P1000m5 What did you add to/do with your Pioneer 1000 5 today?

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Added Counteract Balance beads to my wheeler today. 4 Oz per tire.
Quick 0 - 45 mph ride around town in a rainstorm was noticeably smoother.
View attachment 367763
Replaced the protective sleeve on my amsteel blue winch rope, today.
I also bought a spare for winching through trees, rocks or bad angles.
They're worth it IMO.

Seadonist

Seadonist

Feb 8, 2021
New Orleans
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not done “today” but over the course of the last couple months:

SATV forward arms
SATV fender well guard
Mudbuster XL’s
SATV HD tie rods
Warn front bumper (fabbed a skid plate for it as well)
Warn Axon 45S
Diode Dynamics 6” amber LED bar in bumper
UTV801 windshield
Honda wings door graphics kit
4” GDP Portals and frame stiffener
30” SATV Intimidators
14” MSA Vibe wheels (not installed yet)
Rough Country bed extender
17” SATV curved rear view mirror
Rough Country under dash storage
298bb9a2cbab730a2662148d25c54490
Aaf40cab3e6f479b23e613e441d0e7f7
5109fc3da43bf70fd04b8da64a93fc13
E3568054986aa25a740e6b72a16859d9
2aa500ecf8f14fc345db4c62c8e9c3b5
Ff7c360ab559bb8cd17f3f234b371693
38ae24f3ec0010be199a4a4fdf41f7e3
F65905e3fec519abb9d4886e78b52734
83b8ae7bc2a2a4aaa00aebb20a6036a6

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seadonist

Seadonist

Feb 8, 2021
New Orleans
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also got the FL Cracker tunes. The tune coupled with the 15% gear reduction makes this machine a whole different animal on the 4” portals and 30” Intimidators. Very happy with the way it turned out. Thanks, FLC

Bandman

Bandman

Jul 17, 2021
Hayden Lake, ID
Ownership

1. 1000-5
F

FredReid

Oct 9, 2020
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Also got the FL Cracker tunes. The tune coupled with the 15% gear reduction makes this machine a whole different animal on the 4” portals and 30” Intimidators. Very happy with the way it turned out. Thanks, FLC

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but any pics with your portals installed?

GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

SATV forward arms
SATV fender well guard
Mudbuster XL’s
SATV HD tie rods
Warn Axon 45S
UTV801 windshield
30” SATV Intimidators
View attachment 368236
View attachment 368237
View attachment 368238
View attachment 368239
View attachment 368240
View attachment 368241
View attachment 368242
View attachment 368243
View attachment 368244

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but any pics with your portals installed?
Like 4 posts above yours…

F

FredReid

Oct 9, 2020
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-3

SATV forward arms
SATV fender well guard
Mudbuster XL’s
SATV HD tie rods
Warn Axon 45S
UTV801 windshield
30” SATV Intimidators
View attachment 368236
View attachment 368237
View attachment 368238
View attachment 368239
View attachment 368240
View attachment 368241
View attachment 368242
View attachment 368243
View attachment 368244

Looks GOOD!

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This item is posted on multiple threads. This is a follow up to a previous post.:

We finally got a break in the weather, home projects and health issues. We were able to take our P1K-5 out to get a long ride and evaluate the RC Shocks in detail. We rode about 70 miles at Mt. Magazine, AR; these are trails that were very familiar to us, so we could concentrate on getting a valid impression. These shocks work amazingly well, we immediately noticed that the machine does not chatter nearly as much over washboard roads. The machine us also less harsh over sharp edged bumps. The improvement is very evident.

The machine seems noticeably smoother over most bumps, however some additional preload may be needed. I believe that my initial preload "guestimate" was slightly low. However, that will be an easy fix. In addition, after 60 miles of initial break in, the ride height settled a bit, since all shocks will "settle" somewhat during break in. This allowed more sag than desired which in turn uses up more suspension travel. I will add some preload and re-test.

While these are not FOX, WE, ELKA or 814 Shocks, we were not anticipating that they would be. That being said, We still feel that the RC product is a good improvement over the stock shocks. One thing that needs to be considered is that these shocks do not have the "Self -Leveling" feature, this may be a deal breaker for some users. The adjustable preload and lift capability is worth the price alone. You can get 2" or so of lift without the disadvantage of a bracket lift changing the shock angles. These should ride better than stock shocks on a top mount bracket lift, if you reduce the preload.

The packaging of the product is very good and they arrived in good condition. There are tools provided in the box to adjust the preload, these tools are basic, but they do work. The very wide range of adjustment will also allow an additional 2" of lift for those who do not want to use a bracket lift. The user will need to experiment with the preload setting on their particular machine to get the best results. The instructions for adjusting preload are not well covered in the instructions or the install video, so the user is pretty much on their own. For preload adjustment, You Tube is your friend. If you bolt them on as they come out of the box, you are going to automatically get the additional full 2" of lift. Since I was not wanting additional lift from these shocks, the "as Shipped" preload was way too high. I reduced the preload down about 3" inches to benefit from the softer suspension.

These shocks and springs appear hefty and the finish looks good. The shafts are large and hard chromed. Shock bodies larger than stock and are bright zinc plated steel. Springs are nicely powder coated black. Threaded adjustment collars are provided for preload adjustment. According to RC, the damping is accomplished using bending shim washer stacks, which is a premium feature. No adjustment for Compression or Rebound are provided, but none was expected at this price point. Both ends of the shocks feature OEM style bushings. All stock hardware is reused.

In summary, for $700, I consider them a good value, especially for those who cannot justify or maybe cannot afford $2k-$3k, or more for full blown "race" shocks. We ARE NOT aggressive or fast riders, this factor needs to be taken in to consideration by the user. A fast or aggressive rider will probably not benefit from this product. The stock Pioneer Suspension geometry is the ultimate limiting factor, shocks cannot change that fact. If you are like us and simply want a noticeably "better than stock" ride and possibly some additional lift, then these shocks might be for you. These are, at least a good substitute for the OEM shocks. The only thing that I have not determined was the long term durability of the product. They do have a 3 year warranty, so that should be some protection against problems, going forward. Time will tell. Feel free to PM me if you have other questions.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
This item is posted on multiple threads. This is a follow up to a previous post.:

We finally got a break in the weather, home projects and health issues. We were able to take our P1K-5 out to get a long ride and evaluate the RC Shocks in detail. We rode about 70 miles at Mt. Magazine, AR; these are trails that were very familiar to us, so we could concentrate on getting a valid impression. These shocks work amazingly well, we immediately noticed that the machine does not chatter nearly as much over washboard roads. The machine us also less harsh over sharp edged bumps. The improvement is very evident.

The machine seems noticeably smoother over most bumps, however some additional preload may be needed. I believe that my initial preload "guestimate" was slightly low. However, that will be an easy fix. In addition, after 60 miles of initial break in, the ride height settled a bit, since all shocks will "settle" somewhat during break in. This allowed more sag than desired which in turn uses up more suspension travel. I will add some preload and re-test.

While these are not FOX, WE, ELKA or 814 Shocks, we were not anticipating that they would be. That being said, We still feel that the RC product is a good improvement over the stock shocks. One thing that needs to be considered is that these shocks do not have the "Self -Leveling" feature, this may be a deal breaker for some users. The adjustable preload and lift capability is worth the price alone. You can get 2" or so of lift without the disadvantage of a bracket lift changing the shock angles. These should ride better than stock shocks on a top mount bracket lift, if you reduce the preload.

The packaging of the product is very good and they arrived in good condition. There are tools provided in the box to adjust the preload, these tools are basic, but they do work. The very wide range of adjustment will also allow an additional 2" of lift for those who do not want to use a bracket lift. The user will need to experiment with the preload setting on their particular machine to get the best results. The instructions for adjusting preload are not well covered in the instructions or the install video, so the user is pretty much on their own. For preload adjustment, You Tube is your friend. If you bolt them on as they come out of the box, you are going to automatically get the additional full 2" of lift. Since I was not wanting additional lift from these shocks, the "as Shipped" preload was way too high. I reduced the preload down about 3" inches to benefit from the softer suspension.

These shocks and springs appear hefty and the finish looks good. The shafts are large and hard chromed. Shock bodies larger than stock and are bright zinc plated steel. Springs are nicely powder coated black. Threaded adjustment collars are provided for preload adjustment. According to RC, the damping is accomplished using bending shim washer stacks, which is a premium feature. No adjustment for Compression or Rebound are provided, but none was expected at this price point. Both ends of the shocks feature OEM style bushings. All stock hardware is reused.

In summary, for $700, I consider them a good value, especially for those who cannot justify or maybe cannot afford $2k-$3k, or more for full blown "race" shocks. We ARE NOT aggressive or fast riders, this factor needs to be taken in to consideration by the user. A fast or aggressive rider will probably not benefit from this product. The stock Pioneer Suspension geometry is the ultimate limiting factor, shocks cannot change that fact. If you are like us and simply want a noticeably "better than stock" ride and possibly some additional lift, then these shocks might be for you. These are, at least a good substitute for the OEM shocks. The only thing that I have not determined was the long term durability of the product. They do have a 3 year warranty, so that should be some protection against problems, going forward. Time will tell. Feel free to PM me if you have other questions.
I agree no since purchasing a set of shocks that can't improve your machine and your driving habits past your riding level.

mlynch001

mlynch001

Oct 7, 2020
Dardanelle, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree no since purchasing a set of shocks that can't improve your machine and your driving habits past your riding level.
A good functional machine is all about balancing expectations, usage, and driver abilities with the real world capabilities of your machine. People who buy a PIONEER should not reasonably expect their machine to ride and drive like a sport class machine. Just as a sport class machine really cannot expect their machine to excel in the areas where the PIONEER does. You can make it better, but it will never be a TALON, X3, RZR XP Pro or KRX.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
A good functional machine is all about balancing expectations, usage, and driver abilities with the real world capabilities of your machine. People who buy a PIONEER should not reasonably expect their machine to ride and drive like a sport class machine. Just as a sport class machine really cannot expect their machine to excel in the areas where the PIONEER does. You can make it better, but it will never be a TALON, X3, RZR XP Pro or KRX.
Exactly my point!

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Link to dump bed lift strut on steroids
Thinking about improving my dump bed, lift umpf..

The OEM gas strut is 899 Newtons or 202.10 pounds force to lift/hold up the bed. 2018 Pioneer 1000 5 LE.
This one I'm thinking about trying is 1250 newton's or 281.011 pounds of force.
1250 Newtons force / 4.448 = 281.011 pound force.
78.911 pound force gain or 39.04% increase.
593 mm length is 23.34 inches center of eye to eye fully extended.
More to come.

Last edited:
Ericseabaugh

Ericseabaugh

Lifetime Member
Jun 17, 2022
South Central Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally got about 10 days off the road from truckin that didn't involve working on the semi as the reason for being home. Was pretty occupied with family and Christmas but did get the chance to work on one thing I have been wanting to do on the Honda. Had a big piece of 3/8" UHMW-PE that I run as a line in my frameless aluminum end dump semi trailer. I put a new liner in last winter and I kept back the front 15 to 20 feet that wasn't wore down and decided to build a skid plate with a little bit of it and finally got around to starting on it. I got the back piece done before I had to get back on the road today. I widened out the back tail to cover the whole width of the frame to behind the rear diff. Gonna get the front piece done when I get home this weekend. Plan to extend it forward and cover the metal pan to in front of the front diff somewhere. Ordered some extra recessed washers and bolts from @Rockymountainatvmc.com. I think that it is gonna turn out pretty well. Haven't decided as to whether I'm gonna put any holes in it or not. Thinking about just keeping it solid. It's not hard to drop for regular maintenance and then you have a wide open view to inspect things while doing regular service work. Any input as to keeping it solid or putting extra holes besides the mounting holes seen in the picture would be welcomed.
20230103 084827

Tres Ranch

Tres Ranch

Jul 14, 2022
New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Finally got a couple days of plowing in with my 72” Denali Pro plow setup... in all I’m impressed with the functionality of the Pioneer 1000 with this plow. I cleared over 2 miles of roads and a few neighbors driveways near our ranch. County maintenance ends about 3/4 of a mile before our ranch entrances and at 8800’+ msl they must be kept open by plow or snow blower for year round access. We have a Kubota cab tractor with front mounter snow blower for heavy storms (albeit considerably slower, if warmer), but I was interested in what the Honda could handle in lighter snow events. It did well, allowing 15-20 mph plowing speeds for general road clearing, throwing snow well off the roadway at those speeds. We get a lot of wind drifting here, and that kind of snow is very dense, like fine sand before it firms up, and the Pioneer handled it fine up to 8”-10” depth, deeper drifts began to drag my speed down, but it was very manageable. I’m optimistic about heavier snow events at this point. - Chris

54112A8A C51F 4DF7 803B 4A5AB13197E3 C18AC1E0 B208 4AC7 B9C6 1E3FE1D48BD1 2BECA7FE 5542 4A44 AB1E 4D8048DC66AE D4B4DD0C F3DA 4F49 BE1C 2D91F2B07591 851C77A8 316A 407B A3CB FD6A270B77A3 96AE5684 DADE 404E BA40 2742180A81D9

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!