windshield film

R

rickoshea

i'm thinking of installing a hand operated windshield wiper on my hardcoat poly windshield to remove the snow when i'm running my tracks.has any one used the clear window safety film to keep the scratches to a minimum,and if so,how hard is it to remove when it's time to recoat it?

Reactions: ChadD
Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
We were looking at the nascar type stuff a while back but i cant remember the price. Or where we found it at. Just a thought. Maybe worthless.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I tried the Security/shatter film and it dulled the view, so took it off. Got some from Glass shop when building code required it for window next to steps.

R

rickoshea

i just ordered some 4 mil clear safety film and a wiper from amazon.i'm going to give it a try.apparently kerosene works on poly to remove anything from poly sheets.it's got the hardcoat on the windshield and i'm not sure what kind of coating that is.either way i'm going to get scratches eventually so i may as well get in front of it now. i'm hoping someone has done this already but if i have to be the guiney pig,so be it.

R

rickoshea

I tried the Security/shatter film and it dulled the view, so took it off. Got some from Glass shop when building code required it for window next to steps.
think it's worse than the dust and mud from a normal ride,or the steam from the engine while playing in the snow?not trying to be a smart ass,just trying to compare.

Reactions: ChadD and Mudder
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Just think of it as an extra layer of dullness added to the dust and mud. Maybe my stuff was too thick. When its dusty, I change to a half windshield. Let us know how your stuff works. All good, LOL.

R

rickoshea

the thinnest i found was 3 mil.i went with 4.when i trail ride i lose the windshield and wear my half face shield helmet any ways.i'm thinking of a half windshield for the trails eventually.i want better shocks but keep buying other things for it instead.:oops:

Last edited:
R

rickoshea

i just remembered i have 2 sheets of 1/2" lexan up at the cottage.i'm going to test the film on a corner of a sheet and see how it looks.if it looks ok on a piece that thick it should be ok for the windshield.🤞

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
i just ordered some 4 mil clear safety film and a wiper from amazon.i'm going to give it a try.apparently kerosene works on poly to remove anything from poly sheets.it's got the hardcoat on the windshield and i'm not sure what kind of coating that is.either way i'm going to get scratches eventually so i may as well get in front of it now. i'm hoping someone has done this already but if i have to be the guiney pig,so be it.
When mine started messing up it kinda looked like that coating on plastic safety glasses. Silicone based i believe.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Let us know how it works for ya.

Ellinger

Ellinger

Mar 30, 2019
Decatur, IN
Ownership

1. Talon R
Have any of you guys ever tried the tear offs? Something like they use in stock car racing. I’ve always thought it’d be awesome to have peel aways for my windshield just like I had on goggles as a kid. I know they’re pricey but someone could make a killing if they produced them for sxs market

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Have any of you guys ever tried the tear offs? Something like they use in stock car racing. I’ve always thought it’d be awesome to have peel aways for my windshield just like I had on goggles as a kid. I know they’re pricey but someone could make a killing if they produced them for sxs market
Just hope they don’t leave tear offs on the trails like beer cans.

K

Ktulu814

Jul 27, 2020
Johnstown pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I got some clear static cling form decorative films. They will send you sample of different products. Can’t remember the one I got but look around and you’ll find the clear. On a brand new wind shield it makes it a little less clear but if you already have some blemishes it isn’t great. I bout a roll of it for around $30 and it’s enough to do mine twice.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!