crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Hi,

There are lots of reasons for a vehicle to push (understeer). For the 500/520, its mostly because of the locked rear end. if there was any differential action, it would turn tighter. And it gets worse if you put in a front locker or select 4wd. Once again, this limits the tires from turning different speeds. Wheels that all turn the same speed will push and pull a vehicle forward and resist turning.

But for those of that have added the torque locker, its a trade off in traction is worth it.

In the automotive world, it can be a lot of things, tire pressures, spring rates, weight distribution and transition... it basically comes down to traction in most cases.

Rob

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
Hadn't thought about the solid axle and/or the locker. I know from the few times I've ridden in the snow the thing won't turn at all in 2wd., but putting it in 4wd. took care of that. There have been a couple of times on a muddy trail it would oversteer in 4wd as well. Not been a problem yet but did scared me once.

Last edited:
Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hadn't thought about the solid axle and/or the locker. I know from the few times I've ridden in the snow the thing won't turn at all in 2wd., but putting it in 4wd. took care of that. There have been a couple of times on a muddy trail it would oversteer in 4wd as well. Not been a problem yet but did scared me once.
More weight on the front tires might help if possible.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
First, make sure your front tires are toed in properly. On an ATV with a spool you can offset understeer with body english and putting more weight on the outside foot peg, but in a vehicle your in not on its more difficult. If your talking about slow speed understeer better directional tires will help, so will a little extra weight on the frontend. If your talking high speed understeer you want to learn how to execute a Scandinavian Flick. Perfecting this will make you the Ken Block of the neighborhood. In this manner you are turning understeer into oversteer.

ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
One other thing that needs looked at is the actual rolling diameter of the front tires compared to the rear. When in 4 wheel drive if your front rolling diameter is smaller than the rear you are inducing scrub that becomes understeer when you try to turn. You can slightly adjust that with air pressure

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!