HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
I've never had kids complain about the back seats. It's always adults whose knees/legs are closer to the front of the bed and farther forward in the foot wells. Last 4th of July it was probably 95* here and the kids drove mine around for 5-6 hours; a 15 year old driving, toddler in car seat in the middle, 15 year old passenger, and a bunch of kids between 5-10 in the back seats throughout the day. None of them complained about the heat when I asked, but they did say the grab bar on the front of the bed was too hot to hold onto when they got in and out (I ziptied a pool noodle around them and all was well for the rest of the day). I jumped in the back to go help them pull out a stuck four wheeler and was on the passenger side, and it was uncomfortably hot by my feet and legs. I don't think they ever turned off the P1k in the 5-6 hours they rode it.

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've never had kids complain about the back seats. It's always adults whose knees/legs are closer to the front of the bed and farther forward in the foot wells. Last 4th of July it was probably 95* here and the kids drove mine around for 5-6 hours; a 15 year old driving, toddler in car seat in the middle, 15 year old passenger, and a bunch of kids between 5-10 in the back seats throughout the day. None of them complained about the heat when I asked, but they did say the grab bar on the front of the bed was too hot to hold onto when they got in and out (I ziptied a pool noodle around them and all was well for the rest of the day). I jumped in the back to go help them pull out a stuck four wheeler and was on the passenger side, and it was uncomfortably hot by my feet and legs. I don't think they ever turned off the P1k in the 5-6 hours they rode it.

Yep same here, it's too much of an adrenaline rush for them to notice while they're riding it, even adults.
The grownups do complain once they get out, me too LOL. I do need to do something about the back though not that we're talking about it, I've never thought much of it once I had the front insulated, now that we are talking about it the wifey doe's complain about the back since she feels she needs to set there when my older buddies & wives ride with us. Thanks for the tip on the pool noodle.
Everyday here is an education.

What else have others done for the back?

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Yep same here, it's too much of an adrenaline rush for them to notice while they're riding it, even adults.
The grownups do complain once they get out, me too LOL. I do need to do something about the back though not that we're talking about it, I've never thought much of it once I had the front insulated, now that we are talking about it the wifey doe's complain about the back since she feels she needs to set there when my older buddies & wives ride with us. Thanks for the tip on the pool noodle.
Everyday here is an education.

What else have others done for the back?
You can cram a pool noodle between the bed and the front seat to help with the heat passing through there, but that front portion of the bed gets even hotter when you do since there is less area for the heat to escape. It's nice not to get the steam treatment from that gap though when riding with just front seat passengers and you hit some water. I took the noodle pieces off the rear grab bars and switched it to some pipe insulation that is a smaller OD but never attached them yet. The little kids were struggling to get their hands around the bigger pieces when installed. I picked up some insulation to cover the bottoms of the rear floor and the frontside of the bed but never got around to installing yet.

Reactions: JTW and HondaRed16
HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can cram a pool noodle between the bed and the front seat to help with the heat passing through there, but that front portion of the bed gets even hotter when you do since there is less area for the heat to escape. It's nice not to get the steam treatment from that gap though when riding with just front seat passengers and you hit some water. I took the noodle pieces off the rear grab bars and switched it to some pipe insulation that is a smaller OD but never attached them yet. The little kids were struggling to get their hands around the bigger pieces when installed. I picked up some insulation to cover the bottoms of the rear floor and the frontside of the bed but never got around to installing yet.

So educate me please on these bilge fan mods ya'll are doing; are you pulling air into the engine bay or drawing hot air out, if the latter wouldn't it make your legs & feet warm? If you are drawing into the engine where does it exhaust, I did the under seat insulation...what else can be done for the rear compartment?

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
So educate me please on these bilge fan mods ya'll are doing; are you pulling air into the engine bay or drawing hot air out, if the latter wouldn't it make your legs & feet warm? If you are drawing into the engine where does it exhaust, I did the under seat insulation...what else can be done for the rear compartment?
It's blowing over the top of the engine essentially by pulling air from in front of it and pushing over and out of the back. I don't have the fans because the heat has never personally bothered me. I don't think they'd fare well in the mud down here either. I may install some before Takeover though since I'll have a few other adults with me and the backseats will see some use.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Just read through this thread again, since it's looking like there will be a Teryx 4 being added to the family (not me buying it)

So to summarize:
no turf mode on Teryx
no definite answer on which one is hotter from the seat
Teryx is noisier
Teryx has more comfy seating
Teryx is longer, and larger turning radius (but narrower)
Teryx needs a belt every 200 hours (otherwise, fairly durable)

Any other input is appreciated! And if any of the above is not true, let me know.

Also, I guess the teryx has wet brakes in the rear. How do they hold up?

William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just read through this thread again, since it's looking like there will be a Teryx 4 being added to the family (not me buying it)

So to summarize:
no turf mode on Teryx
no definite answer on which one is hotter from the seat
Teryx is noisier
Teryx has more comfy seating
Teryx is longer, and larger turning radius (but narrower)
Teryx needs a belt every 200 hours (otherwise, fairly durable)

Any other input is appreciated! And if any of the above is not true, let me know.

Also, I guess the teryx has wet brakes in the rear. How do they hold up?
Everything looks correct except for the seats. The front seats on the pioneer are more comfortable to me. The teryx seats make me slump forward.

HondaRed16

HondaRed16

Oct 27, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve had both and like both;
  1. In terms of heat about the same, the insulation fix works pretty good on both.
  2. Noise also about the same
  3. Yes in my opinion the Tyrex is more comfortable, factory Fox shocks for less money. High back seats all four (but as mentioned that’s subject to individual taste.
  4. Turning radius not enough difference to notice or care.
  5. Yes Tyrex more narrow
  6. Yes about 200 hours (for me & my group) on the belt and it’s difficult (Almost impossibleto change in the field.
  7. Wet brakes do just fine
  8. If speed & power is a big deal the Tyrex is a 700cc engine, Honda is a 1000, Tyrex goes about 50mph maxed out, Honda 63 (stock tires).
  9. Tyrex quite a bit cheaper (here anyway).
  10. I had and my brother has the Tyrex, I don’t think there is a bad choice (my opinion), with that said...we love our Honda.

Reactions: William and TripleB
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I’ve had both and like both;
  1. In terms of heat about the same, the insulation fix works pretty good on both.
  2. Noise also about the same
  3. Yes in my opinion the Tyrex is more comfortable, factory Fox shocks for less money. High back seats all four (but as mentioned that’s subject to individual taste.
  4. Turning radius not enough difference to notice or care.
  5. Yes Tyrex more narrow
  6. Yes about 200 hours (for me & my group) on the belt and it’s difficult (Almost impossibleto change in the field.
  7. Wet brakes do just fine
  8. If speed & power is a big deal the Tyrex is a 700cc engine, Honda is a 1000, Tyrex goes about 50mph maxed out, Honda 63 (stock tires).
  9. Tyrex quite a bit cheaper (here anyway).
  10. I had and my brother has the Tyrex, I don’t think there is a bad choice (my opinion), with that said...we love our Honda.

Thanks for the info. My impression has always been that the Teryx is a good machine and a good value. And they seem pretty tough. I hope it holds up well. It will not have an easy life so I'm sure the durability will be tested.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!