What am I looking at here?

L

Logdog10

Apr 11, 2021
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
2021 Talon SE. Just brought home yesterday. Live valve warning light has been on since I got it off trailer. Looked under hood and see this loose connection. Vehicle seems to drive fine. Appears to be coming from steering column. Anyone know if that’s how it’s supposed to be or am I missing a part?

15A96C63 166A 460D A060 99EDDCAE42EF

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Now the factory is just leaving random $hit unplugged? Honda US quality is getting worse by the day :mad:.

That is the steering angle sensor. Just find the matching plug and insert until it "clicks". LV warning may or may not reset itself. It might take a short drive over 20 mph to reset.

If it doesn't reset, you can try to reset yourself or take it to the dealer and make them reset it.

H

HondaTech

Now the factory is just leaving random $hit unplugged? Honda US quality is getting worse by the day :mad:.

That is the steering angle sensor. Just find the matching plug and insert until it "clicks". LV warning may or may not reset itself. It might take a short drive over 20 mph to reset.

If it doesn't reset, you can try to reset yourself or take it to the dealer and make them reset it.

Not only that, but the dealer obviously didnt complete the setup process correctly or it would've been caught before the machine left the lot.

Under the hose is where the other side of that connector should be.

L

Logdog10

Apr 11, 2021
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
2021 Talon SE. Just brought home yesterday. Live valve warning light has been on since I got it off trailer. Looked under hood and see this loose connection. Vehicle seems to drive fine. Appears to be coming from steering column. Anyone know if that’s how it’s supposed to be or am I missing a part?

View attachment 293337
Thanks for the info! I tried to find the opposite end but haven’t been able to under the hood. May have to look deeper into the dash

L

Logdog10

Apr 11, 2021
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Not only that, but the dealer obviously didnt complete the setup process correctly or it would've been caught before the machine left the lot.

Under the hose is where the other side of that connector should be.
Awesome. Thanks!

L

Logdog10

Apr 11, 2021
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Anyone know how to clear the LV warning light? Found and connected the steering angle sensor, but haven’t been able to clear the light. May end up having to take it to my local dealer to perform, but would like to save myself the trip if possible

B

bowhunter280

Sep 6, 2021
Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Thanks for the info! I tried to find the opposite end but haven’t been able to under the hood. May have to look deeper into the dash
Had the same issue with my SE and unplugged and replugged and ran it and the issue went away! Dealer says never seen that before or heard of that issue!

Reactions: Logdog10
Enigma

Enigma

East Tennessee Mudder
Lifetime Member
Mar 22, 2020
Rocky Top
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Quality control at the factory or the dealership? PaulF - what else should LogDog10 check before he takes it back to the dealership? Suggestion? Thanks

Last edited:
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
That is just poor quality control at the factory and dealership. PaulF - what else should LogDog10 check before he takes it back to the dealership? Suggestion? Thanks
Most dealers are selling a few machines a month so this is just inexcusable to do such a poor delivery at this point. Dealers have all the time in the world so these machines should be perfect when delivered.

If that dealer is letting machines out the door with warning lights on, I suggest he checks everything. But most importantly...

1. Sub-Transmission Oil level. Seen many machines delivered with little to no oil in the sub-trans. If run low, you will notice a whine and if run low too long, you will wipe out the sub-trans. Dipstick is just in front of the engine on the passenger side.
  2. Air Filter Seals not seated. Although rare, it can cause sever damage to the engine.
  3. Air filter housing tubes not properly installed onto the throttle plates. Check the 2 clamps and make sure they are fully tightened against their stop collars. If the clamp is tight but the stop collar spins, this is an indication that the tube is on incorrectly. Again this is rare but will cause dirt intake and engine damage.
  4. Front diff vent hose nipple that goes into the frame is sometimes glued over and plugged. This can cause premature front seal failure. Pull the nipple from the frame and make sure it (and the hose) are not plugged.
  5. Crappy driveline yokes on the 2 seaters. Drivelines are known to fall apart in just a few hundred miles. There is no practical way to check them so many are just tack welding the cups to be safe.
  6. Steering Rack (NOT the wheel) not properly centered. Seen many machines where the steering wheel appears centered but discover that the rack is off center and the wheel is just on crooked to compensate. Causes the machine to turn sharper in one direction and in extreme cases, the wheel will rub on the A-Arm. This is extremely important on a LV model or it will throw a code. Here is a post that explains how to check and straighten if needed...

Last edited:
L

Logdog10

Apr 11, 2021
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Most dealers are selling a few machines a month so this is just inexcusable to do such a poor delivery at this point. Dealers have all the time in the world so these machines should be perfect when delivered.

If that dealer is letting machines out the door with warning lights on, I suggest he checks everything. But most importantly...

1. Sub-Transmission Oil level. Seen many machines delivered with little to no oil in the sub-trans. If run low, you will notice a whine and if run low too long, you will wipe out the sub-trans. Dipstick is just in front of the engine on the passenger side.
  2. Air Filter Seals not seated. Although rare, it can cause sever damage to the engine.
  3. Air filter housing tubes not properly installed onto the throttle plates. Check the 2 clamps and make sure they are fully tightened against their stop collars. If the clamp is tight but the stop collar spins, this is an indication that the tube is on incorrectly. Again this is rare but will cause dirt intake and engine damage.
  4. Front diff vent hose nipple that goes into the frame is sometimes glued over and plugged. This can cause premature front seal failure. Pull the nipple from the frame and make sure it (and the hose) are not plugged.
  5. Crappy driveline yokes on the 2 seaters. Drivelines are known to fall apart in just a few hundred miles. There is no practical way to check them so many are just tack welding the cups to be safe.
  6. Steering Rack (NOT the wheel) not properly centered. Seen many machines where the steering wheel appears centered but discover that the rack is off center and the wheel is just on crooked to compensate. Causes the machine to turn sharper in one direction and in extreme cases, the wheel will rub on the A-Arm. This is extremely important on a LV model or it will throw a code. Here is a post that explains how to check and straighten if needed...
This is great! Thank you!

Reactions: Smitty335
L

Logdog10

Apr 11, 2021
Alabama
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
UPDATE

Regarding the LV light,

took it to the dealer for them to look at it and also get the first 100mi servicing. The problem was the steering angle sensor not being zero’d out from the factory. No real problem to be corrected, just a sensor issue. The Honda district manager was able to talk the mechanic through the process over the phone with no issue. Apparently this is a very common problem with the new SE models

• Sad
Reactions: JenElio and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
You've probably already stumbled on the New Talon Owners thread linked in my sig but if you haven't, it has some basic Talon information.

Reactions: JenElio

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!