P1000 What to look for in a used machine?

brennen

brennen

Mar 23, 2021
michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Might go check out a used 2021. What are some things to watch out for? Questions to ask?

Reactions: Lady01
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Follow the suggestions in the two posts above and also check the VIN at a Honda dealer for service and repair history. Talk with the seller and ask lots of questions. Most people like to talk and will reveal a lot if you get them talking.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Follow the suggestions in the two posts above and also check the VIN at a Honda dealer for service and repair history. Talk with the seller and ask lots of questions. Most people like to talk and will reveal a lot if you get them talking.
Not sure I agree on this, mine has only been to the dealer the day it arrived and for a quick warranty check on missing bolts, all maintenance I do as I know I’ll do a better job 99% of the time. Guess what i’m saying is dealer service records really only matter for warranty repairs.

Personally just look it all over for damage, missing parts etc, check fluids, how it runs etc. Don’t worry about scratches etc or expect show room condition. If it‘s washed off and looks new consider that all leaks would be washed a way. If armor all is every where on it walk away.

Last edited:
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Not sure I agree on this, mine has only been to the dealer the day it arrived and for a quick warranty check on missing bolts, all maintenance I do as I know I’ll do a better job 99% of the time. Guess what i’m saying is dealer service records really only matter for warranty repairs.

Personally just look it all over for damage, missing parts etc, check fluids, how it runs etc. Don’t worry about scratches etc or expect show room condition. If it‘s washed off and looks new consider that all leaks would be washed a way. If armor all is every where on it walk away.
You may do a fine job of maintaining your Honda according to the recommended schedule . . . or you may not. Do you have the knowledge and skill required? Do you use Honda filters and lubricants? Do you follow the schedule? What records do you keel to prove maintenance was done?

If I was considering purchase of your used machine I would ask a lot of questions and inspect your "shop" when I inspected the buggy. I might be favorably impressed or maybe not.

But it's still an excellent indicator of service performed.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mud is not an indicator of abuse. It's an off-road machine. If the previous owners trails have mud on them, the machine gets mud on it.

I mean, you can find a campground queen out there, but I'm not going to run from a machine that was used as intended.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Each to his own.

Personally, I own a "black-top queen" and would not purchase a used off-road machine with mud in other than the fender wells.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You're a statistical outlier. Almost no one buys these to ride only pavement. As you say, "to each their own" but you're not representative of the general SxS community when telling someone to avoid machines that get dirty.

Personally, I think a golf cart or one of those evo cars is probably a better deal for pavement riding, but of course to each his own.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Askem where the turbo is located. When they tell you it doesn't have one shake your head in disappointment and politely let them know that it needs one and will lower the sale price significantly.

You might get lucky and it works :p

In reality, if you purchase a used machine there is always a risk. Make the seller your buddy thru conversation and they will most likely tell you everything. Look for mud that is caked in hard to reach places, that is an indication of whether or not they drove it hard. Always push for a good price. The lower the cost means the easier you can take care of a problem you may find later. I would recommend with any machine the moment you get it change all fluids. That alone is cheap insurance and will prove if they ever had water intrusion. Most importantly is drive it! Make sure it shifts right, make sure it gets warm and the fan kicks on and it doesn't overheat. Make sure all the buttons and switches work. Check for leaks. Anytime I buy something I will literally let it run while I talk with the seller and in the background listen to the machine. Does it miss, does it smell strange, and after it's hot can I restart the machine a couple times without issue. If the machine was warm when you get there then usually it means the machine might be cold natured/hard to start, or the battery was dead and they jump started it before you got there.

There is alot of good information above.

The true reality of your question tho is that you are looking at a 21. I highly doubt it has had much abuse. If it fires up and runs and drives perfect with all switches and buttons working I would not hesitate as much as I would on something older with higher miles. I would bring it home, clean it up, still change all the fluids just in case, and be happy with it.

Last edited:
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I represent myself and manage my money. I have no interest in representing anyone else or other points of view.

I spent 28 years in the service of my country doing my part to ensure I and other Americans have the free speech guaranteed by he US Constitution. I will continue to make the choices I wish to make, hold the views I prefer, and offer the advice I believe is best.

Anyone smart enough to operate an OFR should realize that playing in the mud with a $20,000 machine will cause damage.

I say it again: I would not buy a buggy with mud in strange places.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lighten up Francis. This isn't a free speech issue and no one is telling you not to have an opinion.

If you don't use your off-road vehicle as an off-road vehicle, fine. I'll just point out to a newbie asking for advice that when people advise him to not buy an off-road vehicle because it has a little mud on it, take it with a grain of salt because they don't use theirs as an off-road vehicle.

Lady01

Lady01

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 22, 2019
Midland Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You may do a fine job of maintaining your Honda according to the recommended schedule . . . or you may not. Do you have the knowledge and skill required? Do you use Honda filters and lubricants? Do you follow the schedule? What records do you keel to prove maintenance was done?

If I was considering purchase of your used machine I would ask a lot of questions and inspect your "shop" when I inspected the buggy. I might be favorably impressed or maybe not.

But it's still an excellent indicator of service performed.
Well, it is an indicator at the least! The best bet is to ask question, and do your best to determine how well its been maintained. as with anything used (or new) buyer beware!

Bama-Daniel

Bama-Daniel

Lifetime Member
Feb 25, 2021
Priceville, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Would like to know if maintenance was done on time would be something I would look for. Wouldn’t be concerned about scratches either. Not so concerned with mileage or hours if price is right. These are high quality tough machines. If you ride trails they’re going to get scratched and be a little rough around the edges. Even driving in trails as intended can break things.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!