P500 When you haul , what gear and 4W vs 2W you put your P500?

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have not read manual yet, but yesterday after trip and placed mine P500 into 4W and L gear , and thought it would lock and not move when the engine is off. I always engage manual brake when haul and put it on 4W in Low gear and I was confident that it locks all 4 wheels and should not move. BUT it does, unless you put in Reverse in 4W then it locks all 4 I assume and I can not move it and then I add manual brake.
But all my previous trips I realized I was locked basically with manual brake.

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just click and then all wheels locked, at least I can not move it, only rock a bit and then add manual brake and all good to roll.

S

Sledge

Just click and then all wheels locked, at least I can not move it, only rock a bit and then add manual brake and all good to roll.
Thanks. I deleted my post because I remembered that the shift into reverse always comes with a little lurch backwards, telling me it's engaged.

As soon as I deleted, there was your answer to my question. Sorry.

Joe

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I should lift front end and try to spin it.

Reactions: Sledge
S

Sledge

I should lift front end and try to spin it.
Do you use 4 straps? I always have, but I carry heavy stuff in the front of my trailer, and want the p5 as far back as possible, to reduce tongue weight.

I'm thinking of just backing up against the closed trailer doors and running two straps back from the front a-arms to hold it back. Bad idea?

Hope this isn't a hijack. I figure threads just go where they go. :)

Joe

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I just use 2 tie downs...pull
forward into bed of truck
hook to rack in back

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Do you use 4 straps? I always have, but I carry heavy stuff in the front of my trailer, and want the p5 as far back as possible, to reduce tongue weight.

I'm thinking of just backing up against the closed trailer doors and running two straps back from the front a-arms to hold it back. Bad idea?

Joe

No this time I did not use any straps, I have 4x8 trailer and L shape (2" height) steel rails on the side and front, ramp on the back, I drove 60 mph, no jumps and but even offroad I dont go fast , so P500 does not jump around. I've used straps only when I drive to western montana over pass, where roads are twisty, then I need some support not to tip it if I go fast. I use 2 straps on side.
All my short commute and in towm I dont use straps at all. The floor of the trailer is covered with rubberized paint , its not slippery.

Thats why full 4W lock in gear is important for me.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I was having some trouble keeping my straps tight so I just bought a set of these at tractor supply, harbor freight also has them. About $30 each.
IMG 2467 1

R

Rustell

I'm going to give this a try ... It clamps down on the trailer hitch.Pioneer hitch Toyhauler

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500

Joe
I pull as far forward as possible, leave it in neutral, set parking brake, strap all four corners.
Too much weight on ass end makes trailer sway. Check straps anytime I stop.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!