Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Everyone is different in there riding style, where they ride,how much they wash it Etc. So answers are gonna be very obscured.

Are you having issues with yours right now?

J

Jacktracy

Feb 15, 2020
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Everyone is different in there riding style, where they ride,how much they wash it Etc. So answers are gonna be very obscured.

Are you having issues with yours right now?
No problems yet but with 20,000 plus miles thinking about new wheel bearings and rebuild CV joints this winter. We mainly ride hard pack trails wash the p1000 probably about every two weeks. Also do you suggest rebuilding CV joints or replacing them I have never rebuild a CV joint I can't think it would be all that hard.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
No problems yet but with 20,000 plus miles thinking about new wheel bearings and rebuild CV joints this winter. We mainly ride hard pack trails wash the p1000 probably about every two weeks. Also do you suggest rebuilding CV joints or replacing them I have never rebuild a CV joint I can't think it would be all that hard.
I'm under the impression that if the CV joint isn't clicking, it's doing just fine. At least that's what I'm going by. Note that I thought it was my RR making the noise when cold but noticed that the LR inner boot is flinging grease so it'll get attention first on my Talon at 8,000 miles. The longer travel may be a part of the reason.

Russel makes CV replacement look pretty easy except for the cost of the band clamp pincher plier thingy. :oops: Note that Russel has converted his X4 into an R4, I'm not sure if the CV/axle parts are different or not.

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Also do you suggest rebuilding CV joints or replacing them I have never rebuild a CV joint I can't think it would be all that hard.
Wow! Thats some miles.
I wouldnt replace the barrings unless there making noise or giving you issues.
also would recommend rebuilding the CV boot than replacing the axel, only if the axel isnt clicking. if its clicking, replace the axel

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You're doing pretty good to have 20k on the original axles and wheel bearings.

Refresh my memory - any lift or bigger tires on your machine?

If you pull your hub you can spin the bearing and see how it feels. It should be quiet and smooth. I'm about to start replacing mine at 12k miles because I felt one of my rear bearings was a little rough last week.

Reactions: Smittyp and TripleB
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also, with OEM axles you can replace the inner CVs, but to get new outer CVs you have to buy a whole new axle. (Or was it the other way around?)

Either way, by the time you look at buying a new axle, you're better off going to SuperATV Rhino 2.0 axles. They're stronger, have a lot more flex in the CVs, and you can buy replacement CVs for inner of outer as needed.

Reactions: Smittyp and TripleB
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Lift the machine with wheels of the ground to check bearings. Move the wheel and hub to check for any slack. With these heavy machines now it's difficult to detect a bad bearing with wheels on the ground.

If you're a decent shade tree mechanic, I recommend buying a bearing press to remove and install bearings. Makes life so easy! You will NOT regret that purchase. My father-in-law does this and almost (but not quite) makes bearing changes pleasant!!

J

Jacktracy

Feb 15, 2020
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Lift the machine with wheels of the ground to check bearings. Move the wheel and hub to check for any slack. With these heavy machines now it's difficult to detect a bad bearing with wheels on the ground.

If you're a decent shade tree mechanic, I recommend buying a bearing press to remove and install bearings. Makes life so easy! You will NOT regret that purchase. My father-in-law does this and almost (but not quite) makes bearing changes pleasant!!
Thank you for the advice. I own a small machine shop two different presses 150 ton air over hydralic and a 5 ton arbor press works great for bearings. My main concern about bearings and cv joints is next summer comes I don't Want any break downs. Reliability is my number 1 concern the reason I went with honda.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!