P1000 Direct wire No No

R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Rigged all of my accessories straight into a fuse block everything was working awesome until..... my afternoon hunt in the everglades. I left the blower fan on for about 5 hours. So now it's panic mode. Walking out of the everglades at night underwater for 15 miles is no joke. Turns out the fan actually blew the 5amp fuse I installed. That saved my battery and my fat a$$.

Thank god I was able to get out. So..... I ordered a relay and connected it to the keyed power with the proper battery connections. I may eventually install a dual battery with an isolator.

Lessons learned.
Don't be a dumb a$$ like me. Plan your installation correctly and take the time to do it right the first time. Never wire any accessories without a relay.

Finished up the wiring today everything is working great.

IMG 20221023 213518103

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Another good rule of thumb is to run all accessories on a second battery isolated from the starting battery. That way if you ever leave accessories on you can still start it. I also like to believe that if for any reason the main battery did die potentially due to age you could use the secondary battery to get the rig started after a few wire transfers.

R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks guys !

Wife is harassing me about the Buggy. Her words exactly "Why are you spending so much time & money on that stupid thing"

I have to lay low for a couple of weeks and sneak in the second battery while she's out shopping.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks guys !

Wife is harassing me about the Buggy. Her words exactly "Why are you spending so much time & money on that stupid thing"

I have to lay low for a couple of weeks and sneak in the second battery while she's out shopping.
Just tell her it was on sale so really you’re saving her money. Seems to be pretty common XX “logic”. 🤣😂

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Thats why u go to the bank and open a separate acct
(Wife dont know obout) for your sxs stuff. Out of site out of mind! 🥳

Wife's dont understand why we do what we do. Just that what we do doesn't fit there honey do’s!🤔

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I’m intrigued of why the fan satisfied(blew), the 5A fuse? Fuse undersized, etc…..

Thankfully it did to get ya outta the swamp.

I stole my kids halo jump box - plan B…..

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks guys !

Thats why u go to the bank and open a separate acct
(Wife dont know obout) for your sxs stuff. Out of site out of mind! 🥳

Wife's dont understand why we do what we do. Just that what we do doesn't fit there honey do’s!🤔
Why every husband should have 'coffee can money'. 😎

Follow me for more relationship advice. :p

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
An isolator and AUX battery (with all non-OEM stuff wired to the AUX battery) is what you seek to *best* avoid a bad situation like this ending up even worse.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m intrigued of why the fan satisfied(blew), the 5A fuse? Fuse undersized, etc…..

Thankfully it did to get ya outta the swamp.

I stole my kids halo jump box - plan B…..

Some might figure that a 5 amp fuse should blow right away as soon as the current exceeds the fuse rating . . . but that's not how fuses work. The fuse element has a small amount of resistance and this causes it to heat as current flows through it. It also has a predetermined melting temperature based on it's element cross sectional area and it's resistance. So *when* it blows will vary with both the amount of overcurrent and how long that excess current is applied. This copied from the web, is an example, and shows how a particular under fused circuit can work for quite a period of time before its fuse opens :

"At what current does a fuse blow?

BS 1362 also specifies the fusing current as 1.9 times the rated current (If = 1.9 In). If the current exceeds the fusing current, the fuse must blow within 30 minutes. So a 13A fuse must blow within 30 minutes when carrying a current that exceeds 24.7A."

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's pretty cool @bumperm - we're all used to popping a fuse when we short something, which gives you an immediate pop because heat buildup is instant. I hadn't thought about the slow burn.

R

rudyeng

Oct 27, 2018
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I sized each fuse based on the actual amp draw and wire size. The blower fan was working for 7.5 hrs. It was submerged a couple of times but mostly dry. It does get mud/sand on it but I clean it out after very ride. Used Soldering iron & double heat shrink tubbing on all connections.

This is how I wired the accessories:
Blower: 12ga -8' actual amps measured 3.6 used 5 amp fuse. Upgraded to 7.5 amp fuse
Light bar 12 ga - 6' actual amps measured 9.4 used 15 amp
Side lights 16 ga-12' actual amps 1.8 used 5 amp fuse
Rear lights 16 ga-14' actual amp 1.4 used 5 amp fuse

I used 10ga-20amp before the fuse block. That was about a 12" run. The 20amp fuse is working fine

Reactions: Rick53 and CID
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In the U.S. Navy (where they taught me electronics and a lot more about life) the rule of thumb was the fuse needs to be at least 1.5 times the sum of the circuits device currents - but no more than the wire size rating. Keep in mind that fusing is really there to protect the wiring against shorts from chafing, impact, etc. that would otherwise result in an ignition source.

Reactions: Robobrainiac

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!