P1000 Wheel bearing replacement

1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm doing my Wheel bearings in a few days. Anything I should know about getting the front ball joint shank out of the bearing hub before I start banging on it with a hammer? I removed all the cotter pins and broke the nuts lose. Just not sure on the best way to push the shank out of the hub.

Reactions: BWAF
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ball joint press.

Multi - Field Stripping a Tie Rod

Might be able to borrow one from Auto Zone or similar, I never tryed so not 100% on that.
Highly do not recomend hammering on the knuckle or using a pickle fork (they mess up the boot).
I keep thinking about buying one of those separators to....you know, look professional? And then I remember that none of the professionals I know use one.

1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well. I got it all apart. The only problem I had was releasing the top ball joints. The lower ones tapped right out with the shock in place and the Tie-rod was the same. I took the upper A-arm off with the hub still attached. Flipped it upside down and propped it up on 2 blocks. Then Threaded the nut on to protect the threads and slid a piece of 1/2 round rod through the lower ball joint hole to the upper (still attached) ball joint. with 2 light taps it was out. I'm glad I didn't proceed to whack at it. The C-ring that holds the bearing in is no joke. Heavy duty ring pliers would help. Don't have them but I do have a large pair of needle-nose pliers that have the tips ground down to fit in the C-ring. (I call them my "palm-pinchers"). Tomarrow I will take the 50min drive to the dealer and get 4wheel bearings, 4 rotors/w hubs and studs attached (dealer pull off from the portaled rig they built), rear pads (fronts are new) and an air filter. Thursday ill press out/in the bearings at work and hopefully be riding Friday night. Still have to put what plastic/skid plate I pulled apart due to the trans problem I had to deal with a few weeks ago. In just ready to ride!

IMG 20190715 223747 934

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't think you need a press to change the wheel bearings. They do have big ol snap rings on each side retaining them. I could be wrong though. I'd pull the rings and try a dead blow with a piece of tubing to tap em out before I set up a press.

Reactions: 70Bones and BWAF
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I don't think you need a press to change the wheel bearings. They do have big ol snap rings on each side retaining them. I could be wrong though. I'd pull the rings and try a dead blow with a piece of tubing to tap em out before I set up a press.
Ya I’m not sure press is needed. My friend with 18k finally had to change his. We popped them out with a press but then tapped them back in pretty easily without.

Reactions: TripleB
1Ktrailrider

1Ktrailrider

Dec 1, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Definitely need a press. At least to get them out. If you freeze the bearings over night they will drop in easier. But I have a hydrolic press at work. 15min, four out and four in. No problem. I also had a skid plate burned out on the cnc table today ill post up after work tomorrow. Came out pretty cool.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!