P1000 What windshield to buy?

bmcote

bmcote

Supporting Member
Mar 4, 2021
Colchester, CT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Glass or poly? Full or half? Flip? Hard coated? Vents? Wipers? AHHHHH!!! So many options!

OK, so after the cold sweats have receded, I am still asking myself "what windshield to buy?"

I do...
  • mainly use my P15KD around the yard doing chores and towing at low speed,
  • want something to deflect bugs/wind while going around the corner to friends houses at < 30 mph,
  • want to put a plow on this fall (me and my neighbors 200' driveways, nothing crazy), so having some snow protection might be nice,
  • currently have the Honda OEM roof installed,
  • want to put on a full front light bar this fall (for Halloween of course),
  • enjoy some breeze while driving in the warmer weather.
I don't...
  • do much (or any) trail riding,
  • want to overheat this summer,
  • want to deal with scratches (if possible),
  • want to spend more than $500-$600 (also if possible).

Is this so much to ask for??? LOL.

So if y'all sold accessories for a living, what windshield would you sell to me based on the above criteria???

Last edited:
Reactions: Lady01 and JenElio
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
A two piece windshield that will allow cool air in during summer months is mandatory. Cabs get hot at low speed.

I've owned a two piece SuperAV in a Talon and a two piece Honda from a dealer in my now Pioneer.

I prefer the Honda because the Honda latches are on each outside end and allow infinite adjustability with secure knobs.

The SuperATV w/s has only a center latch and allows slightly open, or full open. Not as secure.

Yes, the SuperATV unit is less expensive.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
SATV FLIP! 🥳
In NW Arkansas we have tight brushy trails, with any kind of flip up, you'll rip it right off the the Summer with it open. I like my Kolpin shortie the best in the summer and run my Alien shade roof. Winter back goes on the flip up windshield and the hard roof.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
In NW Arkansas we have tight brushy trails, with any kind of flip up, you'll rip it right off the the Summer with it open. I like my Kolpin shortie the best in the summer and run my Alien shade roof. Winter back goes on the flip up windshield and the hard roof.
If you run the state land trails here there tight too with alot of pine branches and your going at a clip of 25-35 mph and Ive never had it rip off. But i see your point. It dosnt scare me to leave it on.

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the SATV flip up and I’ve never liked it. It’s great in theory but I’ve never been able to get the rattles out of mine. I’ve spent hours loosening and tightening and tweaking every adjustment on the damn thing. Only way to make it tolerable when fully closed is to remove the drivers side piston completely.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I love my super atv flip up.

I’ve had quite a few different windshields, the super atv flip up is the best of all. This weekend I’ll probably cut the zip ties I have on it so I can vent it. In winter I zip tie it closed and then it doesn’t rattle at all. (Not that it rattles anymore than any other sxs I have owned)

On a typical riding day, I am constantly changing it from closed to vented to open depending on temp, bugs or dust.

I’ve also hit a lot of branches with it closed and open, it’s durable.

Last edited:
advertisement
toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I keep a squeegee inside with a long handle to clear it in snow or mud or rain.

@SuperATV can hook you up with a discount code

Reactions: TripleB and Lady01
bmcote

bmcote

Supporting Member
Mar 4, 2021
Colchester, CT
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks everyone for the reply! It is down to the SuperATV Flip up (Home Page - SuperATV) and the Honda Two-Piece Poly Windscreen (Two-Piece Poly Windscreen (Optical)). The Honda one is more expensive and I asked @SuperATV for a discount code.

I am worried about the rattling of the SuperATV model. I finally got the rattle out of the doors, and I don't want to take a step backwards! Does anyone have the Honda model and have any comments on it? And does anyone have any more comments on the SuperATV rattle issue that @dilligaff82 brought up?

Reactions: SuperATV and Lady01
tromano1706

tromano1706

Jun 21, 2020
Virginia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the OEM glass and like it a lot. There are a couple of downsides to it though as well as upsides.
Downsides:
Heat/no vents (I'm tempted to try and cut some vents in it)
Dust (combat with sealing doors and screens)
When driving quickly in rain the mist sucks back into the cab and hits the inside of the windshield (needed to squeegee which is common on any windshield with the pioneer)
Upsides:
No rattles
Can use windshield wiper (no scratches - just found this out after some very dusty muddy riding)
Easy to remove
Seals well to factory roof for winter/rain
Good viewing window
Simple installation
No scratches

Overall its very nice but be prepared to buy some extras to defeat the dust caused by the drag from the windshield.

Reactions: Lady01
Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks everyone for the reply! It is down to the SuperATV Flip up (Home Page - SuperATV) and the Honda Two-Piece Poly Windscreen (Two-Piece Poly Windscreen (Optical)). The Honda one is more expensive and I asked @SuperATV for a discount code.

I am worried about the rattling of the SuperATV model. I finally got the rattle out of the doors, and I don't want to take a step backwards! Does anyone have the Honda model and have any comments on it? And does anyone have any more comments on the SuperATV rattle issue that @dilligaff82 brought up?
I have had the honda two piece hard coat windshield for 4k miles. It works as designed. It's a pain to open and close alone. A passenger make this much easier. Also the honda windshield wraps around the front of the rops and this has lead to trees and rocks removing chunks of the outer edges and cracked it. This was from obvious and admitted abuse but I watched as several super atv windshields took it without damage. I'll be switching to the super atv just for the simplicity of opening and closing on the fly as there is nothing fast about opening the Honda two piece.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Super ATV on mine and works perfectly - no rattles, but I've heard they complicate installing some, soft upper door kits.
I don't have upper doors yet. (oh great, another pile of money I can ...). So I can't say for certain it's true.
JMO

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!