P1000 What insulation/type of wire

W

Weasel_master

Dec 14, 2018
Mn
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm good with ampacity and conductor sizing, but wondering what everyone is using for wire type? I'm in Northern MN so want to make sure the conductor insulation doesn't get brittle in cold Temps and is suitable for wet locations. I helped a neighbor the other day wire and he just used standard THHN. It's a little stiffer during to the jacket and wasn't a high strand count.

Maybe I'm being to anal about it, but what are you using, and just getting it from an auto parts store?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I used heavy lamp cord cuz just that. Also is pretty heavy wire and flexible. Been on 5 yrs through some chitty conditions and no issues.

Seadonist

Seadonist

Feb 8, 2021
New Orleans
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anytime I run electrical on my machine, I always use marine grade components. Ancor tin- copper wire.

It’s more expensive than automotive grade but it holds up to the elements much better

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anytime I run electrical on my machine, I always use marine grade components. Ancor tin- copper wire.

It’s more expensive than automotive grade but it holds up to the elements much better

What he said^^^^^

In addition I use Ancor crimps and make sure every connection get shrink tubing. Marine grade all the way

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What he said^^^^^

In addition I use Ancor crimps and make sure every connection get shrink tubing. Marine grade all the way

Totally agree, I use the same. I buy rolls of 500ft at a time. It's what I use of everything.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lady01
W

Weasel_master

Dec 14, 2018
Mn
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the advice. I'll have to jump online and order some up.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!