P1000 Which tire should I get?

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
NC mountain roads when dry no problem. But rains the least little bit like being on ice it's so slick. Dealer can put either one of these on. The mudlite seem much better but having no real life use I don't know. What's best for slick mud, not deep mud but slick mud like ice

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
The mud lights work great in mud but will wear quickly if you ride the roads.
If you plan to ride on gravel roads or pavement much I'd go for the Bighorns.

I've been through several sets of the Mud Lights.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
90% dirt roads and 10% pavement (go check my mail 1/4 milE on asphalt) and some gravel on my driveway.

B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Viking on xtr. Absolute best tire on the market for everything. Extremely smooth on hard pack, holds its own in mud pits, and hooks up on slick mud and rocks.

Honda on xtr? Can't imagine much diffrence.

My buddy had mud saws (ripsaws?) And they did freaking amazing in wet slick mud. Deep mud? Sol. Rocks and hard pack were good too.

My vote is xtr. They wear well and are the best all around tire on the market.

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
They wear well and are the best all around tire on the market.
I'm honestly baffled that it isn't more popular. It's great at everything I've tried. It's not "#1" at anything, but I put it in the top three at everything and that's worth a lot when your terrain varies.

S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
the bighorn 2.0 are radial and have a hard rubber. good all around tire..... a lot of OEMs are using them. if you don't do really any mudding then don't get a mud tire. by mud i mean anything over 8-12" deep, mudding doesnt mean puddle splashing.

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
He has already installed them and I just assumed they were radial. But he told me there were six ply I believe. But the tread looks almost identical with a couple small differences. I just realized he's letting me keep the original OEM tires which I thought he was taken in and given a credit on. Now that I know I have an extra set of tires that I could put on it by do any long term asphalt road driving, what could you recommend for a super cheap steel rim just so I could get these mounted and have as a back up for such occasions.

I guess I could also sell them :)

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The itp at rocky Mountain are good and cheap!

Plumber101010

Plumber101010

Lifetime Member
May 18, 2016
Western NC (Hayesville)
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I honestly have no deep mud whatsoever. My roads are fairly smooth but the biggest problem I have is that all three entranced to GET to the roads go up at an extreme angle, literally a 45°. If it's not perfectly dry you simply will not make it up. Dry I have no problems climbing it. But the least little bit of rain and all my four tires will just spin. So even though I don't have any deep mud once I get on my roads, climbing the inclines I do need a very super aggressive tire, something that will bite into the wet dirt and get me up that angle.

I am hoping the mudlite will do that very same thing. The tires that came with my Maasimo MSU500 are very aggressive and look very similar to the mud lights. What I like about them is they have a extremely tall cleet. Even so, when it's wet, unless I get a really good running start, I can't make it up with those tires. The mud lights seem to have more open area between it's cleets to throw the mud off where as these get clogged with mud.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Oh, that was EACH!!!! Thought set 4. CRAP THAT RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE!!!
I was thinking the cheap steel wheels were under $40 a piece but it was probably 12" wheels

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also black diamond xtrs are a great climbing tire I've experienced. I would think in a situation your talking about something more along the lines of football cleats would dig in better for climbing. Tires with tread patterns like a paddle do not keep enough rubber touching the ground in my experience. Check out the pitbull growler. They are awsome for pretty much everything.

amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like you're dealing with clay-mud when its wet, and I think big horns would gum up fairly quick. Looks at Highlifter Outlaw Radials as well. I think you'll be best off with directional radial tread pattern.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
what you need to do is look at load capacity on tires the Pioneer 1000 is heavy + loaded it can weigh over a ton.

Tot

Tot

Lifetime Member
Dec 14, 2015
Des Arc, Arkansas
Quad boss has a tire that looks like a term mixed with a mudder inlaw. My buddy with the Defender is running them and really likes them, very smooth.

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
Revisiting this thread after taking my Honda off road for the first time and returning with two tires leaking air quickly and one losing air very slowly; the Bighorn 2.0s are a poor choice for riding anywhere near cactus. I also have flats on my Teryx that comes with the Bighorn 2.0. We aren't talking about big cactus either. Replacing my tires will be my next mod.

Reactions: Tot

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!