Why use 15" wheels instead of 14" wheels?

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
What are the advantages and disadvantages for each?
My thinking says a smaller wheel with the same height tire gives more road impact absorption. Tires are a shock for the shocks. A huge tire with low air pressure can drive over rail road tracks and not even feel it.
Another thought is what happens when you turn. With a solid tire on a rear locked differential, any turns require one or both tires to slip on the surface. With pneumatic tires, the taller the sidewall, the more area the tire has to flex/twist. This allows the surface tread to remain in contact with the trail surface and not slip. When tires slip, you are loosing control.
My original stock 28" tires are almost shot. I will be looking at 32" tires next. This will improve my riding with the above thoughts.
Disadvantages I expect a slight increase in the center of gravity height. And my gearing will now be 30% higher. I hope there is an easy fix for my speedometer.

What are your thoughts?

Reactions: crewcabrob
A

a94cobra

Dec 28, 2021
TX
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
We tried a particular 32 on the front of my friends machine and they rubbed a little in the turns.

But I too am looking for a bigger than stock tire/wheel combo.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
My thinking says a smaller wheel with the same height tire gives more road impact absorption. Tires are a shock for the shocks. A huge tire with low air pressure can drive over rail road tracks and not even feel it.
Another thought is what happens when you turn. With a solid tire on a rear locked differential, any turns require one or both tires to slip on the surface. With pneumatic tires, the taller the sidewall, the more area the tire has to flex/twist. This allows the surface tread to remain in contact with the trail surface and not slip. When tires slip, you are loosing control.
My original stock 28" tires are almost shot. I will be looking at 32" tires next. This will improve my riding with the above thoughts.
Disadvantages I expect a slight increase in the center of gravity height. And my gearing will now be 30% higher. I hope there is an easy fix for my speedometer.

What are your thoughts?
Honda uses the 15" wheel to ensure proper clearance of the brake rotor and calipers from the wheels. A 14" may fit, but you have an much higher risk of damaging your brake components or the wheel if rocks / derbis gets caught in that area. The wheel size used has nothing to do with ride quality or tire selection from the manufacturer standpoint.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Beaten by JACKAL -

The reason I’ll stay with 15” rims is the gouge on the inside of my rear wheel caused by a rock getting lodged between it and the caliper. 14”ers are have even tighter clearances. It didn’t puncture the rim but it could have, others have shown pictures of the damage.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda uses the 15" wheel to ensure proper clearance of the brake rotor and calipers from the wheels. A 14" may fit, but you have an much higher risk of damaging your brake components or the wheel if rocks / derbis gets caught in that area. The wheel size used has nothing to do with ride quality or tire selection from the manufacturer standpoint.
Like he said!

@my99svt put 14's off his Pioneer on one of his Talons early. They didn't last long. I believe the inside of the rim cracked open due to rocks getting trapped between the rotor/caliper and rim.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
On top of the previously mentioned rotor/caliper clearance, on the R you have the rear upper links to worry about. Look how close your 15" wheel is to the link mount on the knuckle with your factory wheels. The X doesn't have those to worry about. I have 1" spacers on the rear of my machine and wheels with more offset and I have about an inch of room with 15" wheels:

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
With all the things mentioned are true, but I think 15’s look better anyway. Have them on my P1K5 and obviously on my Talon

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R

What are your thoughts?
I run 30x14" paddle/buffs and never had a problem in over 2,500 miles at the dunes. My fronts are 8" wide (0 offset) and and my rears are 10" wide (0 offset) with little more than 1/2 clearance to the link mount but that is in the sand.

With my dirt/rock setup, I have pinch flatted 30x10x15's twice (I run 4-6 psi at times and like to go too fast for that pressure). My next set is going to be 32x10x14 to help with the ride and see if that helps with the pinch flat issue.

Fix your speedo with one of these.

If you do go with 14", it is a good idea to clearance your front A-Arms on the R...

We tried a particular 32 on the front of my friends machine and they rubbed a little in the turns.

But I too am looking for a bigger than stock tire/wheel combo.
The OP has the R model and 32" tires are not a problem like they are on the X.

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes, I have read of things getting jammed in between the 14" wheel and the brakes.

Reactions: Smitty335
Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
I was asking about 14" vs 15" wheels out of curiosity. I thought maybe there was a noticeable difference in performance. Why else would someone do it?

I will pass along the speedo adjustment to a couple friends that recently went to 32's. Thanks for that link.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!