunned with a P520 compared to a Talon and 1000, but I will try to keep up.

Rob
We will be staying at Mystic Hills Hideaway campground June 11th thru 16th if you or anyone wants to tag along. I think it's about 10 miles south of Deadwood and has direct trail access. Now need to mail paperwork to get temp plate to drive on the roads.

M

Mastabeta1

Oct 9, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5

3. Other Brand

4. Talon R
July gonna ride 1500 mile loop in south central Idaho. Gonna cover some of montana to access the lolo motorway then back to southern Idaho. Start at our cabin and end at the cabin for 10 day total loop.

Marc1991

Marc1991

Nov 30, 2020
New york
Ownership

1. 1000-3
July gonna ride 1500 mile loop in south central Idaho. Gonna cover some of montana to access the lolo motorway then back to southern Idaho. Start at our cabin and end at the cabin for 10 day total loop.
Grindy, I’ve been able to put on 150-200 miles a day. Some of that was on road. That’s a along trip, but sounds fun! Enjoy and safe.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!