PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Two videos come to mind “the talon won’t fly” which has been deleted cause the guy was a DA. He tried to jump a road which is the wrong shape jump. And anything at dunes, off a correctly shaped jump, listen they keep the motor revved or give it throttle to control the machines attitude in the air. The effect of revving the gas is more pronounced on a motorcycle because of the mass of the motorcycle vs the forward rotating drivetrain mass, because of this you have a harder time correcting a mistake in a vehicle that has a much smaller proportion of its mass being the mass of the powered forward rotating drivetrain.

watch the ones that stay in it till they are launched and the ones the that let off vs the ones that stay in it after they leave the ground.

Two things are happening in this video the front wheels are off the ground and people let off the gas causing drag on the rear pulling the front down.

And

If you let off the gas as you have jumped the rotating mass of the wheels tires axels all stops or slows and that energy transfers to the machine causing IT to rotate the direction the wheels tires axels brake rotors was just rotating. Causing it to nose dive.

Still don’t take this 60sec web based physics lesson and try this at home or a road or SilverLake.

edit: 2WD LS powered sand rails are very heavily biased to the rear vs a 4wD SxS.

And if you do try it please have a “Dixie” horn and a camera!!!
Exactly! Too many variables and jumping correctly in any vehicle takes experience.
What I noticed the most is that the same vehicles (or same type vehicles) jumped multiple times with different results. The 4 door RZR goes from nose up to level to nose dive, depending on which jump you watch. It is not the machine but rather the driver, ramp, speed, approach combination.

If you try to give the talon a throttle correction mid-flight, wouldn't it just hit the rev limiter?
Yes, and so will most everything else. Do you think those that are jumping correctly are shifting mid air? It is a mass/power issue here. Notice the motorcycles, they revs/decel/brake and corrects mid air MUCH faster than the heavier vehicles with lower power/weight ratios.

Not sure if the Talon will upshift by itself in mid air (I don't think it does) so depending on the jump, sometimes with the Talon you can shift up 1 gear right as you launch so you have more RPM to work with in the air. My buddy has learned how to jump his and flies straight, level and far (well, most of the time anyway).

The Talon jumps just fine with the right driver just like anything else but that is not what it is made for. If you plan on jumping a lot, DO NOT buy a side SxS (any SxS), buy something smaller with a high power/weight ratio.

Reactions: popeye and TripleB
J

jcarr343

Oct 26, 2019
florida
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I had everything finalized at the dealer today, and was ready to sign for my new 1000R. Than, before I signed the paperwork (from my house), I entered into a conversation with some of our closest friends that started convincing me I need a 4 seater. Called the dealer and asked for the best price on an X4 Live Valve, and they delivered. Now I have one final decision to make.

2 seats vs. 4 seats

The only reason I have for wanting the 2 seat model is performance. I feel like I would be giving up a lot of handling performance with the X4 LV.

Anyone purchase a 2 seater and wish they went with 4 seats?
Anyone disappointed with the performance of a 4 seat machine?

D

denniswestfall

Oct 11, 2018
US
I just picked up a non live valve 4 seater this week. My last machine was a 2007 Yamaha rhino sport which I had since new. I've got a 2 year old and a 7 year old. They loved going for rides in the rhino. I had a 4 seat cage and a factory rhino seat mounted in the bed with a harness. I really didnt want a 4 seater. I was worried about the length, turning radius, performance of a 4 seater. I even toyed with the idea of buying 2 machines instead of a 4 seater.

I absolutely love my new machine. The ride and power compared to the rhino is amazing. I have 32" blackwater evolution tires on it, and it will break the tires loose. It will hit 75 mph on GPS no problem. I got the non live version because honestly I liked the color scheme better. The black wheels and the black frame over the bare alum wheels and the orange frame. The money I saved on the non live model got thrown at accessories. Besides I figured the non live version was still going to ride 100x better than the rhino.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: popeye and TripleB
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I had everything finalized at the dealer today, and was ready to sign for my new 1000R. Than, before I signed the paperwork (from my house), I entered into a conversation with some of our closest friends that started convincing me I need a 4 seater. Called the dealer and asked for the best price on an X4 Live Valve, and they delivered. Now I have one final decision to make.

2 seats vs. 4 seats

The only reason I have for wanting the 2 seat model is performance. I feel like I would be giving up a lot of handling performance with the X4 LV.

Anyone purchase a 2 seater and wish they went with 4 seats?
Anyone disappointed with the performance of a 4 seat machine?
You are going to get answers both ways, YOU have to determine your needs decide how you are going to use it.

That said, I have no children, grandchildren, etc so I dismissed waiting for a 4 seater from the start just like. Even after discussing with the wife, she also said no so I bought my R in June.

Fast forward to November. My dealer brought out a 4 seater for me to test drive, said to take my time. Took me less than10 minutes to determine I wasn't interested at all. Although the 4 only weighs 200 more pounds and was impressed that riding solo I didn't feel much difference in performance, I decided to load up 3 others in it and that was when i was absolutely sure i didn't want one. At that point i was carrying 800 more pounds than my R and the thing was a complete dog.

On top of that, I felt like I was driving a bus but I assume one gets used to that. Turning radius is the same as an R so that didn't feel any different but I didn't think it handled as good and it was a Live Valve.

Don't get me wrong, it is a real nice machine, for a 4 seater. I just have never liked any 4 seater I have driven and see no need for one for me.

If you have a family, go for it. However, you must remember that when they are not with you, you will be full with stragglers. I go duning by myself (wifey doesn't like dunes) and meet up with friends but 90% of the time I am giving someone a ride and people are almost always left behind. Can't imagine if I had a 4 seater.

If you don't have a family, sounds like maybe your friends are looking for an extra seat or 2 :)

Reactions: popeye and JTW
R

rickoshea

not to mention,anyone driving alone in a 4 seater looks like a goober.no offence to those of you who are forced to,but if you had a choice,why??

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
not to mention,anyone driving alone in a 4 seater looks like a goober.no offence to those of you who are forced to,but if you had a choice,why??

ummm I guess I might if i had no friends?

i’ve no clue otherwise.

personally I like bringing others along with.

R

rickoshea

sorry,not what i meant. i meant,if you didn't need 4 seats,why buy a 4 seater

Amonzo

Amonzo

May 7, 2018
Todd county, Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm having this same issue. Just sold my pioneer 1000 5. Was thinking talon4 but I've read I-w4d seams not to work good in mud and seams like it's lacking in power because of it. I'm torn between talon 4 and high lifter 4. Not a fan of business belts but seems to put down more power and lower gearing. Any inputs I'll listen. Thanks.

J

JTW

I'm having this same issue. Just sold my pioneer 1000 5. Was thinking talon4 but I've read I-w4d seams not to work good in mud and seams like it's lacking in power because of it. I'm torn between talon 4 and high lifter 4. Not a fan of business belts but seems to put down more power and lower gearing. Any inputs I'll listen. Thanks.
I think the issues people have with the i4wd are fewer and further between than the issues people have with polaris. As for putting down more power.... ehhh, I think that’s not apples to apples. The DCT (just like your pioneer) will put more power to the ground than a belt machine of the same hp. I think the Honda will last you longer if you’re one to keep a rig... but if you’re one to trade every couple years. It prolly won’t matter between the two.

Reactions: Mudwing and Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think the issues people have with the i4wd are fewer and further between than the issues people have with polaris. As for putting down more power.... ehhh, I think that’s not apples to apples. The DCT (just like your pioneer) will put more power to the ground than a belt machine of the same hp. I think the Honda will last you longer if you’re one to keep a rig... but if you’re one to trade every couple years. It prolly won’t matter between the two.
Agreed, well said. He should also consider as the belt wears the HP to the ground will change.

Reactions: Mudwing and JTW
H

HondaTech

You'll be rebuilding the entire suspension and driveline on any RZR in under 2000 miles if not sooner. Their junk in the most formal sense of the word.

I've had 1 major issue with I-4wd since the LE has been out, the first Talon X we sold had a bad modulator. Even Honda was skeptical to replace it because it's rare. The few small issues have mostly been voltage issue caused by loose cables or improper installationi of accessories.

Last edited:
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
The 906
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I think there's a lot of skepticism of the i4wd because people dont understand how it works so they bad mouth it. I can tell you firsthand, it works...period!

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think there's a lot of skepticism of the i4wd because people dont understand how it works so they bad mouth it. I can tell you firsthand, it works...period!
Who are these people you speak of? Lol
I think you’re 100% correct @906UP.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!