P1000 Will it fit?

McPioneer

McPioneer

Jan 20, 2016
British Columbia, Canada
I am just about ready to pull the trigger on a 1000-3, my trailer will need to be widened in order to carry it. Not a big deal but i recently took the canopy off of my single cab long box 92 F250 7.3 and I was wondering if it would fit in there for the time being. The uninstructed opening with the tailgate down is 65" wide. I know on paper that it will fit but sometimes there is body flaires or other things that stick out that would prevent loading it.

I know the trailer is the best way to go but I might have to wait a few months before i have it modified and some of the places I go I would prefer to not have a trailer. The truck is older and I only use it for hunting but it's just had the transmission rebuilt and with only 200,000km on the diesel it's very reliable.

Do any of you know the actual width of the 1000-3 and have any of you with older trucks loaded one in the back?

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I think @CumminsPusher has put his in the bed of his truck....I can't remember for sure but I think he posted a pic of it on this forum! And a stock one is less than 65" wide...mine has aftermarket wheels and tires on it and is only 64" wide. I believe they are 62" wide stock.

McPioneer

McPioneer

Jan 20, 2016
British Columbia, Canada
I think @CumminsPusher has put his in the bed of his truck....I can't remember for sure but I think he posted a pic of it on this forum! And a stock one is less than 65" wide...mine has aftermarket wheels and tires on it and is only 64" wide. I believe they are 62" wide stock.
I think it's going to be a tight fit but should work although I'm not even sure if the weight will be too much for the truck. The DOT are really strict round here.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I would be interested to know if it fits!!!) Get back to us and good luck!

J

Jack39

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 12, 2015
Wareham, MA (near cape cod)
It will fit on a Diamondback ATV tonneau cover with extensions. That is how I carried my Teryx which is very similar in dimensions

B

Bobman13

Jan 30, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've got my p1k3 in the 8 ft bed of my truck right know it in my 07 2500hd classic tight fit but it's in there.

advertisement
McPioneer

McPioneer

Jan 20, 2016
British Columbia, Canada
I've got my p1k3 in the 8 ft bed of my truck right know it in my 07 2500hd classic tight fit but it's in there.
Thanks for letting me know!! That's really good news. Does the rear wheel sit fully on the tailgate or is it partially in the bed? I was concerned that all the weight would be on the tailgate cables if the wheels are fully on the tailgate. I suppose I could put down a couple of 2x6 studs to spread the load.

B

Bobman13

Jan 30, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Rear wheels sit inside bed not on the tail gate basically the hingline forward

K

Kirkl

Jul 13, 2015
E. WA
Bobman13, can you take a pic of it in your truck? sideways and from the rear?

Thanks

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It fits great. Very hard on tailgates. It's nice and tight we use a kolpin hitch mount so we don't even need to strap it in. Drop the bar over the hitch ball into to mount on your truck receiver and go. These units can pull small trailers as well. Takes less the two minutes before you're driving off no more straps either!

K

Kirkl

Jul 13, 2015
E. WA
Cumminspusher, what year dodge you have? I have an 03 2500 long bed and specs say width at tail gate is 62.2 inches and looks like the SxS are 62 inches. Does it rub going in? are you even close to being able to put tailgate up?

Thanks

McPioneer

McPioneer

Jan 20, 2016
British Columbia, Canada
It fits great. Very hard on tailgates. It's nice and tight we use a kolpin hitch mount so we don't even need to strap it in. Drop the bar over the hitch ball into to mount on your truck receiver and go. These units can pull small trailers as well. Takes less the two minutes before you're driving off no more straps either!
Thanks for letting me know. I was looking at those hitch locks too. The tailgate is a concern for me but I may get those brace bars that I saw on here. Would your unit fit if the tailgate was removed?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thanks for letting me know. I was looking at those hitch locks too. The tailgate is a concern for me but I may get those brace bars that I saw on here. Would your unit fit if the tailgate was removed?
It would but ramps would have to go to bumper as you can't get them out. If you fill as much as you can inside the gate with expanding foam( keeping in mind the handle cables and that it expands I'd use a lower foam like Windows door) especially top and edges it helps drasticly and a steel plate on the gate will do the trick. I had a 92 Dodge Cummins and the crappy Polaris and the Pioneers destroyed 3gates before I fixed it good. But the 92 gate was thin. Just got 98 Cummins it does seem lots better however I'll bump it up too. Aftermarket gate WILL NOT HOLD UP. It is very nice to have a truck it fits in as you load the truck up and roll or take a trailer as well. My wife drives mine most of the time as I take our bus with the bikes in it and the trailer with machines on it as well so she super appreciates no trailer because of how deep and tight we go

McPioneer

McPioneer

Jan 20, 2016
British Columbia, Canada
It would but ramps would have to go to bumper as you can't get them out. If you fill as much as you can inside the gate with expanding foam( keeping in mind the handle cables and that it expands I'd use a lower foam like Windows door) especially top and edges it helps drasticly and a steel plate on the gate will do the trick. I had a 92 Dodge Cummins and the crappy Polaris and the Pioneers destroyed 3gates before I fixed it good. But the 92 gate was thin. Just got 98 Cummins it does seem lots better however I'll bump it up too. Aftermarket gate WILL NOT HOLD UP. It is very nice to have a truck it fits in as you load the truck up and roll or take a trailer as well. My wife drives mine most of the time as I take our bus with the bikes in it and the trailer with machines on it as well so she super appreciates no trailer because of how deep and tight we go
You have me thinking now. I have a steel plate over the tailgate and could reinforce but I think I could just get a couple of pieces of 2x10 and cut a groove in the underside where meets the bed. That way the tires will be resting on the 2x10 and allow the ramp to be pulled out without being pinched. Might not even need to cut a groove, just have the wood run across the width of the bed to raise up the tires higher than the fingers of the ramp. With the hitch lock in place, it would be secure.

Thanks for all the info. I'm just waiting for temps to rise a bit so I can take my road bike to the dealership to inspect for a trade. If they give me what they said they would then I will have a 1000-3 real soon.

advertisement