winch size and wire rope vs senthetic

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
its been done , here there and everywhere. but not recently.
what vehicle?
what winch?
wire or synthetic?
700-4
badlands 5k
i prefer wire over synthetic
because of where i ride synthetic just rots too quick for me. plus a little tap sometimes will break it.
i use limbs or wet shirts over my cable.save ya head easy that way.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Reactions: rtn001 and TripleB
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Pioneer 1000-5 / Wolverine R-spec

Warn 4500 front and rear / Warn 3500
Synthetic on both

I’ve had problems with both steel and synthetic but have stayed with synthetic ever since I switched, I personally won’t go back. I like easily being able to tie it back together, safer to tow with, and no real worries of it slicing your hand open or the grim reaper coming for you if it snaps.
Now with that said you can’t really skid logs, gotta use the sheath when it’s moving around a tree or against ground. I think both have their place.
I do automatically replace it yearly but I was doing that before anyways because no matter what crap seems to break. New rope is 25$ so not bad.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Pioneer 1000-5 / Wolverine R-spec

Warn 4500 front and rear / Warn 3500
Synthetic on both

I’ve had problems with both steel and synthetic but have stayed with synthetic ever since I switched, I personally won’t go back. I like easily being able to tie it back together, safer to tow with, and no real worries of it slicing your hand open or the grim reaper coming for you if it snaps.
Now with that said you can’t really skid logs, gotta use the sheath when it’s moving around a tree or against ground. I think both have their place.
I do automatically replace it yearly but I was doing that before anyways because no matter what crap seems to break. New rope is 25$ so not bad.
thought that was you that had the rear winch. howd you mount it?. im thinking of putting my old warn on the back of mine.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
It wasn’t tough at all but I wanted tucked up underneath where it wouldn’t impede anything so that’s why I originally pulled trigger on aftermarket exhaust, it was much smaller and far enough away where I was comfortable with the heat. I don’t remember exactly how much room a 700 has but it should be similar
I simply took angle iron across to the suspension mounts so it could bolt up there, notched it for the winch plate and welded. Welded two flat bars to go down across receiver itself. So in actuality it only needs the two bolts to the suspension and a hitch pin. No modification to the machine it’s it’s simple to take off if needed.
It’s strong, I’d trust it way more then factory front mount. Makes receiver stronger too. It’s been on two machines.
753D3B57 811F 4A54 8C7A 2B171B8900E3 6C96B3EF 778C 4990 BF3F 0066EA452647 6C4066F3 899E 49C8 8EE7 52E5D186F8FA

Last edited:
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
It wasn’t tough at all but I wanted tucked up underneath where it wouldn’t impede anything so that’s why I originally pulled trigger on aftermarket exhaust, it was much smaller and far enough away where I was comfortable with the heat. I don’t remember exactly how much room a 700 has but it should be similar
I simply took angle iron across to the suspension mounts so it could bolt up there, notched it for the winch plate and welded. Welded two flat bars to go down across receiver itself. So in actuality it only needs the two bolts to the suspension and a hitch pin. No modification to the machine it’s it’s simple to take off if needed.
It’s strong, I’d trust it way more then factory front mount. It’s been on two machines.
View attachment 174316 View attachment 174317 View attachment 174318
i did even think about using the receiver pin hole. i love that. ill have to bring it out a little to make it work on the 700. you use the quick pin connectors? those 2 wire 4 ga. style ones for the wire?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
i did even think about using the receiver pin hole. i love that. ill have to bring it out a little to make it work on the 700. you use the quick pin connectors? those 2 wire 4 ga. style ones for the wire?

I wish I had used a connector but no, good idea and I would suggest that. I bought a used set of 25ft 0 gauge jumper cables. I’d rather use cables because it’s much cheaper and the casing on the wire is much thicker. Always done that with good luck, same with stereo amp wire.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
I wish I had used a connector but no, good idea and I would suggest that. I bought a used set of 25ft 0 gauge jumper cables. I’d rather use cables because it’s much cheaper and the casing on the wire is much thicker. Always done that with good luck, same with stereo amp wire.
well my battery is about 2 ft away from where the winch will be. thinking of mounting the selenoid to the outside of my battery box. stubby with connector off that would make for a quick disconnect.

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
‘17 1000-5

KFI Stealth 4500

Synthetic

I like it and it has pulled me out a few times. I clean mine after every major trip anyway. Sabine is closed to the house and their area is very sandy so I don’t want that sitting in the rope. I’m gonna buy a replacement for the TO to bring with me as a backup.

Fa808ee60c0d166e5529eca09c403827

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cyberjunk

Cyberjunk

Berserker
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2017
Crane Hill Alabama
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-4
Viper Max 4500 with wire on my P700. I have yet to get stuck and need it but I like the winch.

Buy a synthetic one and keep in your ride , the wire one after a coupe uses will get kinked and frayed . Replace it with the synthetic one then .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Toyhauler33

Toyhauler33

Lifetime Member
Jan 29, 2016
Mid Ga
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a KFI Stealth 4500 w/ synthetic rope on my 2016 P1K5. I have replaced the rope once in the four years it been in service.... snatching on the rope is not an ideal solution, but I stalled the winch trying to recover my buddies Viking and snapped it. The synthetic spends alot of time underwater or covered in mud/ sand, but it had endured so far. My preference is synthetic line for anything under 10,000lbs.77e8503ef5c149cd710f639352704a5e

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm running a super winch terra45. I changed from steel to synthetic cable and love it. As @CumminsPusher said when it breaks and it will it can be tied back together and get you out of a pinch. I also don't miss having to use gloves to handle the cable.

Buggyman

Buggyman

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm running a super winch terra45. I changed from steel to synthetic cable and love it. As @CumminsPusher said when it breaks and it will it can be tied back together and get you out of a pinch. I also don't miss having to use gloves to handle the cable.
agree 100% running same setup on mine and love it,much safer

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!