P1000 What would cause a 1000-5 Deluxe to start shaking at 50+ MPH on pavement?

W

White-1000-5

Feb 21, 2016
Kentucky
My machine is all stock other than a winch and hard roof. It has always been smooth as butter at all speeds up to it top speed. It now has 101 miles on it and 12.5hrs. Yesterday I took it out down the highway like I do a lot and once it got close to 50MPH the machine started shaking and it was like that up to 65mph. Its still smooth as butter up till around 50 but its just suddenly started shaking. The only thing I have done was removed the Hard Roof before I noticed it but I don't think that would caused it. I also check the tires and all have 13lbs in them. I noticed that the front tires are starting to wear on the edge of the top lugs which might cause it to shake some but I wouldn't think over night like it has seemed to. Anyone got any ideas what might be causing this? Im pretty bummed out that something might be wrong with the machine. THANKS

W

White-1000-5

Feb 21, 2016
Kentucky
check the inside of your rims for a build up of mud. off balance tires seems to be the most likely culprit..even my truck runs into this issue occasionally.
Its not mud on the wheels. It rarely leaves pavement and stays clean.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Make sure your lug nuts are torque the same.

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I would look at lug nuts, brake rotors, and grab the drive shafts to look at u joints.

W

Westtnpioneer

Edjumacated
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 21, 2013
West Tennessee
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Should be in the manual and it will give two specs, one for aluminum and the other for steel. On the 700 it was in something like 100-105ftlbs.
I had sti beadlocks on my 700 and even though aluminum, I still torqued them to 100ftlbs after losing one one day.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My machine is all stock other than a winch and hard roof. It has always been smooth as butter at all speeds up to it top speed. It now has 101 miles on it and 12.5hrs. Yesterday I took it out down the highway like I do a lot and once it got close to 50MPH the machine started shaking and it was like that up to 65mph. Its still smooth as butter up till around 50 but its just suddenly started shaking. The only thing I have done was removed the Hard Roof before I noticed it but I don't think that would caused it. I also check the tires and all have 13lbs in them. I noticed that the front tires are starting to wear on the edge of the top lugs which might cause it to shake some but I wouldn't think over night like it has seemed to. Anyone got any ideas what might be causing this? Im pretty bummed out that something might be wrong with the machine. THANKS
If your not going 50mph on a regular basis more than likely the tires have worn some since the last time you went that fast. The more the tires wear you will start noticing shaking at lower and lower speeds.

W

White-1000-5

Feb 21, 2016
Kentucky
If your not going 50mph on a regular basis more than likely the tires have worn some since the last time you went that fast. The more the tires wear you will start noticing shaking at lower and lower speeds.
I actually run it up to 65 quiet often.

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How about reinstalling the roof and take it for a test run. Just wondering if you are experiencing a vacuum wave.

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
Should be in the manual and it will give two specs, one for aluminum and the other for steel. On the 700 it was in something like 100-105ftlbs.
I had sti beadlocks on my 700 and even though aluminum, I still torqued them to 100ftlbs after losing one one day.

good god no... check to make sure those numbers arent like newton/meters or something. 75tops is plenty

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
could be a bent rim or tire needing balacing. also since you ride on the road a lot, you might have heated up a rotor and warped it.... does it surge at all when breaking?

Reactions: JACKAL
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
good god no... check to make sure those numbers arent like newton/meters or something. 75tops is plenty
Looks like you are both correct.
Page 229 of the owners manual : 80 lbf-ft
Service Manual Page 3-21 : 98 lbf-ft

But they both say 108 N-m which is 80 lb-ft. Except the Service Manual says 13.6 kgf-m which is 98 lb-ft.
The owners manual is consistent with 11 kgf-m = 108 N-m =80 lb-ft

I think I'll go with 80 lb-ft since honda's documentation has 4 votes for 80 and 2 votes for 98.

Reactions: JACKAL
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I had always torqued my lug nuts to 90 ft. lbs. and never had an issue.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
The most important thing is the lug nuts are all the same torque the Pioneer 1000 is recommended at 80 foot pounds

Stauvo

Stauvo

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 25, 2015
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I do not think lug nuts are his problem though as he explained it happened literally overnight after he took roof off.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
My recommendation is to take the wife for a ride and after encountering the problem at high speeds shake your head in disgust! Surprise your wife the next day with your dream rims and tires and if needed the best lift kit money can buy.

I would be willing to bet it solves your problem! So...you don't really in fact have a problem! What you have is a legitimate excuse to invest a few thousand dollars into your new toy! You lucky *******. Lol

Reactions: sharp and Stauvo
Test - Grid

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!