P500 whats one to do????

J

jpittm2

Feb 9, 2017
S.W Michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
hello all..... I'm new to the site and have a question and short story.... A couple months ago, I traded in my Bad Boy Buggy which by the way was at Total Piece of POOP, for a John Deere 590I. I wanted to get a P500 but the 3 Honda dealers near me in S.W Michigan would not take the buggy in on trade... john deere would, hence why I now own one. So, my question is since I have never drove or even rode in a P500, how would it compare to a JD 590I??? I would like to trade the JD in for a P500. thanks for in advance for any input.

Justin

iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Welcome to the club, sounds like you are taking the long way around to get what you want, don't know a lot about the JD, but I can tell you the 500 has EFI and a top speed of 40 mph compared to the JD which I think is carbureted and has top speed of less than 30.The paddle shift is great it allows you to run at what ever rpm you want for the different terrain you are in, the suspension is nothing to write home about, but with over 2500 miles on mine and doing nothing but changing oil and cleaning the air filter I love it.Don't know if this helped you any or not but figured I would give you my two cents worth.

J

jpittm2

Feb 9, 2017
S.W Michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Welcome to the club, sounds like you are taking the long way around to get what you want, don't know a lot about the JD, but I can tell you the 500 has EFI and a top speed of 40 mph compared to the JD which I think is carbureted and has top speed of less than 30.The paddle shift is great it allows you to run at what ever rpm you want for the different terrain you are in, the suspension is nothing to write home about, but with over 2500 miles on mine and doing nothing but changing oil and cleaning the air filter I love it.Don't know if this helped you any or not but figured I would give you my two cents worth.

thank you for the input, and you are correct I am taking the long way around to get what I want.... but I had to get ride of the P.O.S bad boy buggy, before it cost me another $1800.00 so I took what I could get. Now the J.D I have, has fuel injection and I'm not sure where it'll top out as I have only used it in a hunting situation and just trollin around on the farm.

J

jpittm2

Feb 9, 2017
S.W Michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I'm thinking very hard about trading the J.D in on a P500, now which model year would be better.... 16 or 17

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
hello all..... I'm new to the site and have a question and short story.... A couple months ago, I traded in my Bad Boy Buggy which by the way was at Total Piece of POOP, for a John Deere 590I. I wanted to get a P500 but the 3 Honda dealers near me in S.W Michigan would not take the buggy in on trade... john deere would, hence why I now own one. So, my question is since I have never drove or even rode in a P500, how would it compare to a JD 590I??? I would like to trade the JD in for a P500. thanks for in advance for any input.

Justin
Howdy, if you mean the JD 590i, it has a twin cylinder 32hp 600cc engine capable of speed in excess of 45 mph and its more stable and has more suspension travel than the P5, but, there's plenty about the P5 that's superior to the JD. Namely that the P5 has a Honda engine and the JD590i does not have a John Deere engine.

Reactions: trigger
iowaguy

iowaguy

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2014
Eastern Iowa
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I'm thinking very hard about trading the J.D in on a P500, now which model year would be better.... 16 or 17
The 16 would have the manual shift, the 17 has the auto shift and manual mode that I think would be nice ,other than that they are about the same, the 17 has differant colors and a speed limiter when you don't have your seatbelt on ,also a higher hip bar making it a little harder to get in.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500

Justin
Sell the John Deere to the NFL, JD's are good for hauling around injured players and Gator Aid

Reactions: rocmar
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
" ORIGINAL "

advertisement
J

jpittm2

Feb 9, 2017
S.W Michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

so far the JD has been good to me, but after watching tons of Youtube vids on the P5, I really had my heart set on one....looks like a tuff little machine.

J

JTW

I looked at that JD before buying a 2017 p500... I just wasn't impressed with the JD. There are several things I liked about it but overall it just fell short... I now have a p1000-5 as the p500 wasn't everything I was looking for in a sxs. The JD has a better ride than the p500 but that's about the extent of it. Personally, I liked the p500 better than the JD but I guess it depends on what you're using it for..

Reactions: trigger and iowaguy
J

jpittm2

Feb 9, 2017
S.W Michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I use machine for trail, mud, mud and most importantly hunting from Mid September thru Jan.

J

jpittm2

Feb 9, 2017
S.W Michigan
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
One thing that really worries me about JD is that there is a Open vent hole that is on the rear and top of the Belt housing to help keep it cool, water can very easily get in there while washing machine (Which I found out) and I would not be able to cross the river like I do on the 4 wheelers as the belt would take on water and slip.....

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome to the forum neighbor. Don't know which dealers you are referring to down there, but if or when you do decide to pull the trigger, the best price I got at first was a dealer out of Grand Rapids area. Started with an S? Then Honda East in Maumee OH. beat their price. Ultimately ended up going to Honda dealer in St. Johns that beat all their prices. Call around, you'd be surprised.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Very pleased with my 2017, paddle shifts are great, search other posts for good comparisons. Use mine for low speed tight wooded USFS "restricted 50 inch" trails and farm. Homemade cargo boxes easy to make and adds versatility. Also have 2 Polaris belt drives and the Honda gear transmission is my favorite. So many good choices out there depending on your needs. You definitely have found the right forum to get good info.

IMG 3591

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I would not call going to a P5 an upgrade. The JD looks to be a great machine.
It is, but the engine is questionable.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
so far the JD has been good to me, but after watching tons of Youtube vids on the P5, I really had my heart set on one....looks like a tuff little machine.
The P5 is a fun and tuff little machine, the best on the trail between my Polaris Ranger, P7 and P1K. But John Deere has come a long way in UTV's and it's not the Gator anymore. The Chinese Chery engines they use still need to be affirmed, but have been used with high praise a lot in sand buggies out west.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!