HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I have an Inferno. Works great.

For about 3 x the price of the Inferno you can have a Honda heater which is basically the same product. The Honda kit will also provide a volt meter?

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
i have a summit automotive heater that i made fit with 2 large ducts for my pioneer. I love how it turned out. But if i had to do it all over again, Id get the honda heater with the multiple ducts and install the radiator fan override switch from the club store so you can control more heat to the heater core. Id prob do that with whatever heater you get.

This is step by step of installing mine.

ElmerFudd

ElmerFudd

Jul 19, 2015
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had the Honda heater installed when new. Had to have it replaced once. Multiple anti-freeze leaks. Worst part of it is when my Ranger friends ride with me. Doesn't even come close to putting out as much heat as a Polaris. Don't even know why it has a high/low switch.

Reactions: Lady01 and JenElio
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I had the Honda heater installed when new. Had to have it replaced once. Multiple anti-freeze leaks. Worst part of it is when my Ranger friends ride with me. Doesn't even come close to putting out as much heat as a Polaris. Don't even know why it has a high/low switch.
Sounds like insufficient flow of engine coolant through the heater. Is al coolant shut-off valve installed?

There's very little difference between the aftermarket Inferno heater and the oem Honda heater. My Inferno produces plenty of hot air.

Reactions: Lady01
DennyChapman

DennyChapman

Sep 7, 2021
Statesboro Ga.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have an Inferno. Works great.

For about 3 x the price of the Inferno you can have a Honda heater which is basically the same product. The Honda kit will also provide a volt meter?
So does the inferno and the honda mount in the same spot. If so where is that at. I kn ow one product I read about looked liked it mounted under the hood where the 2nd battery goes, but that wouldn’t be good for me because I plan on adding that 2nd battery

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
The Inferno (and the Honda brand) heater is installed in the space under the driver seat. The wiring harness and warm air distribution ducts run under the floor in the space where the driveshaft is located.

Two air ducts in the front side of the seat base pointing in the driver and passenger floor space and two more in the lower part of the dash.

Y

Yakman

Mar 7, 2021
WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I didn't want to use the space under my seat because I have a subwoofer in there ;) I went with the SuperATV cab heater. Additional vents come with it but the 2 in the middle do a good enough job I don't even use the extra vents. Also sealed dash around shifter holes to keep cold air from coming in. Toasty in winter now.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
The issue is that the heater effectively adds 2x the cooling capacity to the engine…meaning you really, really have to work the motor to get strong heat. The side benefit is that the heater can be used in the summer to manage engine temps on long grades in the summer.

Your options to improve the heat output are actually simple.

Block 1/2 to 1/3 of the front radiator with a sheet of cardboard or thin plastic sheet. This can easily be done from the passenger front wheel well in between the shroud and radiator.

place a Tstat in line that forces all coolant to the heater until it gets too hot and goes to the main radiator.

place a 3way valve that forces all. Coolant to the heater.

I block the radiator as it’s cheap, reliable and effective. The other options work but they are sorta expensive and can seize or fail.

blocking the main radiator makes a big difference in the northern climates when your temps are easily in the - F ranges. Definitely improves warm up times.

Getting the engine hot helps to keep condensation out of the oil which can be an issue in the winter.

Last edited:
Reactions: HBarlow and Lady01
advertisement
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
The issue is that the heater effectively adds 2x the cooling capacity to the engine…meaning you really, really have to work the motor to get strong heat. The side benefit is that the heater can be used in the summer to manage engine temps on long grades in the summer.

Block 1/2 to 1/3 of the front radiator with a sheet of cardboard or thin plastic sheet. This can easily be done from the passenger front wheel well in between the shroud and radiator.

place a Tstat in line that forces all coolant to the heater until it gets too hot and goes to the main radiator.

I block the radiator as it’s cheap, reliable and effective. The other options work but they are sorta expensive and can seize or fail.

blocking the main radiator makes a big difference in the northern climates when your temps are easily in the - F ranges. Definitely improves warm up times.

Getting the engine hot helps to keep condensation out of the oil which can be an issue in the winter.
That's an interesting discussion of the Pioneer heater. I had never thought about the small add-on heater as doubling the cooling capacity of the Honda cooling system but you're correct - at least in theory. The heater definitely adds another heat exchanger, long lines, and additional coolant to a already small cooling system.

I learned something new.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
That's an interesting discussion of the Pioneer heater. I had never thought about the small add-on heater as doubling the cooling capacity of the Honda cooling system but you're correct - at least in theory. The heater definitely adds another heat exchanger, long lines, and additional coolant to a already small cooling system.

I learned something new.
Absolutely. The company I work for produces the HVAC system for 80% of all North American market Ford light trucks (F150-F350), passenger cars and SUVs. Adding a heat exchanger most certainly adds to the cooling capacity, but you have to make sure you're not overcooling. Cooler isn't always better -- engines are designed to run optimally within specific temperature ranges.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I don't
Absolutely. The company I work for produces the HVAC system for 80% of all North American market Ford light trucks (F150-F350), passenger cars and SUVs. Adding a heat exchanger most certainly adds to the cooling capacity, but you have to make sure you're not overcooling. Cooler isn't always better -- engines are designed to run optimally within specific temperature ranges.
I agree. Modern internal combustion engines are designed and built to run at higher temps than they were many years ago. Cooling them below expected temps will hamper efficiency and could set codes.

I don't have a thermometer or any actual numbers so I'm relying on the ECM to monitor engine coolant temp. It hasn't seta code or flashed an alarm so I have to assume coolant temp remains within normal parameters.

Y

Yakman

Mar 7, 2021
WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Y

Yakman

Mar 7, 2021
WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Getting the engine hot helps to keep condensation ut of the oil which can be an issue in the winter. rater inlet hose to oil cooler but I put the outlet hose to the water pump where the oil cooler had been connected

I ran the heater inlet hose to oil cooler and I put the outlet hose to the water pump where the oil cooler had been connected on my Super ATV heater. It also comes with a crimper for the radiator inlet hose to help burp the system after heater is installed. I read that some guys will put this crimper on in the winter 2 increase heat to their heater.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
I ran the heater inlet hose to oil cooler and I put the outlet hose to the water pump where the oil cooler had been connected on my Super ATV heater. It also comes with a crimper for the radiator inlet hose to help burp the system after heater is installed. I read that some guys will put this crimper on in the winter 2 increase heat to their heater.
If it’s what I think it is, basically it’s hose pinch tool so you don’t have to drain the system when working on your cooling system.

I don’t think it would be good for the hose to pinched like that for long periods of time.

Y

Yakman

Mar 7, 2021
WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If it’s what I think it is, basically it’s hose pinch tool so you don’t have to drain the system when working on your cooling system.

I don’t think it would be good for the hose to pinched like that for long periods of time.
Yep, it is a pinch tool but it's adjustable. I had to call Super ATV 4 assistance when installing my heater and that's what the tech told me customers were telling him.

R

Ranger620vs

Feb 24, 2019
Cottage Grove MN
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I’ve had the inferno and now switched to the oem Honda heater both have not preformed to what I would consider a heater. They work till it gets cold out like 40 deg when I want it. I do think the extra capacity is more then likely causing the issue. Like above the explanation of a car the uses a thermostat to control the engine heat is probably the issue but we have a thermostat in the system don’t we already? In my last side x side I tried the ice crusher max stat and it didn’t really help which may have been how that heater was installed but it was their design. I even tried changing the temp of the thermostat but the was like pulling teeth to find the correct size. The parts counter people at my local auto parts store can’t seem to use common sense to look up a part (need a car make). This is a frustrating issue to get the heater to produce good heat

the inferno and the Honda are basically the same install also

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!