P1000m5 What did you add to/do with your Pioneer 1000 5 today?

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rock Sliders

If you are going to weld a gusset - wear bar on, keep your heat lower, wire feed speed up and most of your bead, heat and motion on the wear bar when you weld, as the tube frame is unbelievably, super thin.
Disconnect your battery ground before welding.
Good luck.

20211205 155512

Last edited:
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Plowed snow today. This thing is a beast. Need to trim my skid plate a little bit to stop the front tire rub. Also adjusted the plow springs a bit stiffer and rotated the bottom of the plow forward to hopefully reduce how often it trips. The linear actuator lift works awesome.

PXL 20211211 154954116

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Slowly getting the little electrical things added and changed some. Lower right corner is the dual voltmeter. It uses key-on switched ground to power up with ignition switch. I found this mostly good, but I'd end up turning on the ignition to check battery voltages when I wasn't gonna be using the machine, and that of course skews the reading for the main battery as it's loaded - I want no load voltage. The little black momentary push button switch, shown below the meter, applies a ground to the key-switch ground terminal of the meter, turning it on as long as the button is held down. Still works with key-on, of course.
20211217 211227

The plastic panel, replacing the "Your All Gonna Die" warning placard, is ABS plastic from Amazon Plastic panel the texture is a near match for OEM. Sorry I didn't make this cut out to begin with as it really simplifies some of the wire routing having an this additional access point.

The small round rocker switch, directly below the radio, is a key-switch override for the radio, allowing the radio to function key-off when desired, yet still turn on and off with ignition when this switch is off (a diode isolator is used to keep this power from back-feeding other key-on circuits. The same type switch, shown on the lower panel, provides power to the wireless winch receiver only when it's needed. Keeping power off to the winch receiver, until needed, helps prevent inadvertent operation, and possible damage, due to RFI (radio frequency interference).

20211217 210936

advertisement
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rivet nut tools not expensive, $40 on Amazon, worth considering I think. Also consider there can be problems with corrosion between stainless fasteners and carbon steel - the carbon steel is what corrodes due to galvanic corrosion (that would be the frame).

"Can you use stainless steel screws in steel?
If you put an austenitic stainless like 304 into contact with steel and surround it with an electrolyte like salty snow melt, the steel will have an increased risk of corrosion. In other words the bolt will be fine, but a steel nut or plate will corrode, at a faster rate than if it was a steel bolt."

I'll add, it doesn't take exposure to salty water, though that will greatly accelerate things. Most water will conduct electricity (distilled water is an insulator) impurities in the water allow the water to act as an electrolyte - and that promotes corrosion between dissimilar metals. I think you may be better served skipping the idea of stainless fasteners.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The bolts are coated (hot dipped), 410 stainless and I use nickel antisieze on the threads when installing.
Corrosion potential will be minimal.

410 Stainless properties

Nickel Antisieze
Clearly, you have a handle on it! Stainless fasteners are often used into carbon steel (for non-structural fastening) on aircraft. Anti-seize is de rigueur in those applications.

That said, I still think rivet nuts provide worthwhile advantages in this type of application, as opposed to threading directly into relatively thin wall tubing. The rivet nut offers greater thread depth and mechanical strength, and usually easy replacement if damaged.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!