P1000 What's your Pioneer getting for Christmas?

J

JTW

That's what I use on mine. I've broken a couple bolts in them and the bolts have backed right out (with a little drilling and extractor worst case). Beats breaking a bolt in the threaded frame holes. If they need to be replaced they also drill out real easy.
Well you saved me some time!! I’ve had several of the self tappers pull loose.. I need to do something.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well you saved me some time!! I’ve had several of the self tappers pull loose.. I need to do something.

Nutserts
Astro Pneumatic Tool RN6M M6 6mm Steel Rivet Nuts (100 Piece) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J7X4DKS/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Bolts. These have an 8mm head vs the 10mm of the stock skid plate bolts but they are twice as long and the flange works well with the Honda skid plate washers. The OEM washers are the best counter sunk washers I've found despite being $1 each at the dealer
Pit Posse 25pc Piece Metric Flange Bolt Motorcycle Street Dirt Bike 6mm M6x20mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GXJIUAO/?tag=sxsweb24-20

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Reactions: pct and JTW
elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Nutserts
Astro Pneumatic Tool RN6M M6 6mm Steel Rivet Nuts (100 Piece) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J7X4DKS/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Bolts. These have an 8mm head vs the 10mm of the stock skid plate bolts but they are twice as long and the flange works well with the Honda skid plate washers. The OEM washers are the best counter sunk washers I've found despite being $1 each at the dealer
Pit Posse 25pc Piece Metric Flange Bolt Motorcycle Street Dirt Bike 6mm M6x20mm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00GXJIUAO/?tag=sxsweb24-20

For nutserts / rivetnuts and the tools, it is hard to beat McMaster for quality.

I had an Astro Pneumatic tool that I thought was a good deal but it barely (and I mean barely) made it through setting 10 10mm rivetnuts for rock slider installation on my former 200 series Land Cruiser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ohanacreek and JTW
I

infernored1000

Jan 10, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My baby is getting her initial service for Christmas lol, just hit 100 miles today and she goes in Thursday morning after that I will do all the services on her

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
For nutserts / rivetnuts and the tools, it is hard to beat McMaster for quality.

I had an Astro Pneumatic tool that I thought was a good deal but it barely (and I mean barely) made it through setting 10 10mm rivetnuts for rock slider installation on my former 200 series Land Cruiser.

I've really struggled to find a M6 installer that isn't +$50 so it's a bolt, nut and star washer for me

We use these at work a lot but I can't justify that price for 10-20 nutserts a year
L845-M6 HEX HAND WRENCH THREADED INSERT TOOL FOR M6 INSERTS & RIVET-NUTS. WILL SET ALUMINUM, STEEL & STAINLESS INSERTS. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CUL8GHK/?tag=sxsweb24-20

J

JTW

I've really struggled to find a M6 installer that isn't +$50 so it's a bolt, nut and star washer for me

We use these at work a lot but I can't justify that price for 10-20 nutserts a year
L845-M6 HEX HAND WRENCH THREADED INSERT TOOL FOR M6 INSERTS & RIVET-NUTS. WILL SET ALUMINUM, STEEL & STAINLESS INSERTS. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CUL8GHK/?tag=sxsweb24-20
Check this one out..

The regular rivet type is $25 bucks.

Reactions: pct
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pretty well if you get a stainless and use grade 5 type fasteners. I had them in my 700

IMO the corrosion resistance of stainless isn't worth it if you're going to pull your skid plates a few times per year. The stainless threads gall a lot easier than steel threads and you'll probably have to replace them more often. I agree a graded bolt either metric 8.8 or G5 SAE would be preferred for fasteners

advertisement
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check this one out..

The regular rivet type is $25 bucks.

It's "neat" but the length and bulk is completely impractical. That's like trying to bang the old lady from the couch while she's in the neighbors bed.

With a wrench and ratchet you can install a nutsert with less than 2" of depth. The drill attachment is at least 12".

Reactions: pct and JTW
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
IMO the corrosion resistance of stainless isn't worth it if you're going to pull your skid plates a few times per year. The stainless threads gall a lot easier than steel threads and you'll probably have to replace them more often. I agree a graded bolt either metric 8.8 or G5 SAE would be preferred for fasteners

You should use antiseize on stainless hardware

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Yes BUT Aluminum is worthless down there and steel rusts like it’s in salt water.

It’s not like you’re pulling the skids off on a reg basis.

Reactions: JTW
ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes BUT Aluminum is worthless down there and steel rusts like it’s in salt water.

It’s not like you’re pulling the skids off on a reg basis.

Several times per year. I've used the steel bolts with steel inserts. I also put a dab of blue loctite on the bolts. I've sheared several off but I haven't lost any or broken them on removal.

I wouldn't recommend aluminum nutserts either

You should use antiseize on stainless hardware

I'd never use anti-seize on a bolt threaded up into a hole especially when it subject to change in temperature, vibration and impact. With UHMW it changes shape and clamp load far too often for a non locking joint.

Reactions: Tramguage1
Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Your going to like those - they are bright suckers too
After the wife saw whips on so many rides at Rush Springs, she was all in for getting some... I even overheard her on the phone talking about them with our daughter, how she couldn’t wait and would send some pics to her when I got them installed! :p

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
After the wife saw whips on so many rides at Rush Springs, she was all in for getting some... I even overheard her on the phone talking about them with our daughter, how she couldn’t wait and would send some pics to her when I got them installed! :p
I was sold on the whips on that same ride at RUSH Springs. You could see the whips through the trees and not see the headlights.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Several times per year. I've used the steel bolts with steel inserts. I also put a dab of blue loctite on the bolts. I've sheared several off but I haven't lost any or broken them on removal.

I wouldn't recommend aluminum nutserts either

I'd never use anti-seize on a bolt threaded up into a hole especially when it subject to change in temperature, vibration and impact. With UHMW it changes shape and clamp load far too often for a non locking joint.
Iv'e had good results using 100% silicone on the threads. Won't vibrate out and keeps dissimilar metals from bonding and rusting ect.

Reactions: Plumber32 and JTW
advertisement