BOX1

Who is replacing ball joints, and at what mileage?

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
I'd like to hear from folks who ride in the Midwest in the mud and rocky steep hills up and down in TN, KY, WV and know if they have changed the ball joints, and at what mileage. I think we all know riding style, size of tire/wheel, speed, and other stuff factors in on wear and tear. When we ride the trails, we go fast and usually get in 70 to 100 miles. We are not go slow to check out the scenery or booze cruise group. Some days are easier than others. I have 3K on my 2020X. I just put her up on the lift to do my 2X a year maintenance to include greasing wheel bearings, replacing wheel bearings if needed, A-Arm bushings on the L&W, and checked the brake pads. This time only 1 wheel bearing was bad, rear brake pads got replaced, 4 new bushings on the L&W's, and that was it.
Anyway, I bought 4 new ball joints, for the just in case scenario. But the front end feels solid.
So back to my question. Anyone riding like I do in the MW changed ball joints?

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
But the front end feels solid.
Thats all you need to know So your good! Dosnt matter the milage on ball joints, just if they are worn out aka loose when u check them And that can happen at any time rough or even easy riding. Bigger tires and stress on a machine can also factor in This. Bottom line is to properly check them from time to time and it sounds like you know how. No need to do all that work of changing them if there tight.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've replaced the bushings in the L&W's 4 or 5 times. I like how solid the L&W's are. I wish a better bushing was available.
Have a machine shop make them out of Delrin and they will live slightly longer, but that style bushing has no place in a suspension like the Talon has. Honda didn't spend all that money pressing uniballs into the factory control arms for nothing, they did it because it's the correct part for that job.

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Have a machine shop make them out of Delrin and they will live slightly longer, but that style bushing has no place in a suspension like the Talon has. Honda didn't spend all that money pressing uniballs into the factory control arms for nothing, they did it because it's the correct part for that job.
Agreed. Now thin metal tubing for the arms wasn't the right part for the job. But I agree, the uniball seems to be okay.

PhilCod

PhilCod

Dec 10, 2019
Indiana
Ownership

1. Talon X
Thought would post an update. Hitting 3,900 miles now, and all the ball joints and bushings in the front end are still tight. I still replace the bushings in the L&W's here and there, but that is as expected. But some interesting input from the owner of SuperDaves. I have my buddies '17 RZR 900 S at my house as he needed a wheel bearing. When I put it up off the ground, it was painfully obvious he needed all new A-Arm bushings, all new wheel bearings, and also the ball joints in the front. In the past I always used SuperDaves on ATV's or my RZR's. I felt they were the best and I bought those for this RZR. I had a question on the install on the RZR so I called SuperDaves and I believe the owner answered. He answered my question quickly and I mentioned I had a Talon. He told me they ordered A-Arm's for the Talon as soon as they could. But he decided not to make a replacement bushing as he felt that they wouldn't sell any as the Honda one was very durable. So its good to know that someone in who makes aftermarket parts is pretty impressed with the Talon. Its also telling that my Talon has 1,000+ more miles than the RZR and doesn't need bushing or ball joint replacement. That RZR goes on the same trips that I go on, so I know it takes the same abuse!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!