P500 What's with all of the rollovers?

P

PNWGuy

From reading the various discussions on here, it seems like rollovers are fairly common.

I've been riding ATVs and off-roading for 30+ years and have only rolled once, and that was on a Yamaha Kodiak 400 in 2007 in Arizona.

Oh, and a 1972 Pinto when in high school and doing baja racing in it on the mountain...

But seriously, the talk here suggests that rolling over is a given. Why? Are these machines that unstable?

Reactions: BWAF
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Narrow width (50") + short wheelbase + short wheel travel = less stability compared to most larger SxS's in certain situations.
It doesn't seem to be so much a straight up side hill thing as it is dropping a tire in a rut or running it up a bank. Anything that makes it teeter-toter.

Go read on the RZR forums in the 50" areas and you'll see it's a common theme with 50"ers.

Last edited:
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I assume removing the sway bar allows greater articulation and slow speed stability but decreases high speed stability when cornering?
It def improves the ride and articulation. It's usefulness is debated, but you have to figure it's there for a reason. I don't ride fast, so mine is gone.
Many add wheel spacers to widen out the 500. Of course, that takes it over 50", so you may be legal for 50" trails if that's what you ride.

Reactions: Elwood65 and BWAF
P

PNWGuy

Ordering new tires and going with 26" But not sure if the 11/12 rear and 12/12 rear are worth the extra money in increasing stability. Going with 9/12 on front.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I assume removing the sway bar allows greater articulation and slow speed stability but decreases high speed stability when cornering?
Exactly..............

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I've never even come close to rolling my 500 but i also never removed the sway bar.
I’ve never rolled mine, but I’ve had it on it’s side twice, very slow speeds both times, once with the sway bar connected and once with it disconnected. 5.9” of travel in the suspension and 50” of width is the problem.

hoghead76

hoghead76

Feb 7, 2018
oklahoma
Ownership

1. 1000-5
ON the subject of roll over I hope that everyone rides with there side nets up.
Have a friend that thought he did not need them, then it happen he rolled his sxs... his arm went outside and this is the results:::::::
were you see the Gauze is 3 in of bone showing IMG 1518

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I never laid mine over but have had to open door stand and lean out and gas it but thats the type of trails I chose to ride the machine is great.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
That's the thing...I seriously doubt the 500 is less stable than the Kodiak @PNWGuy mentioned, but it feels more spooky since it's much harder to add body English.

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
As someone who recently rolled a P500 over, I admit that it could have been prevented.
I added 26 inch tires without going wider by utilizing wheel spacers and/or offset wheels. I also added Walker Evans shocks which allowed a higher level of "felt" confidence. Before the shock swap, I couldn't have done 17 mph in a rough section. I would have been going slower and would have less chance of tipping. Because I was able to carry a little more speed, I went into a turn a little quicker and hit a stump on the inside and a rut on the outside, I found the tipping point of my little 500.

The P500 is probably pretty stable in it's stock form. (24 inch tires and stock suspension.). But it makes it difficult to go where I wanted to go. So I went up in tire size for additional ground clearance and kept the same width so I could follow my buddies on ATV's. But I couldn't keep up because of the weak suspension so I changed that too. A series of decisions without thinking of possible reprocussions led to my tip over and total loss of my machine.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
7,000 miles on my p500, no rolls.

10,000 miles on my rincon, no rolls.

1,000 miles on a kawi prairie 650, 2 hard rolls. Plus many close calls.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
None of these Pioneers are corner slingers, not what they're made for. Removing the sway bar reduces its cornering capabilities too, you feel more roll. If you're looking to slide it around you'd be better off with the lower stock tires, spreading the stance and leaving the swaybar, and it still won't be any good at it.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!