Whip Reverse light

M

MurphysLaw

Jul 21, 2024
Battle Creek MI
Ownership

1. Talon R
I bought some whip lights and I found out that they have a lead for reverse. When that lead is connected to positive, the whip lights turn white and when it's disconnected, they go back to their colorful selves. I'm having a very hard time finding a location on the Talon to splice into a positive reverse signal. I have found that there are harnesses you can buy that Will give you a negative signal when the machine is put in reverse. I know I can get a positive out of this with a relay, but that all seems overly complicated. Also, I can't justify spending around $60 for a few wires and plastic plug. I've disconnected the sub transmission plug and tried finding with a multimeter where I get a voltage change when I put the machine in reverse but I can't find any change when I put it in reverse. I'm just wondering if anyone has insight on this? I feel like there's got to be an easier way than buying an aftermarket harness and using a relay to switch to positive.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hello.
The subtrans works off a grounded signal.
Using this, along with a relay, you have to convert it to a positive trigger.
Getting to the wires above the subtrans is a job.
A simpler way is to posi-tap the wire at the ECM.
But people dont like that method.
Pin A25, gray wire (based on a 19-22 wire diagram)

Last edited:
Reactions: toddvdh and Scoop
M

MurphysLaw

Jul 21, 2024
Battle Creek MI
Ownership

1. Talon R
I appreciate your response on this. I already have accessed the wires above the subtrans, I have it unplugged and have been messing with it to figure out which wire is the reverse wire. Do you happen to have any tips to figure out which one it is?
I'd be happy to try the wire at the ECM, But why do people not like this method?

M

MurphysLaw

Jul 21, 2024
Battle Creek MI
Ownership

1. Talon R
You said the reverse wire is a gray coming out of the ECM. You're also saying the reverse wire is also a gray wire coming out of the subtrans?

Reactions: Hondasxs
M

MurphysLaw

Jul 21, 2024
Battle Creek MI
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thank you so much for your help on this! Confirming the gray wire is the negative switch for the subtrans was extremely helpful. A t-tap on that with a relay to switch to positive and now it works perfectly.