BOX1

P1000m5 What to look for when picking up new machine

J

Jcdrury2s

Apr 12, 2021
Missouri
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Last March I bought a 2020 Polaris Ranger 1000 from a dealer a few hundred miles away. When I got it home I noticed a few issues with the fit and finish. I corrected what I could and lived with the rest. I just sold my Ranger and put a deposit down on a '21 1000-5 Deluxe. I'll do a more thorough inspection before I accept the machine this time, but is there any common issues off of the assembly line to look for?

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ask your dealer to walk you through the machine.
Oil level checks, coolant how to operate, ect. That will tell you much about how the buggy is prepped and what they know. Mine honestly had more quality control paint dots on it than a spotted horse, even before they knew I was gonna buy it. Not saying the dots assure they did a good job in prep, but it did come with a prep checklist they gave me during the sale.
When I got home I found all the usual adjustments not to my liking, but not a big deal.

ChadD

ChadD

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2018
Brown City
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They delivered mine with a tire plug sticking out! I called manager and they swapped me wheel and tire off a machine on their lot.
20180905 113226
20180905 114741

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Welcome from Miiiiichigan!

Looks like u did an about face after buying a that PooPoo! 😂

Dont need to tell u what to look for! Its already been said! But to look for the hot chicks;)

PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN!
that goes for the hot chicks too!

Spankynip

Spankynip

Lifetime Member
Jan 21, 2021
Pa
Ownership

1. Talon X
Enjoy the ride. When I picked up my Talon I had the dealer show me where to check all the oils. Basic operation of the inside of the machine. When I got it home I did a closer inspection. The roll cage was actually not even tightened down. There was a 1/ 2 inch gap between the bolts and the cage.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
B

boOkerT

Apr 20, 2021
Bellingham, Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ask your dealer to walk you through the machine.
Oil level checks, coolant how to operate, ect. That will tell you much about how the buggy is prepped and what they know. Mine honestly had more quality control paint dots on it than a spotted horse, even before they knew I was gonna buy it. Not saying the dots assure they did a good job in prep, but it did come with a prep checklist they gave me during the sale.
When I got home I found all the usual adjustments not to my liking, but not a big deal.
Curious Dirtstiffs is there a check list on this site like you mentioned not done by the distributor but by the group members on here? I'm still trying to figure everything on the site its been a journey and fun thumbing through different topics. Learned a lot so far.....

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
No, I don't know of any member created list but it's a good idea. I'm not sure if the 3 Chasis grounds were mentioned above but many have come from the dealer loose, which causes havoc with a ton of things. Ask them to double check they are tight.
I'd also put a battery tender junior on the battery first mod and keep your battery fresh whenever possible. The 1000 is prone to shift and clutch performance issues with a poor or bad battery. Cheap insurance.
The paint dots are supposed to signify the stuff was checked.
When I got mine home, like others, I checked all the fasteners to make sure they were tight.
Checking all the fluids I'm sure has been mentioned.
Fill the antifreeze burp tank to about the full mark with Honda antifreeze.
Do not over fill the Sub transmission. I can't stress that enough.

Don't over think it, it's still a Honda. Your just covering the human factor..
Enjoy.

Last edited:
F

Fenahs

May 8, 2021
NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just put down a deposit on a 1000-5 today (arriving in Aug :rolleyes:).
Thanks for all the info, taking copious notes.

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!