P1000 Accessory Wiring Supplies & Choices

G

GetDux91

Mar 16, 2024
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
Good afternoon!

I've got the blinker/horn kit coming from the store for the 2023 P1000-6. While running the main harness from front to back, I'd like to plan ahead and run some additional wiring while I'm at it (make a dummy harness). That way if I decide to add accessories near the rear of the rig or even in the middle at a later time, I can save time by not having to drop the skid plate and navigate the wires over and over.

Not specifically asking about which gage of wire (there's threads I've found on that).

What are the best options for creating a "harness" on your own? I've seen things such as duplex and triplex wire, is that a better route than just getting a spool of different colored wire and making your own? What type of sheathing would you recommend for those? In terms of wire ends, what would be the best option for a quick plug/play setup - IE, what's the official name for the plug types similar to what come on the factory accessory switch wires under the hood? Lastly, does any big-box store carry these supplies readily? I would rather not wait on an amazon order every time I wanted to initiate a project.

Tagging @Hondasxs as it appears you must create most of the harnesses for the store.

Thanks a lot for your time.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Brett002

Brett002

Feb 28, 2017
Bangladesh
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon R
Go to your local hardware store and buy an extension cord. This is how I run all my accessories to the rear of the machine. The gauge is overkill, but it's there if you need it. Also, easier to fish through the machine.

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Go to your local hardware store and buy an extension cord. This is how I run all my accessories to the rear of the machine. The gauge is overkill, but it's there if you need it. Also, easier to fish through the machine.
@GetDux91
Was just gonna say the same thing.
I did the same to both my rigs, my 16 P1 and my 21’ Talon. Its more flexible, and the sheathing on it is thick and very durable. But I would suggest to go to menards to get it in a roll like I did. (Extension cord wire) You will need it in other places of the rig fo sho.

G

GetDux91

Mar 16, 2024
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
Good idea, thanks for that! That may be especially useful for a heavy gage needs at the rear of the vehicle (see below).

What are you planning to run as far as accessories in the rear.
Unknown exactly at this point, but here is my rough list:

Mid Run (plugs would be somewhere near the back of front seat):
-Dome light (integrated switch) x 2 (front & rear seats) < 1 amp use.
-Soundbar < 8 amp use

Rear Run (plugs would be near the factory "reverse light" plug):
-Small/Mid-Size lightbar (switched) < 2 amp use
-Bed/Receiver Light < 1 amp use
-Sprayer Plug - 8-10 amp (unsure if this is wanted, yet)

Reactions: TxDoc and JenElio
Brett002

Brett002

Feb 28, 2017
Bangladesh
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon R
Another heads up is there is alot of overhead stereos that offer a dome light, so it's sort of 2 for 1. My MTX sound bar has this and I always forget it's there until I'm really far in looking for something to light up the cabin.

G

GetDux91

Mar 16, 2024
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
Another heads up is there is alot of overhead stereos that offer a dome light, so it's sort of 2 for 1. My MTX sound bar has this and I always forget it's there until I'm really far in looking for something to light up the cabin.

Great call!

Reactions: TxDoc
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My generic turn signal kit came with enough excess wire (14 or 16ga ?) to run a "for future use" line front to back. So I did it as I installed the signal kit and wrapped all of it in split conduit. I know where the dead tail is near the tail light. I think you have the right idea of adding a spare run when you're already snaking and zip tying the turn signal wires. If it were me, I'd probably go with 14ga - but you might need more for the sprayer.

Reactions: GetDux91 and TxDoc
G

GetDux91

Mar 16, 2024
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000 6 Crew
My generic turn signal kit came with enough excess wire (14 or 16ga ?) to run a "for future use" line front to back. So I did it as I installed the signal kit and wrapped all of it in split conduit. I know where the dead tail is near the tail light. I think you have the right idea of adding a spare run when you're already snaking and zip tying the turn signal wires. If it were me, I'd probably go with 14ga - but you might need more for the sprayer.

That’s exactly what I was planning for! Thanks for the confirmation.

Reactions: TxDoc

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!