P1000 Winch wiring ?

J

Jakey

May 30, 2016
San Francisco Bay Area
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have installed my Superwinch 4500 and am finishing the wiring. I am only planing to use the wired remote, and will put the plug in the dash where the warning plaque was. I see no need to connect the switch to a key on hot, since it will only be used with the wired remote and the rig will be running when that happens. I am planning to take the wire meant for a keyed on connection straight to the battery. Anyone see a reason not to do this?

J

JTW

I have installed my Superwinch 4500 and am finishing the wiring. I am only planing to use the wired remote, and will put the plug in the dash where the warning plaque was. I see no need to connect the switch to a key on hot, since it will only be used with the wired remote and the rig will be running when that happens. I am planning to take the wire meant for a keyed on connection straight to the battery. Anyone see a reason not to do this?
I wouldn't do that... I honestly don't have a good reason other than it will leave your winch hot all the time..and I don't like that! But I'm wiring mine the same with just the remote. Instead of taking the wire and splicing to the key... buy one of these and jump off the accessory fuse under the hood. Then it's keyed all off when the key is off. I'll also use this for the lights on my switches.
Amazon.com: 10 Pack - EPAuto 12V Car Add-a-circuit Fuse TAP Adapter Mini ATM APM Blade Fuse Holder: Automotive

J

Jakey

May 30, 2016
San Francisco Bay Area
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wouldn't do that... I honestly don't have a good reason other than it will leave your winch hot all the time..and I don't like that! But I'm wiring mine the same with just the remote. Instead of taking the wire and splicing to the key... buy one of these and jump off the accessory fuse under the hood. Then it's keyed all off when the key is off. I'll also use this for the lights on my switches.
Amazon.com: 10 Pack - EPAuto 12V Car Add-a-circuit Fuse TAP Adapter Mini ATM APM Blade Fuse Holder: Automotive
My way does not leave the winch hot. It will leave the plug hot, but with nothing plugged in it won't matter. I really see no reason to wire the winch through a keyed on wire. It cant draw anything withought a switch plugged in to make the circuit.

Reactions: sharp
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
IMG 6420
Installation looks fairly simple! Without the rocker I wouldn't see anyway you would accidentally engage the winch with it wired directly to the battery. I run a dual battery setup and have mine hooked up in this way to my secondary...only addition is a winch power on and off toggle!

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
just make sure you fuse the wire right off the battery, theres really no reason you shouldn't to it other than if so one where to try to steal it , they could use your winch to pull it on a trailer

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
just make sure you fuse the wire right off the battery, theres really no reason you shouldn't to it other than if so one where to try to steal it , they could use your winch to pull it on a trailer
Agreed! I should have clarified I have my power wired to a blue seas fuseblock so agree it wouldn't hurt even though it's not called for in instructions from what I can tell.

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This is how I did mine. Pull the fuse for acc, which is the acc through the switch, plug the wire in with the fuse on the left side looking at it, this go though the fuse and only have power when key is on. A easy way that works good.

Reactions: JTW
J

JTW

I think you will have power to the winch all the time.. I thought the keyed wire activated the solenoid which basically would keep the winch hot at all times. So by running it to the battery it's always on. I maybe wrong but that's how I thought it worked?

Reactions: infernored1000
S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What happens you have to large wires that go from the battery to the relay, (the box with all the wires hooked to it) the relay sends power to the winch to operate it in and out. The relay needs a source of power from a 12v source that basically turns it on. The rocker switch tells the relay which way to send power to the winch to go in or out. If the key is on, the winch will operate. If the key is off the winch will not run. If you hook the keyed source direct to the battery, the winch will operate with out the key on. or engine running. I hope that makes sense.

Reactions: THEOLDMAN
S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think you will have power to the winch all the time.. I thought the keyed wire activated the solenoid which basically would keep the winch hot at all times. So by running it to the battery it's always on. I maybe wrong but that's how I thought it worked?
I just wanted to add by using the wire to the ignition switch, is also a safety feature that power cannot go to the winch though the relay if something shorted out, you could shut the key off, that will break the circuit and and help prevent a fire. There are no fuses in the circuit from the battery to the winch.

J

Jakey

May 30, 2016
San Francisco Bay Area
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My winch has an auto-reset breaker inline to the relay. Same setup I use on my crab pot puller. If the control switch isnt plugged in, there is no way for the power to go to the winch. Without it plugged in, it is basically an open circuit. I plan to take the power to the winch controller off of this protected side of the circuit that the relay is on, basically doubling the redundancy. Unless I am not accounting for something....

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your fine with that set up, when you plug in your winch controller that is your key on power.

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
My winch has an auto-reset breaker inline to the relay. Same setup I use on my crab pot puller. If the control switch isnt plugged in, there is no way for the power to go to the winch. Without it plugged in, it is basically an open circuit. I plan to take the power to the winch controller off of this protected side of the circuit that the relay is on, basically doubling the redundancy. Unless I am not accounting for something....
That makes sense, sounds like it should work that way, never thought of doing it that way.

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What I don't understand is why the system was designed to have a keyed source of power to allow the winch/relay to operate. I just figured it was a type of safety device. Can someone help me out on that.

J

Jakey

May 30, 2016
San Francisco Bay Area
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think that designnis intended for someone who plans to use the rocker switch and have it permanently mounted. With the key off power off design, you cut power to the switch when shutting the unit down. My way, the power is cut by unplugging the controller. DC cant flow if it has nowhere to go.

Reactions: sharp and Eltobgi
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What I don't understand is why the system was designed to have a keyed source of power to allow the winch/relay to operate. I just figured it was a type of safety device. Can someone help me out on that.
It is for safety.

S

Someguy

Jun 15, 2016
Krakow Wi.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I think that designnis intended for someone who plans to use the rocker switch and have it permanently mounted. With the key off power off design, you cut power to the switch when shutting the unit down. My way, the power is cut by unplugging the controller. DC cant flow if it has nowhere to go.
Your way does work by unplugging the controller. I guess like you said when using the rocker switch would be the reason that would make sense. Mine has a radio transmitter remote that I use if I wanted to use the winch if I was stuck. Thanks for the response guys.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!