What the ...Hey

waynester

waynester

Feb 19, 2022
Ga, USA
Ownership

1. 520
Please explain why superatv instructions have bolts installed protruding 3/4+ in. below skid plate? While in for services had superatv full skid plate installed , as per instructions this is what I have, 6 hard steel spikes to grab ,shear off or rip off skid plate, 3 on each side directly behind front wheels. How will this slide across logs and rocks, least of all dirt ? Seems insane at the least, criminal at worst.

Inbox 4 521 waynester58 gmail com Gmail 20220507 103005 resized 20220507 103023 resized 20220507 103126 resized

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@SuperATV
there tagged him for you to get an answer. Wont be till Monday tho.

I will ask you, why dont you just flip them the other way? Or is it too much of a whore to do?

waynester

waynester

Feb 19, 2022
Ga, USA
Ownership

1. 520
@SuperATV
there tagged him for you to get an answer. Wont be till Monday tho.

I will ask you, why dont you just flip them the other way? Or is it too much of a whore to do?
That's what I intend to try. My BP is up due to: I already paid to have it done (no dealer blame for following OEM instructions) > I'm somewhat Physically limited, special tools for safely lifting and outside gravel covered work area AND that was a early piece installed , so first thought it will need to be last removed, .....I'm disappointed and blowing steam for now

TOGR

TOGR

Apr 5, 2022
NW Montana
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
Sure doesn't look right.

Hopefully they are at least metric fasteners. Can not believe how many aftermarket items use SAE fasteners. It is one of my biggest gripes (oh yeah, and these are not "bikes"...).

JMynes

JMynes

Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2021
Augusta, Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sure doesn't look right.

Hopefully they are at least metric fasteners. Can not believe how many aftermarket items use SAE fasteners. It is one of my biggest gripes (oh yeah, and these are not "bikes"...).
For many years all we had was SAE fasteners, and they worked fine.
Those were the good old days, when I only needed one set of wrenches.

onecreeper

onecreeper

May 21, 2021
Kansas City, MO
Ownership

1. 700-4
I think that was his point. You buy something, get it installed then have to do more work. The original question was WHY would it be designed that way? Then again, you can never underestimate the shops inability to think and make a suggestion either vs. just doing it and moving it out.

TOGR

TOGR

Apr 5, 2022
NW Montana
Ownership

1. Talon R LV
For many years all we had was SAE fasteners, and they worked fine.
Those were the good old days, when I only needed one set of wrenches.

Ah the good ol' days--just SAE (and Whitworth).

Yeah, then came the Japanese and the Euros, now even my Ford is pretty much metric.

If making a product for a specific vehicle that is SAE--use SAE, if metric--use metric. Duh! Otherwise we not only have to have 2 sets of tools, we now also have to CARRY two sets.

That would solve it--now just not sure what to do with my Whitworth tools :( (not requesting SA ideas!)

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yeah, they definitely installed them the wrong way. Sorry buddy. I'll check on those instructions...but yeah, definitely installed the wrong direction.
☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️
Jim Dandy to the rescue!
GO Jim Dandy GO Jim Dandy
👯‍♀️👯‍♀️

SILVER_ALERT

SILVER_ALERT

HONDA SXS Club Flounder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 6, 2016
Route 66 Oklahoma
Ownership

1. 500
☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️☝️
Jim Dandy to the rescue!
GO Jim Dandy GO Jim Dandy
👯‍♀️👯‍♀️

I remember listening to the original on the radio In 1955 (I had to look it up). I had a crystal radio using my bed springs for an antenna. 😁

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Please explain why superatv instructions have bolts installed protruding 3/4+ in. below skid plate? While in for services had superatv full skid plate installed , as per instructions this is what I have, 6 hard steel spikes to grab ,shear off or rip off skid plate, 3 on each side directly behind front wheels. How will this slide across logs and rocks, least of all dirt ? Seems insane at the least, criminal at worst.

View attachment 333110 View attachment 333111 View attachment 333112 View attachment 333113
That will snag you in the first mile of trail, I’d do something different.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I’ll admit sometimes the SuperAtv instructions leave some for the imagination but that’s retarded a “paid professional”
Installed like that. I mean does no one have any damn common sense anymore. Anyways that’s a bit of a safety hazard, if it catches at the wrong place can mess your day up. As a customer you’re right, if you pushed hard enough they should’ve fixed it. Stupid stealerships

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2

View attachment 333110 View attachment 333111 View attachment 333112 View attachment 333113

An engineer (the guy writing the directions) will probably say that's how you fight gravity to reduce failure. In many cases that's the proper way to use gravity to keep the bolt in if the LOCKnut's somehow fall off. Think of it like a hitch pin. But in the real world and this application that's complete BS and I'm guessing the dealer had the young punk installing your add ons. No experienced mechanic would follow those directions and install this way.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
..............Installed like that. I mean does no one have any damn common sense anymore. Anyways that’s a bit of a safety hazard, if it catches at the wrong place can mess your day up. ............

Yep, I could even see them pulling and damaging the frame holes. Gotta swap that mess and then go slap the moron who installed them.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!