Winch Contactor Location?

I

idahohntr

Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2013
To All,

My winch arrived yesterday, waiting for the mount to get here next week. My question is where is everyone installing the contactor?

Your input is truly appreciated!

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
I put mine under the hood on the right fender.Its actually facing the rad ,1" above the frame where the fender bolts to.The backside is where the fuse box sits.Just had to drill a couple of holes to mount it.Its out of the way but easily accesable.

I

idahohntr

Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2013
slowdryrider

Thank you!

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
idaho i mounted mine on the steel cross rail behind and below the seat its out of the weather there and the perfect place to reach the battery

I

idahohntr

Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2013
Bought a Warn 4k Vantage, wondering if I have enough lead to reach the area behind the seat. Don't know will have to check it out tomorrow-

Thank you as well!

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
you should i also have a warn

fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
I have a cabelas trail tamer 4200 vantage (exact same winch as Warn 4000 vantage) and it had plenty of cable!

R

randi 58

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 4, 2013
Ownership

1. 1000-3
my cable had plenty. contactor there the tool box was.

R

rellison110

Nov 16, 2013
I installed my winch over the last few days and it is very simple other than spending the time to identify the areas and items that they are referencing in the instructions. The contractor is mounted under the hood on the crossbar.

R

rellison110

Nov 16, 2013
Maybe I misunderstood. If you are asking about the plug in for winch control, I mounted it in the glove box

advertisement
duwops

duwops

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2013
KFI instructions recommend putting contactor under hood. After review of posts I put mine on left fender facing right fender. I mounted the rocker switch to dash under three positing shift lever. With help of some fine members here after some technical difficulties I am complete. It took me about seven hours over three days to complete. I believe it to easier than my time spent indicates but I'm not as physically capable as I once was. I completed it and didn't have to give my dealer the 270 quoted for the install. I'm "Happy Happy Happy" Sling some mud.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 866
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 752
fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
Looks great!

I can relate to your experience. I too thought I could bang out my Winch install in just a couple of hours. After a day of "discovery", frustration, rework, cut hands, sore knees and having to articulate my back, shoulders and arms to strange configurations, my back is still sore! Honda sure didn't make much accommodation for the routing of additional wires (me being a wiring "perfectionist" didn't help either). :roll:

duwops

duwops

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2013
See we have more in common that the pioneer ;)

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Duwops, put mine in the same place, tried in toolkit location but KFI contactor was too large to fit. Tried in battery location too large to fit there either. Know what ya mean about perfectionist, I really wanted to pull the harness I made out and add all the winch wires to it.

F

foggy

Sep 13, 2013
Wiring was kinda a nasty install for me too. I put the contacter under the drivers seat. Worked OK…..but could wish for another 6" of cable to do it better. I needed to save the space under the hood for my heater. Not sure how that is gonna fit……so I chose under the seat. Was a couple of tense hours during my wiring.….and I like it done right too. Grrrrr

duwops

duwops

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2013
Yea guys, I guess we're all gettin a little past our primes HaHa! it's great that we have this place to get help and then share our war stories or as dear wife say " swap lies" yes KFI contactor is to large for cross members under hood and too large for bat area. I wanted the large area for a tool box under hood. So we are done now let's "Sling some mudd"

F

foggy

Sep 13, 2013
duwops70014 said:
Yea guys, I guess we're all gettin a little past our primes HaHa! it's great that we have this place to get help and then share our war stories or as dear wife say " swap lies" yes KFI contactor is to large for cross members under hood and too large for bat area. I wanted the large area for a tool box under hood. So we are done now let's "Sling some mudd"

Mudd? MUDD??? It's 10 below zero here today. I'd love to sling some ice and snow and go for a ride on the lake tho.

BigRiver

BigRiver

Lifetime Member
Feb 26, 2013
I mounted mine next to the battery. Had to relocate the solinoid as it was very tight in there.

Andersonra

Andersonra

Feb 14, 2014
Where is the place place to mount the winch contactor on a 2012 big red. Thanks

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!