P1000m5 What did you add to/do with your Pioneer 1000 5 today?

Bandman

Bandman

Jul 17, 2021
Hayden Lake, ID
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So for the money , the tyt 8600 a good choice?
Yes, I think it is a good radio for the money that offers a decent interface and power (20-25 watts) and is water resistant. It’s also easily ‘hackable’ to cover GMRS although transmit power can be a concern in those frequencies. I also believe it’s the radio they mod for the Rugged Radio system. It’s no Yaesu or Kenwood but that’s not want I would want in that environment.

Last edited:
Bandman

Bandman

Jul 17, 2021
Hayden Lake, ID
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How do you hack the radio?

Hacking is probably inaccurate…it’s more re-setting it. When you receive it, it will have very limited frequency range but if you reset it you will be able to utilize 70cm, 2m and a portion of the GMRS range.

Also know you can’t program it via Chirp, you will have to use their proprietary software that only recognizes their proprietary programming cable. The software is readily available on their website.

Here are some links:

The Infamous TYT TH-8600, and the TYT TH-UV88 - tips and tricks. - Red River Valley Amateur Radio Club

TYT TH-8600 Programming | Yamaha YXZ Forums

https://youtu.be/

Reactions: Blownzuki and Scoop
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There's other software available outside the TYT garbage.
I almost gave up until I found and bought it, reasonably.
Ham radio & Programming company in Georgia. Nice people, too.
I did a write up in this thread earlier - a couple years ago when I bought mine.
RT Systems Programming Software

Last edited:
Bandman

Bandman

Jul 17, 2021
Hayden Lake, ID
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There's other software available outside the TYT garbage.
I almost gave up until I found and bought it, reasonably.
Ham radio & Programming company in S Carolina.
I did a write up in this thread earlier - a couple years ago when I bought mine.
I saw that too…I’m just too cheap to pay for it. You just have to be patient, and don’t expect the manual to be very useful…it is from China afterall.

Reactions: Blownzuki
HeadedOut

HeadedOut

Nov 19, 2022
Spokane Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
New shoes and hat for Bender. Von right where he wants to be in any vehicle lol
0DAF96B6 4EF2 46C3 A59B 5BB3A49A913F

advertisement
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
So for the money , the tyt 8600 a good choice?

The vast majority of the cheap Chicom amateur radios can be 'unlocked' and programmed for bands and frequencies outside of what they are *legally* intended for. In the outdoor/4x4/SXS/etc. world, that pretty much means the 22 GMRS channels and, for some 8 GMRS repeater channels. Folks do this with $20 handhelds (e.g., Baofeng UV-5R) and ~$130 and up mobile radios.

From a purely legal standpoint, you're not supposed to unlock/hack the Part 90 accepted radios (amateur aka ham radios) and use them to transmit outside of their intended ham bands (e.g., GMRS/FRS), and you're not supposed to unlock/hack the Part 93 Subpart E compliant radios (GRMS) and transmit outside of the GMRS frequencies. But people do it all the time.

Note I said the license was required to TRANSMIT. You do NOT have to be licensed if all you do is listen. You only need the license(s) to push the PTT button.

The only radios you can use to transmit without an FCC license are FRS radios (bubble pack radios with non-detachable antennas that transmit at very low power ranges (0.5W to 2W depending upon the channel). GMRS and FRS share some frequencies, but GMRS is allowed higher power on some of those channels (5W).

Outside of all that, you can't legally transmit on a ham radio/frequency without an amateur radio license from the FCC (three different levels, three different exams), and you can't legally transmit on a GMRS radio/frequency without a license from the FCC (no test, just pay for it like a fishing license). But, again, people do it all the time. Note that being licensed doesn't mean you can unlock/hack these radios and transmit legally. If you're transmitting on a non-compliant radio, it doesn't matter if you're licensed for that or not.

If you're into learning new things and like to tinker, getting an amateur radio and programming it is fun. And as long as you're not being a DB, the FCC isn't going to come knocking your door down because you unlocked a ham radio for use on GMRS.

If all you want to do is talk to your fellow SXS owners while together, getting a Part 95E radio keeps you legal and, while they will cost a tad more than the ChiCom ham radios, they are not crazy stupid priced.

I picked up the Anytone AT-778UV for my P1K5 because it was inexpensive, CHIRP compatible (makes programming it super easy), and because I have my amateur radio license AND my GMRS license.

The cool thing about the amateur radios is: Even if you're NOT licensed, if you ever find yourself in a serious life threatening situation, you CAN legally transmit on ham -- and ham is designed for far greater distances than GMRS. So think of it as a safety device! :)

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Does anyone need roof bracket pieces? Free, no shipping charges. Happy to help someone needing a replacement. The bottoms are still useable if you press the pin out.

Do those top two still work? I might be able to use those for hanging this new radio!

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Yes. The top 2 are fully intact. The others are the lower portions. I believe they are OEM but I’m not sure. There wasn’t a top when I got it from COPART.
I'll PM you my address if you're willing to send them. Thanks.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I saw that too…I’m just too cheap to pay for it. You just have to be patient, and don’t expect the manual to be very useful…it is from China afterall.
RT Systems Programming Software
Yes, but the software and instruction was stupid easy to use. It was like learning Chinese with a fire hose. I program mine for different repeaters and entities like search and rescue and Sheriff in different states.

Last edited:
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!